DHT Not Working? Things to check.

DreadWingKnight

I've worked out what the problem is.

The tracker port needs to have TCP/UDP traffic allowed not just TCP traffic, then it'll work,.

You'll probably find that while your main port has TCP/UDP traffic allowed, the tracker only has TCP.

No idea why UTorrent is stuffing up like this but that seems to be what the problem is.

Merged double post(s):

Turning off all firewalls might make UTorrent work great but it'll also allow for all that spyware etc be allowed to go off and have a ball at your expense.

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Please do not double post.

Please the fourm would be running on a SQL database, read up how how many reads/writes can be made in 1 second a SQL server, if the server is falling over then get a faster server that can handle the load of the programs running on it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me if I am being unreasonable, but I am not willing to give up my firewall. Is it too much to expect that utorrent behaves with a firewall installed? Besides that I have reproduced the same problems with and without a software firewall installed. I'm running out of ideas here. With regards to the tracker ports on TCP/UDP, would I be correct in thinking that there is nothing I can do about the tracker ports at my end?

silverfire: Would you care to explain why software firewalls are of no help.

Others are have been able to get µTorrent running with their software firewalls without issues, so I'm confident you fall under the 99% of cases where the problem belongs with whatever is between the keyboard and the chair. Additionally, I'll refer to my tried and true analogy for software firewalls being a guard that lets a murderer in and then tells him to get out, while a hardware firewall is one that not only refuses to let the murderer in, but doesn't even let him know that there's anyone inside the house.

I was only refering to the nature of the comment, which was somewhat derisory. The comment clearly questions my part in the problems I have been experiencing. I have a good understanding of the technologies in use here, and value the opinions of others, hence my appearance here. We can all share knowledge without being condescending. Again, and honestly, I thank everyone's input.

Merged double post(s):

Back to the topic in hand, and my apologies for any unrest. I'm starting to think that my ISP may have a part in my connection issues. I have been doing some reading on the use of traffic shaping here in the UK. It seems that since the move to 8mbps broadband, ISPs are being pressured to 'control' thiers users bandwidth use. I might just be grasping at straws here, but the intermittant nature of the problems I have been experiencing are causing me to look further for explaination.

EDIT: You're quite right when it comes to intelligence. I stand corrected.

EDIT2 by silverfire: Please do not double post.

True, it's always a possibility that your ISP is at fault, but I don't think you would've been lucky enough to slip through their throttling/blocking even once if it were a global thing... I don't have any *actual* better explanation myself, but that's just my view on that. So let's try this...

1. Uninstall your firewall (again if you reinstalled it)

2. Enable Windows Firewall (it should be able to let µTorrent through, assuming you set µTorrent to add the Windows Firewall entry)

3. Disconnect your router, and connect your modem directly to the computer

If this works, then it's not your ISP, but some configuration issue, or probably a crappy router (I'm assuming you have no other security software that would block connections here).

• 4 weeks later...

Most windows software firewalls, hook into the network card drivers and intercept all packets before hitting windows, Have these set to block ports etc and you won't get any packets.

The WinXP Firewall, blocks incoming packets only, (as per MS) therefore if you allow UTorrent inself to setup the winXP firewall you'll find... if you take a look and setup the rules properly yourself, that all incoming UDP packets for UTorrent are blocked because their isn't any rules saying to allow UDP traffic to UTorrent.

The only major differance between a hardware firewall and a software one is the hardware one is in another box but it's still a software firewall ruuning the show, your computer just doesn't have the berden of running the firewall on it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I am trying for the last 4 days to make the DHT work I even reinstalled Windows on one of my computers. I always used uTorrent and I was not worried for the DHT not working but now I am.

I have a neighbor that is using uTorrent and he is hooked on the same Internet Provider and his DHT is working fine.

I followed al the instructions and I tried all the ideas on this forum... NOTHING! Same yellow triangle or red dot. In this moment I am runing a fresh windows instalation with none of the security enabled.

I tried Azureus... same thing, as well Bit Comet... surprise is working and is working even with the firewall on.

I am runing out of any ideas. What is going on?

