Help with Public Wireless connection without router access

ustar

After searching thru the posts and not finding needed answers I decided to begin this new post, thanks for your understanding.

I connect from Laptop via wireless connection @ local university.

I use ZoneAlarm.

uTorrent works ok but would like to optimize my usage of this fine client and eliminate as many errors as possible.

Symtoms:

1) Red light at bottom of uTorrent screen reports:

"Not connectable. Firewall/router is limiting traffic. You need to open port so others can connect to you."

2)µTorrent Port Checker reports:

"Checking port 32459 on 154.20.32.55... Error! Port 32459 does not appear to be open."

Can anyone make suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

IM:dforion at hotmail dot com

You can't configure a router, to which you don't have access (like in university).

So you can't forward any port. Perhaps you get access with UPnP, but normaly you have no chance.

You'll have a red network icon forever. So you don't get any incoming connections, but utorrent will work. Not as good it could be, but it works.

ZA makes no problem, you only have to allow utorrent.exe (or beta) to run (4 green hooks normaly).

You'll have a red network icon forever. So you don't get any incoming connections, but utorrent will work. Not as good it could be, but it works.

ZA makes no problem, you only have to allow utorrent.exe (or beta) to run (4 green hooks normaly).

Thank you.

I used to get the yellow light, but it seemed to changed when I changed my concurrent connections from 10 to 50.

What do you mean by green hooks?

Also, should I change my port number?

Archived