uTorrent not respecting minimum announce time

atm999

First, don't tell me it's the tracker's fault, I have proof the uTorrent did it.

So I am seeding a torrent and it is getting the error. I look at the status and it is going to update in another 2 minutes so I sit and watch it. It updates and is ok, no error. It now says it will update in 59:59 (and begins to count down). I sit and watch it and find that at 3 minutes in (56:59) it updates! There is the problem! Even though the client is saying it will update in an hour, it is updating in 3 minutes.

One it's fixed, it would also be nice to set a user-defined update interval (with a minimum of 30 or the like).

Note: I'm reporting this on behalf of someone else, but I also recieve the error, just not as often as him.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the thing, it only happens to me on some torrents on that one tracker. I am a member of 6 private trackers that I use a fair bit, and use a few public ones as well, and it is only that one tracker having the issue.

tcb

OK, it seems like this issue is not being taken seriously. I have created a video explicitly showing exactly what is happening. I have 3 versions. One is an 11 minute clip, over 6.5megs large, showing the status going from having the error to good, then back again. The next is an abridged version of that time period with most of the waiting cut out, but enough left along with the updates to know what is going on which is just over 700k. The last is my original capture of almost 2.5 hours, and it comes in at over 90meg. I also converted the 700k one to SWF player, and it is only 33k, but alas, I'm not able to upload anything here.

If Firon or ludde or someone else able to investigate it further would like a copy I can email, ftp, create a torrent or just about any other means get it to you. But the main thing is that it is a for real issue, and I would like to help in any way I can to get it fixed.

tcb

p.s. - I left the capture running while I watched some TV with the wife is the reason for the 2.5 hours. I have no idea how many times it got ignored during that time, I just clipped the first time I found for the 2 edits.

@imtcb: If it only happens with one tracker, I'm not sure why your first instinct would be to blame µTorrent.

@atm999: Does it happen with other trackers?

Now, I'm not defending µTorrent on blind faith, but on the fact that I've never seen this issue, whatever torrent I've used.

At first I DID think it was the tracker. I know that they recently implemented an anti-hammering script, so that was most of our initial thoughts. When the tracker admins could not find what was wrong with the script I did more investigating and saw with my own eyes what was happening. What I don't understand is how the problem isn't even being investigated on this side when it is obvious that something is wrong. I'm still not saying for sure that uTorrent is what is wrong, all I know is that the update countdown is not reaching zero before it updates. If it is a tracker issue, why is uTorrent showing it will update in 1 hour, then updating in only a few minutes?

I found some free file hosting. Here are the files:

hxxp://www.box.net/public/zzqkqbmjih - SWF version of the shortest

hxxp://www.box.net/public/9lrrf5n51i - AVI version of the shortest

hxxp://www.box.net/public/q7ok9ts8yl - AVI version of the full 11 minute clip

That host won't allow files over 10meg each, so I can't upload the 2.5 hour one.

I believe the reason it is hard to duplicate is that most trackers do not have the anti-hammer script implemented (so it would go unnoticed), To test this last night I tried it on 2 separate private trackers, nether one has this script but on "hot" torrents 150+ peers and swarm speed over 4MB/s, also with my up speed at over 1000kB/s uT did indeed update at 3min I can also provide a video if necessary to show this behavior. ( Both of these trackers had their announce interval set to 30 min). If staff here would care to test this on our tracker, signups are open. Your test line should have a min 2Mb/s up speed and you should get on a torrent with at least 200 leechers & set upload slots to 50, that should generate the problem.

I would have to think so since uTorrent is setting the interval at 1 hour (what the tracker is set to). It is just that it is not waiting the hour before it updates.

Is there a way that I could see that in uTorrent, or any other app for that matter, to make sure?

tcb

Well crap, is there another way because Ethereal won't install on XP x64 (well, the live data capture portion won't).

The time displayed for 'Update In' isn't the value you are looking for? I'm just not sure what it is that the tracker could be sending to prompt an early update if uTorrent isn't saying it is going to update.

Firon, thanks for replying. I'll try to get someone with more knowledge of the tracker software running at the site I have problems with to find what you need to further investigate this.

Thanks again,

tcb

Archived