MooPolice steals µT PEX messages.

osm0sis

so i just made a joke about MooPolice in the other thread here and while i was at their website i noticed this on the MooPolice Forums (the bolding is what i'm pointing out):

MooPolice version 1.4.0 is out. It is based on libtorrent 0.9.2. Therefore there are major internal changes. This also resulted in a different version for Windows NT4.

NEW

:D WEB seed

;)uT PEX read support (means MooPolice receives those PEX messages and uses them but does not send such messages)

:cool: DHT nodes from the main table are now saved between sessions and there is an option for a default bootstrap node

what a thieving jerk. if you're going to take PEX messages, you should have to reciprocate, i believe this qualifies them as a "cheating" client, yes? good thing nobody uses it :P

yeah, true, it does make the connections, but the µTorrent users MooPolice is taking the PEX info from don't benefit by getting any peers that it might not have from the MooPolice client. also, in order for it to get the PEX messages it would have to be connected to the µTorrent client already, so maybe in a very very roundabout way the extra peers might eventually get back to the µT client, but it's not really fair. i realise no standard for PEX is really part of the protocol as yet, but if the few that have supported it thus far set any kind of precedent, this guy is basically going against the protocol, and if not that, then at least the basic principle of BitTorrent: share and share alike.

... in order for it to get the PEX messages it would have to be connected to the µTorrent client already, so maybe in a very very roundabout way the extra peers might eventually get back to the µT client ...

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would the extra peers get back to the µTorrent client just by connecting to MooPolice?

Edited for clarity (added quote)

Meh I didn't know it had its own implementation of PEX, so I removed that note.

Someone obviously neglected to note that MooPolice's PEX implementation isn't bi-directional on the Wikipedia page comparing clients... I graciously fixed it for that person ;P

If MooPolice at least can read µTorrent PEX messages, then it probably can connect to ips gotten from PEX.

Once those connections are made, traffic can be both up and down.

MooPolice not playing fair with the PEX-found connections is a bigger concern than it being able to read µTorrent PEX messages but not being able to send µTorrent-compatible PEX messages. ...so is MooPolice cheating like BitComet did?

Probably soon, a MooPolice version will be able to send µTorrent-compatible PEX messages. Being able to read them is just a first step.

umm. been using torrents for a while but never heard some of theses terms what is PEX messages and how is MP stealing it and i never heard of MP until i got to the µtorrent forum. i was on there site just saw the screenshot and i was discusted by there visual style u WILL NEVER SEE ME USING MP

For Beta-testing sake, it isn't a bad idea to be able to read PEX messages but not send out PEX messages.

That way, you don't try to impliment PEX both ways...then wonder where the bug/s came from.

It would also be a bigger problem if MooPolice started sending out corrupted PEX messages.

We saw something similar to that with Alt-Locs (alternate locations in ip:port form for a file) on the Gnutella network. ...wasn't pretty.

Archived