Trackers not showing my port when I am seeding more than 10 torrents

SJWackness

This is probably the most annoying thing I've encountered with uTorrent and Azureus is that when I have more than about 10 or 15 torrents seeded and I restart uTorrent, the trackers I use don't recognize the ports for all of them. The problem is that if my ports are listed on the trackers then I am not connectable by peers. If I go through and stop all the torrents and then load about 2 or 3 at a time and wait a few seconds between, almost all of the ports are seen by the trackers.

I don't know if I'm alone with this problem because I haven't found anyone else who has a similar complaint or at least made it publicly known. The trackers I use are all private and keep ratio tabs so it hurts me if I am not able to seed properly everythign I've downloaded.

The simplest solution to me would be to allow for torrents to be queued or throttled when the program starts up.

Is there a way to solve this problem without doing anything ridiculously complicated?

The problem is that the reachability checker for that tracker is getting overloaded.

Why exactly do you have over 5 active torrents?

What do you mean? Why do I have more than 5 torrents seeding at once? Because I download about 5 torrents a day and the TTL for them is one month. I have to seed all the torrents I download or it will hurt my ratio.

You might try reducing the number of connections (bt.connect_speed) µTorrent tries to open at once and also reduce the number of half-open connections it allows (net.max_halfopen).

I'll try that. That connection probably may be it. I'm not sure exactly what half-open connections are though.

Firstly, I refuse to believe that the torrents are guaranteed to live for a maximum of only 30 days. Secondly, we're not telling you to download 100 and seed 5 (taking your example). We're telling you download a few, seed them while downloading others. As DWK and I said, the queue management handles everything for you.

The TTL is 30 days. It's a private tracker that kills a torrent after 30 days so that someone else can upload it later.

What you are suggesting is essentially what I do. I download maybe between 2-5 torrents a day from the site. But since the TTL is 30 days, I seed all of my torrents until the tracker kills it. This is how I improve my ratio because eventually it gets to a point where I'm the only one seeding the torrent and I get a 1:1 ratio increase every time.

I don't know if most of you turn your torrents off after 1:1 ratio, but I like to seed until the torrent is killed. I've got a 1.5:1 ratio with 190gigs uploaded. By seeding everything until it's killed is how I've managed to keep my ratio high because I haven't posted a new torrent in months. All of this really isn't a problem except that if I restart my computer every 2 days I have to manually start each torrent and check with the tracker to make sure that the ports are showing up. I've had over 150 torrents seeded at once and the port reported correctly, it just means that I have to spend about 5 minutes to guarantee everything is proper.

Perhaps the problem I have is that I'm not using torrents as they were intended to be used, but this works best for me aside from minor nuisance.

Archived