Running uTorrent causes my whole computer to slow down. New problem.

Zekk

I've been using uTorrent since version 1 and I've never had this problem before. It only started happening a few days ago. Here's what's happened in the last few days.

I've been overclocking my new memory which I got about a week ago. I've been overclocking my CPU also. I merged two partitions using partition magic. My disk space has been real low lately. These three things I don't believe are what caused the problem. What I think caused the problem is when I tried to delete torrent+data one of the torrents I was downloading it gave me an error but the torrent was removed from my uTorrent list and uTorrent froze. I restarted my computer and deleted the file manually from my drive. When I opened uTorrent I left it running and didn't pay it much attention until my computer started bogging down real slowly. It felt as if I had some huge memory leak or if my CPU usage was slowly being eat up. Both of which, given the monitoring software I was using, were not the problem. However my harddrive light stays on consistently, even when I close uTorrent. Eventually my computer would get so slow if I wanted to restart I'd have to do a hard restart. The only way I've gotten rid of the hd light staying consistently is by closing utorrent and deleting all registries that corespond to utorrent, just closing utorrent isn't enough.

One other condition worth mentioning. My utorrent speeds would be capped at 10kb/s. I had 5 files that were about 5gb in size and after utorrent crashed it took forever performing a check on these 5 files. I left it running overnight and ran out of disk room, the download capped solved itself overnight when the files finished checking.

Oddly enough I've solved the problem as I'm typing this message. I went and deleted all the torrents I had going on uTorrent as well as the files. That seems to have solved the problem at least for now. I'll load up some new torrents and see if the problem persists. I uninstalled Nod32 just in case but that wasn't the problem. Oh yes one other note, I tried changing the disco.read.cache from 1200-200000 which also proved ineffective.

Edit - I started up some new torrents and after about 3 the problem started occuring again, I tried removing the torrents and after the first one my uTorrent crashed. Fortunately this time I didn't need to go and delete any registeries to fix the problem. Closing uTorrent seems to be enough.

I downloaded the beta and after the files finished checking from the last crash it seems to be running fine. I'll let you know if the problem comes up again. Yes both primary and secondary IDE are set to DMA.

Archived