Log to file saving to wrong location (I think)

Ultima

I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it's unexpected, and since it sorta violates µTorrent's "self-contained-ness," I'll report it as a bug. Anyhow...

I basically moved my µTorrent settings directory from %appdata%\uTorrent to %programfiles%\uTorrent, but when I use Log to file and don't specify a path, the log is saved to the directory above %appdata%, and not to %programfiles%\uTorrent as it should.

That's odd. I used the installer (for kicks) to install µT after this last reformat but still let it use the AppData dir for file storage because i restored the folder from my backup. I saved a log without specifying because of the UPnP error from the previous betas and it saved in uT's folder in Program Files.

I've been able to reproduce this over and over though... Here are the steps:

1. Move µTorrent's settings directory (%appdata%\uTorrent) to %programfiles% (so it's now at %programfiles%\uTorrent)

2. Move µTorrent's executable into %programfiles%\uTorrent

3. Run µTorrent (start a torrent if it doesn't already do so)

4. Go to the Logger tab, start logging

5. Click "Log to file..."

At this point, a file should be created in the directory above %appdata%.

It's not a bug. µTorrent saves the log file to the current working directory (it won't change, so don't ask). What that directory is can vary wildly. Hell, if you started it with Firefox, your current working dir will be Firefox's. :)

ALWAYS specify a path if you want to be sure of where it'll be saved.

Archived