How to forward ports without a firewall/router

Wes

I've been using Utorrent for a long time now, but that was on a different computer where we had a router, etc. Now I'm on a connection which is directly from the modem, no router or anything, and I'm wondering how I go about getting things working with Utorrent again. We really don't use a firewall (yet), so all I have is the RCA modem which Cogeco supplied us, and our computer .... how do I go about getting things in running order here?

I must be screwed up somehow...when I test whether my port is open, I get this message "Warning! Port 32459 can not be checked. Your browser is setup to connect through a proxy. This script will not work through proxied connections." I'm not all that familliar with computers, but I can figure this out with some direction...thanks!

PS Do I still need a static IP set up?

That really doesn't help me too much .... so what does it mean? What do I need to do? Cause I had Utorrent running fine on here when I had 2 computers and a router was being used. Now that the router's been eliminated, does that mean I can't forward ports?

Firon - So what does that mean I need to do?

Ultima - Well, there's SOMETHING I need to do, because the port's that I try (regardless of what they are) are not open, and Utorrent does not connect.

Ok, so you're saying that I shouldn't need to set up any port forwarding, nor static IP, or configure ANYTHING in order to get this to work? Why, then, does Utorrent's test on the specified port not work?

Hello,

FINALLY I have found someone with the exact problem that I am experiencing. Don't worry Wes it is a real issue and I am also looking for a solution. If I find one I'll post it; could you do the same?

Like Wes I have recently removed a router and now have only one pc connected to the internet. Unfortunatly it is the secondary computer that was connected to my home network. My primary computer (now disconnected as it crapped out on me) had no problems running µTorrent. I then switched computers and removed the router and now have no download or upload abilities. The error I get is "Unable to map UPnP port to xx.xx.xxx.xx:39185" and since µTorrent worked before it can only mean that the settings associated with the router are interfering now.

Something I didn't try yet was hooking the router back up and seeing if I can download ... hmmmm. My final recourse is to re-install xp and go from there. I'll keep you updated Wes and anyone else having this issue (from what I've been reading there are alot of peeps with this issue).

No, the router settings have nothing to do with it. UPnP isn't working now because there IS NO UPnP device to communicate with. You issue isn't related to Wes' because Wes' ISP is proxying his connection, while yours is just a case of UPnP erroring out for the right reasons.

Thanks for responding Ultima ( great game by the way),

I'm not quite sure I understand but what you're saying is that UPnP is not necessary if you have no router? If that is the case then I have been hunting for an answer to the wrong problem.... If I could just find my XP disk ... lol. I think that since Wes hasn't responded for a while, he has gone the way of a re-install.

The ONLY thing I do know is that the only thing that has changed is the removal of the router. Maybe next week I'll re-do the HD. I just hate not being able to solve a problem.

Thx anyway Ultima.

I haven't done anything because nothing's been suggested to me. A re-install of windows hasn't fixed the problem. I think there's something that needs to be configured - maybe just within the modem itself. Who knows. Seems like this whole idea of getting Utorrent to work without a router just isn't going to happen since those who are trying to help me out here, really aren't giving me much help besides ambiguous, short, unexplained 'answers'.

Thanks for your help though people. I'll find a way to get this workin - sometime.

What's unexplained about the transparent proxies thing? If you're behind a transparent proxy, µTorrent can't check your IP directly, since your ISP hides you behind their proxy. What's not to understand about that? In any case, do you have a green light in the status bar? If so, everything should be fine. Find your real IP address (not the proxy's) and put it in the report options.

I see Wes is still here ... good .. but. So you did a fresh install? And still no joy. I just did the same and am getting all the updates installed before I try anything. I'll keep posting until I have success.

P.S.

I can't speak for Wes but when you start talking "transparent proxies" and such my eyeballs start spinning and I pass out ... lol.

Bleh... proxies are machines you connect through to access the content you want. The information passes through that machine and comes to you, but the content server doesn't necessarily see you (though they can if the proxy sends your information, which it usually does). A transparent proxy is a proxy that you're using without any configuration on the client side (your browser or whatever). It's basically a ISP-wide proxy that you are forced to connect through by... your ISP.

AAAhhhhhhh .... I see. RIGHT ... lol. No matter really. I am currently installing updates so I'll see what happens.

Just so all you helpers know ... thx for all replies for those of us ... less enlightened shall we say. Your help does not go unnoticed.

Try for better, and use the speed guide (CTRL+G) to set the upload speed no higher than your connection can sustain. (The sustain speed is almost always considerably below max speed.) You may even want/need to use Scheduler to get the most out of your connection...if your ISP slows your connection at various times of the day.

Ultima - There were a lot of things unexplained. I realize that you know what you're talking about, but you need to realize that some people (like me) don't. For example, not knowing WHAT a proxie is meant any 'explaining' you did was useless to me. lol Guess I should have been more apparent with my lack of computer knowledge. Anyway,

Chaz - how'd you open the port in Windows firewall? Just when the bubble popped up when you tried to run Utorrent for the first time? Or is there a way to get into the firewall's configuration?

LOL WELL, I think I have things somehow figured out. I must have been trying to download a shitty torrent or something, and that combined with Utorrent's tool to check my port not working, made me think things were messed up. I just downloaded a program at an average speed of about 220 Kb/s. lol Great!

Archived