TCPIP.SYS Updated

jsillup

Hmm, I'm sorry about this but I was wondering whether anyone could help me with applying the patch? I'm not too sure if I should ask here, so if I shouldn't, could someone please just delete my post? Thanks.

Basically the problem is, when I try to apply the patch, I get an error saying 'A device attached to the system is not functioning'. I've looked on the internet and haven't been able to find an answer. (Although on the Microsoft site, it had the same error, and what would seem to be the same situation as the one I'm in, trying to open up a MsDos program. However it turned out it applied to Windows 98' and I am running XP :S). I was just wondering whether anyone else has had this problem and has been able to solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Optime

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This program helped increased speed forawhile. I raised it to 99 since I was told on other forums that 100 would cause issues? Magic number? Does anone have any info on this? Anyway it increased from 15. MB to 3-4 MB Although I have a 10 /2 MB full pipe from verizon I want to use all of it. Any suggestions for number of connections to be open and settings in utorrent to take advantage of all the bandwidth?

Also if I have port forwarding setup already, is there any advantage to setting up UPNP? If I enable UPNP in the program and in the router, should I then delete the port forwarding routes I have setup?

Thanks! SOrry for all the Q's

Thanks!

No, 100 doesn't cause issues. Just try not increase it past that. Though nothing adverse would immediately come from increasing the limit past it, it's not advisable, as most applications don't require that many, and anything that does is either coded improperly, or doing something malicious. Select xx/2mbit in the Speed Guide, and you should be fine. If you have port forwarding set up correctly, then don't bother with UPnP, unless you want to help test it, in which case you should unforward the port and enable UPnP. If you have problems with UPnP, post the Logger stuff here.

• 2 weeks later...

No its a new small exe 100kb file you run and dosn't prompt you about replacing system files like before.

It is Human nature.

My mate Spends Thousands & thousands on his cars just to make them go just that bit better.

Go to overclocking forums and you will see what unusual & expensive things people will do to get a few extra points in benchmarking!

As long as I percieve it is better I will try it.

• 3 weeks later...

does this patch work with 2k3? i have read up on it and everyone says 2k3 has the same restriction as xp but xp's kernel version is 5.1 and 2k3 is 5.2 ( i believe ) so is this patch compatible with 2k3's kernel version? cheers for any help as my downloads are suffering and i have 8 meg with little or no speeds most of the time

• 2 weeks later...

I'd imagine there might be a problem if resolve ips or show country flag is enabled in µTorrent, as the DNS calls may be UDP and may not count towards µTorrent's set half-open limits -- as it's handled by the Win OS at a lower level. So even if you set µTorrent to lower half-open limits than TCPIP.SYS, there still might be times where it could top out higher than its set limit.

I've heard each application gets its own half-open limit, so even on a box limited to the 10 default that means each application can have up to 10 before problems arise.

Even if Windows (after patching TCPIP.SYS) handles a high half-open limit just fine, software such as Zone Alarm and Norton firewall...and hardware such as Belkin and D-Link routers may not!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your explanation,

so when i see error

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect attempts."

in my events list i should not care about that?

And I whould not set number of total connection to be about 50? (as it was the limit)

I guest i mixed incomplete and total connections in my mind, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let all the naysayers about the patch know.....

My pc would freeze when i switched on Utorrent after a certain amount of time.

At first i thought it was zonealarm, switched that off, same thing again.

Noticed the tcpip error in the system log.

Anyhoo, to make a long heartbreaking story short, after installing this patch through safe mode, utorrent works like a charm and web browsing is much, much faster than before (with Ut downloading and seeding).

Hola, I'm brand new to uTorrent, does the patch make that much of a difference? Also, where could I find info on how to import files from BC to UT? Thanks in advance, and seems like a great community you guys have here!

Cheers :)

BTW, just downloaded µTorrent User Manual from Ultima's sig! ;)

Archived