Green light, bad download speed with odd problem.

ogreone

This is a strange problem:

I've got green light, it says port is accepting connections.

However, either though I have the ports as exceptions in windows firewall, if I don't disable it altogether I get 0.0 upload speed. And, sometimes my upload will just go to 0.0 even when I do disable windows firewall.

BUT, I am getting bad download speed all the time, and I can't figure out why: (we're talkin' no more than 10kb/s download at any given time). My connection has a solid 150KB/s download and about 40KB/s upload. And it's not my connection being slow either: I can be downloading something off gamershell or whatnot at 130-150KB/s while im only getting 5-10KB/s off torrent.

The weirdest part of this is my brother which is hooked up on the same network (3 way connection) gets ripping speeds on his, even though our settings are the same...odd.

Any help on what the hell I could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally baffled by it.

Do you and your brother use different ports in µTorrent?

And are both port-forwarded to the right computers?

Do you have any incompatible software (according to the FAQ)?

Have you run the 3rd party half-open connection limit patcher lately?

What half-open settings and connection rate are you using in µTorrent?

Do you and your brother use different ports in µTorrent?

Yes. Should we use the same?

And are both port-forwarded to the right computers?

You mean like his forwarded to *.*.*.100 and mine forwarded to *.*.*.101? Yes.

Do you have any incompatible software (according to the FAQ)?

No I'm not using any software on the list, however I do have nod32 (so does my brother though, and he downloads fine). Also, I do have a WRT54G router but it has up to date firmware. Is there something I should check in my nod32 settings?

Have you run the 3rd party half-open connection limit patcher lately?

What is this half-open connection limit patcher? I've never heard of it, so no I haven't ran it. Should I?

What half-open settings and connection rate are you using in µTorrent?

I don't know what half-open settings are, but I've got my download limited to 100kb/s and my upload limited 20kb/s, is this alright?

Thanks Switeck, keep the help coming please! Greatly appreciated.

Each computer should be using a different port -- otherwise your router would be forced to forward both ways and your computer might get packets meant for his and vice-versa!

Half-open connections are like a telephone call...the moment you pick up the phone and dialed out, the other side hasn't answered yet, so the connection is 'half-open'. Win XP SP2 limits half-open connections allowed at once (at least per application) to 10 by default. Somebody made a 3rd party hack to increase that limit from 10 to typically 50, but can be user-set higher. (However setting it much higher actually can cause connection overload problems too!)

So if µTorrent is trying to make a bunch of connections and the ips it's trying are firewalled...more and more connection attempts are tied up TRYING to connect.

Under µTorrent's advanced settings is something for how fast µTorrent makes half-open connections. It MUST be lower than whatever value your version of windows can handle.

Archived