When 100% is not 100%

Jack_Tripper

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but...

Recently I was leeching a series of APE files and Utorrent said that I was 100% complete and seeding. Upon checking the files with Monkey's audio I found several failed checksums. I restarted the torrent in Utorrent and found to be only 92+% complete!?! I "complete" again and get the same problem in Monkey's audio. I restart again and get 90-something% with a different group of files (previously complete) incomplete!?!?!?

Anyone else have this happening? Anybody have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks,

Jack

Sounds like hard disk or ram failure to me.

The inconsistency of the file damage suggests something other than software problems.

I was afraid of ram failure (in fact I was using BitTornado, had a crash and the program would no longer work - BitTornado faq pointed to ram failure). Could you point me toward some info on how to test ram?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Ran extensive (21 hours worth on a P4 machine with 2GB of ram) tests with Memtest and no errors were found. I will go back and test again later in the week but if anyone else has a suggestion to test disc integrity (I uninstalled Norton's in favor of Nod32 and don't want to go back to Norton's) I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack, don't waste your time. It's not your machine. It is definitely utorrent. I am getting this same exact issue with 1 KB .nfo files. The same files are being downloaded by Bitcomet just fine. Multiple re-tries and re-checks through utorrent will do nothing. The file isn't even there and it keeps announcing that it is 100% then fails at re-check and does the same again when trying to re-download. I've switched to Bitcomet now for this reason. I hope the developers are watching here since I do like utorrent a lot.

@tobassam: It's not µTorrent if it works perfectly without a hitch for almost everyone else. Ever consider your hardware being a problem? Sure, BitComet might work fine on it, but that's because it works in a different way. But you know, if µTorrent's indeed having problems because YOU have a hardware issue on your end, you should probably be more worried about that.

Hmmm... Very strange. I have done a few preliminary checks with SpinRite and with Memtest and things appear to be OK (at least with my limited knowledge of the software and testing procedures). I suppose that further testing may uncover a problem here on my end.

I'll keep you posted.

Jack

Could be your IDE cables too.

Really? I was having a problem occasionally with spontaneous rebooting (I suspected a faulty PS) and possibly I'm geting intermittent connection with power and/or IDE.

I'll try new cables as well since I think I have new ones kicking around here.

Jack

lol my apologies in advanced if it sounds like I'm making excuses and having you try a bunch of different things -- these have been real problems in the past, which is why I'm having you check them now.

No, I do sincerely appreciate the support. It does seem like trying to find a needle in a haystack at the moment but I'm sure that I'll/we'll get to the bottom of it in time.

Thanks for everything,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Well... after switching from Win2K to Xp Pro (which I wanted to do now for a while anyway) the problem still persisted. I then tried removing the 2 original 512 MB sticks of DDR Ram and left in the recently installed 1GB Kingston stick. Shazam! That seems to have done the trick.

I really do appreciate the support on this issue that you folks have offered. If I notice any more occurances of the 100% fallicy I will post it back here (and try changing the IDE cables and such).

Thanks again,

Jack

p.s. No more spontaneous reboots though I will probably invest in a new PS to be on the safe side.

100% is not 100% :(

Is the 1.6 using the memory different than 1.5 ?

I'm having problem with every download i have now, and that was not so often with 1.5..

I'm also one of them who like to se an "automatic hashcheck" option in the future version.

I have read the thing about bad IDE cables and bad RAM, but how do you check your IDE cables ?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived