Suddenly Slow...Help Please

futurejp

Hi. I tried looking for my problem in the FAQ/forums, sorry if I missed it. I know it's frustrating to see repetitive topics.

I've been using uTorrent for a few months now, and it's always been fine. Then just about two days ago, something weird happened. My torrents started going slower - but you can never be sure if that's a problem or just lack of uploaders letting you download from them.

But whenever I have any active downloads in uTorrent, even if the max speed I'm downloading at is only 5 or 10 k/s, my internet browsing gets very slow.

I used to be able to download at several hundred k/s, I suppose, in uTorrent, and browse the internet fine.

I mean...you know if you click on Options, then Speed Guide, and you can test if your port is forwarded correctly? (which mine is...). If I pause all of my downloads, so I'm not downloading with uTorrent, and then I click "Test if port is forwarded properly", it checks and instantly tells me that it is. It takes much less than a second to do this test and display the webpage. But If I start my downloads, downloading at a total of...9.4k/s (which is unusually slow, and I'm even connected to 18 seeders and 54 leechers for one torrent), and I click the "test" button now, it takes a whole....8 seconds to display the webpage.

I'm sure I explained much more than I needed to, but it's just a weird problem...suddenly, whenever I have active downloads, other things that use the internet (AIM, Firefox, etc. ) seem to be very slow, and even my uTorrent downloads seem slower than usual.

My port is forwarded correctly, as the Test shows, and uTorrent is listed as an exception on my firewall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Well I ran the file from the link I posted in my last post, and it opened the text window, asked me if I wanted to change the value to 50 - yes, no, or change. I did 'change', and typed in 100 (which I've seen on other threads), it asked me if I was sure, I said yes, then it said it was sucessful and I should reboot, so I did. I think that was what I should've done, what you wanted me to do.

What I didn't realize was that uTorrent running doesn't just slow down my other internet-using applications, but it does so for the rest of my family, too, who are also connected wirelessly to the same router as I am.

So maybe I have to patch TCPIP.SYS on all of their computers?

Plus, you simply must use conservative limits for upload and download speeds if it causes slowdowns for a whole network. Upload speed is ESPECIALLY important -- even occassional bandwidth spikes can make websites unaccessable and put pingtimes in games in the 1,000's (of ms).

Yeah, it's just that I've had download speeds of up to several hundred k/s, and high upload speeds, for months now using uTorrent, running during the day and the night, with no problems. Then suddenly a few days ago, one afternoon, every computer in my house started having very slow internet problems, and even one phone, which uses Vonage (which uses the internet) was having problems. And when I closed uTorrent, things went fine. So the sudden change is what I don't understand, why it would start to suddenly act up.

Thanks for trying to help, guys.

For the past 2 days, I was at my dad's house, but I brought my computer (so I could see if it had the same effect there). But nope, torrents ran fine, quite fast, and didn't interrupt internet service at all, on my computer or other computers. And then I brought it back home just now, and yet again, when I download torrents, everything's slow. So that tells me that it can't be my computer, it must be our connection, the network, our router, or something like that. Any suggestions?

Did the 2 connections differ in max speeds POSSIBLE according to speed tests?

If your dad's connection could handle higher speeds -- then your settings may be just fine there.

Also, if you're on Optimum Online ISP (or something similar), they may have throttled the line due to (what they consider) excessive bandwidth useage. So it may be running at 256 kilobits/sec down and 64 kilobits/sec up while throttled!

When you say excessive bandwidth usage, do you mean excessive *connections*, or actual huge speeds? Because remember, the internet gets slow even at uTorrent downloads of even 1 or 2 k/s, so that's not excessive speed, but there might be a lot of connections.

What brand router/s are at each place?

Seems 1's good...and the other's not-so-good/dying.

Also, can you get into the router configuration and see what sort of connections are being made through it when things get REALLY slow?

...they may not be coming from the µTorrent computer!

Archived