uTorrent slows my net

ahmed13

Hello,

I have been using torrents since Mininova days for years without any problem but lately I am having issues with net when uTorrent client is open. I can't even surf net, can't open pages properly, can't play an online game, can't even pass the login screen, let alone watching a video on youtube or so. It doesn't matter if I download/upload something or not. Just opening the client kills my net. If I download something at full speed from another source/site I have no problem and I am only having the issue with uTorrent.

I talked with my service provider and changed my modem too but still no luck.

What internet security software do you have installed?

Is the SPI firewall enabled in your router?

Thank you for the reply, I used AVG for years without problem but since I had those issues I am using Avast and it has pretty much the same performance on my general net usage. Both my SPI 1 and SPI 2 looks inactive.

I'm having similar issues, though I don't believe they're unique to uTorrent. 

I tried out Deluge for a while but over the past few weeks download would go at a normal speed, then just slow to a crawl, taking my internet speed with it, so I couldn't browse at all. Downloaded uTorrent again, and it's having the same issues. I don't know enough to know what I'm doing with the settings so I'm wondering if I can get some advice. Internet works absolutely fine when neither programme is open(I uninstalled Deluge before reinstalling uTorrent)

For reference:

Using Avast Free antivirus.

Haven't changed Router or ISP in recent weeks. 

I've tried turning my routers firewall off temporarily, still had the same problem. 

I'm having similar issues, though I don't believe they're unique to uTorrent. 

Yes they are not unique to uTorrent, I tried different builds of uTorrent, Bitlord, Vuze but had the same results. But have no issues when I download via non-torrent programs like Steam or game clients etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be late but I give a shot in the dark here. From my understanding and using utorrent if you don't limit it's bandwidth usage it will use all and any available bandwidth. This is why your internet is slow and anything else you do will slow down or stop responding and you will know because turn off utorrent and your apps will go back to normal accessing. So in order for your other apps to work and run properly you need to adjust the amount of bandwidth utorrent uses to allow the other apps to properly work or use utorrent and not the other apps or close utorrent so the other apps willl function properly. This is my personal experience with utorrent on DSL and if you have a higher internet like Fiber this degradation will not be apparent as much. I now have Fiber upgraded from 8meg to 20meg and the download is night and day. I can torrent and surf the net and my other computers can go online and TV can go online and there is no slow down. So if you have a higher speed preferably Fiber not cable this network slowdown will not be as apparent. By this is from my long time usage of utorrent when it come out after utorrent 1.x up til 2.0.4 and stayed there.

Archived