v3.4.2.38758: Uploads ignore "bw.alloc". Also choke when limit set.

aylem

I was using some version 3.2 before, and switched to the latest 3.4. Upload bandwidth allocation behaves now oddly. 

The first problem is with Bandwidth Allocation priorities. They are rarely honored. In many cases a "low" priority torrent will choke "high" priority ones. As soon as I manually stop the low priority ones, the high priority ones will start uploading or climb in speed. In other cases it's not complete choking, but higher priority torrents don't get absolute precedence over low ones, nor even a relative boost.

Another problem is with setting an upload limit, per torrent or globally. In many cases it chokes uploading. For example, I had a single torrent uploading at max speed. I set a global upload limit, and shortly after, uploading stopped completely. I noticed it a few minutes later, removed the global upload limit, and immediately that same torrent climbed from 0 to the maximum line speed. I also sometimes see similar behavior on a per-torrent basis. Setting an upload limit on a torrent will severely affect its speed. Sometimes it will recover and reach a steady speed, but other times the speed will get irregular, or will drop to 0.

Are these known problems? Is there a recommended older version to use?

With the current code, that can cause many problems when applying limits, especially if your limits are extremely low.

Not to mention the fact that an increasing number of peers are switching to uTP for their traffic and unless you're limiting it for usage quota reasons, there's not really a good reason to apply the rate limit to uTP.

Archived