I don't want to use any other client because I think this is "The One"

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

This might be an obvious answer, but I have been having this problem (just noticed it *and* just switched from Azureus to UTorrent to save memory) and I just now unchecked "Enable DHT" (also unchecked "Enable for New..."), applied it, checked that DHT was disabled, Rechecked the boxes, and DHT logged in immediately. Up to 220 nodes now. Not sure if its a real solution, or how long it'll last. Also feel free to delete this post if I'm throwing out stupid info. But FYI deleting my DHT.dat and Dht.dat.old files also worked (briefly), but it also made my Utorrent have to recheck every torrent I have running, which is around 50, and that took an absurd amount of time.

Wanted to update that this doesn't work every time, and in fact stopped working after the first time. However, for some (probably unrelated) reason I am now showing 200+ nodes again, after being stuck at the Login for a long time.

I am having the same problem, i have 1.6, a a day ago it was working, now it is not.

i DONT have ZoneAlarm, so none of this is helping me, I have McAffe, but I shoudlnt be having these problems if the program worked before, it is all of a sudden.

I dont have a listening port... but the DHT worked before

I am having the same problems with DHT. A day and a half ago it was working fine. Today it wont connect saying 0 nodes waiting to connect. I dont have a firewall installed. Nothing has been added or changed since yesterday. No settings for the program or any have been adjusted by me. I have followed all the suggestions posted except for the ones about the firewalls of course to alleviate this problem. Nothing has worked. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Now it is saying waiting to log in and 0 nodes(login).

Same fore me. Couple of days ago everything was fine, now DHT just doesn't work anymore. I'm running Vista with the Windows Firewall, UDP and TCP ports are forwarded correctly, µTorrent shows the green icon. I tried to start with fresh settings, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

Of all the problems I've had with Zone Alarm Pro - there was no problem with utorrent & ZA. Had this same problem as others have described after udating to Utorrent 1.6. Tried new rule in ZA, but did not solve problem showing 0 nodes & waiting to log in. However followed the 3 steps outlined by DreadWingKnight & problem was solved. Thanks!!! =)

hello...

i have same problem with DHT...everything works fine until yesterday when DHT nodes stops to working...

im using windows firewall,and i try all steps that been put it here

1> UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function.

2> (If DHT has worked before) Try adding torrents from http://opensource.depthstrike.com/?category=utorrent so that different DHT bootstrap (login) information can be tried.

3> Shut down uT, Remove dht.dat and dht.dat.old from %appdata%\utorrent and retry step 2.

...i even uninstall 1.6 & install new 1.6.1 BETA b481...and when i do these 3 steps,DHT nodes starts to work normally...but when i shut down utorrent and after while i open it again...DHT nodes don`t work again...

what is a problem...truely i dont know do i need to "UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function" in Windows Firewall...and truely i dont know how to do that!!!

i dont wanna to change great torrent client like uTorrent...becuz IT ROCKS !!!

pls help!!!

thanx!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Unfortunately Ive tried all of the things suggested but am still having the same problem.

Im trying to setup a friends PC who uses exactly the same ISP as me. Ive setup uTorrent on two different PCs (home and work) and it works fine. I basically set the port forwarding and it works fine straight away!!

However with my mates PC nothing seems to work!!

Ive setup the port fowarding and have tried the steps that DreadWingKnight mentioned howver DHT has never worked from what I can tell.

Im using the windows firewall and have added an exception for the port that utorrent is using for boht udp and tcp, Im not sure if I need to add anything else?? Ive also tried disabiling it and that doesnt change anything.

It seems to change sometimes from waiting to login to login to 0 nodes and sometimes its connected to 2 or 3 but the speed stays at about 1k. Its madness. Ive also tried bit Lord and it does the same thing!!!!

Im at my wits end as Ive gone through the forums and it appears that some people are able to solve the problems and others arent so there just doesnt seem to be a real solution.

Ive even tried clicking my heels together three times and that didnt work either!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I throw my mates pc through the window or he throws me!!!

Cheers,

Jared.

• 1 month later...

Archived