Norton blocking uTorrent.exe from running

firntface

I've been using uTorrent for a few months now with no problems in speed or anywhere else. The only catch is that I have to disable Norton and then open the uTorrent process otherwise Norton will not allow it to even start-up. Like I said, when Norton is disabled theres is no problem. Is it absolutely necesarry to forward ports and open sockets, Id like to avoid that if possible. Yeah Yeah "norton is crap", just looking for some useful info, thanks.

Yes, you have to forward ports... there isn't any reason you'd need to avoid it. Allowing traffic through a port doesn't automatically mean the port is opened -- that only happens when an application actually listens on that port. But what's that have to do with Norton blocking µTorrent from running?

Yes, you have to forward ports... there isn't any reason you'd need to avoid it. Allowing traffic through a port doesn't automatically mean the port is opened -- that only happens when an application actually listens on that port. But what's that have to do with Norton blocking µTorrent from running?

My main point to my post was that uTorrent doesnt execute when norton is running, the program crashes, but when Norton is off there is no problem. So I was just looking for some info...

Firon: What then is a viable alternative to Norton... I always assumed that since Norton is the most common internet security system, that they would have much more capital to invest into R&D then any other competing business...

That's definitely not the case. Norton (as you already know) is absolutely horrible, and it might just be because of them getting big heads from being the market "leader." A better one might be Kaspersky Internet Security 2006. I've used it with no problems so far... then again, I had no issues with ZoneAlarm Security Suite too, so YMMV.

And about my question... I was sorta having trouble relating the opening of ports to having Norton's "protection" enabled =P

Archived