Need help fixing disconnects while using befsr41 and wrt54g

Rev_North

I've read over the utorrent help page and noticed that there are issues with the befsr41v4 and with wrt54g routers. I happen to use both. However, after reading the help and following some steps to help resolve the issue I still can't quite figure it all out (I'm a newbie with router stuff, so its a little hard for me)

My setup :

Comcast cable modem ---> plugs into Befsr41v4.1 etherfast cable router ---> plugs into Wrt54gv4 wireless router

I recently fixed my error with port forwarding by making a static IP and forwarding that so my speeds are pretty good I think (around 30-100kb/sec depending on the torrent)

However, after a torrent runs for, anywhere from 1 minute to 4 or 5 hours, my connection suddenly goes down and I have to powercycle the modem and routers.

From what I've read so far on forums and such, I've updated my firmware and such...my befsr41v4.1 is 1 day old and the firmware on it is newer than even posted on the linksys webpage, and my wrt54g v4 is using the latest dd-wrt firmware that I could find.

I altered my MTU settings on the befsr41 router based on what I could find from linksys's knowledge base as well. The disconnects still occur.

I followed a link to a page that helped with doing some kind of start up scripts for dd-wrt used on wrt54g router that possibly fixes speed/disconnect issues but I really didn't understand the instructions at all - I have no idea what an ssh client is and how to operate it to get that stuff to work.

I'm really sorry about posting this because I know you all have probably seen it a hundred times, but if someone could PLEASE help me by saying what they have done in the past to fix it or suggestions other than 'update firmware, fix mtu, blah blah' then please please help. If you can explain that startup script stuff in more depth I would appreciate it if you think that will work.

By the way, I have tried to fix this problem for a week now, my previous router was a befsr41v3 and I bricked it by accident when I tried to update the firmware over a wireless connection (woops), now I own a befsr41v4.1 which the linksys call support don't even recognize as an official linksys product yet, go figure, so they are pretty much no help at all on fixing anything.

Also, from reading other posts and such, my best guess is that this is some problem with connections from all the clients on the torrent...because my internet doesn't go down any other time than when I am torrenting. Thanks if any of you can help it's very appreciated.

I'm sorry like I said I'm a newbie to the whole routing situation. All I know is that I use my wrt54g at college for wireless and I just came home for the summer so I just ended up plugging it into the router here at home because I didn't want to mess anything up. My home computer is directly connected to the befsr41 and my wireless router is connected to the befsr41 as well, which is what I use on this laptop to wirelessly connect. The internet works with this set up but you think I should just use the wrt54g somehow by itself? Is there anyway to resolve my issue by still using both routers?

networking hub? I'm not sure I should fiddle around with those things unless it is 100% necessary to fix my issue. I appreciate your help because most likely what you're telling me to do is probably the smarter thing to do, but I feel safer leaving it the way it is and not screwing things up unless I have to! =) I just did the putty stuff, I assume I typed it all in right but its quite possible that I didn't do that right either. Do you think the ssh startup script stuff I just typed in would help my issue or no? And thanks for the help so far.

Hm, I can't really say at this point, as I don't know you set everything up. Having 2 routers connected in series is asking for forwarding trouble. You'd have to forward your IP in both routers, and I don't even know if that works, as you likely can't set up a static IP in the second router. Which is why I said bridged mode is the only alternative, which makes using the bridged router entirely pointless in the first place.

Oh if you're talking about port forwarding, that is working great. All I had to do was create a static IP for my wireless network by going into its properties and then I forwarded that from my wired router and it passes the port test for utorrent. And, so far, my internet hasn't disconnected so far since I got that start up script stuff running...soo....maybe its all fixed and the villagers will rejoice!? I'll keep my eye on it, but as far as I know if anyone has a similar problem to mine, read the utorrent help about ssh for the dd-wrt firmware it worked so far on stopping disconnects!

Well, it eventually went down, but about about 7 1/2 - 8 hours of constant torrenting. The highest speed I saw it go up to was around 140'ish but it stayed consistent around the 100's until it tapered off to 0 around 8:40 this morning. So, apparently either I was lucky or the disconnect is just prolonged now. Either way, I guess it's getting better. I can keep trying stuff I guess.

I have a befsr41v2 (ancient thing!) that bogs down something horrible if I don't reset it every 3 days or so.

It will bog down within an hour or 2 if I try to run µTorrent with more than 100 connections at once.

But if I keep connections fewer than 80 and don't exceed my upload or download speeds, I can keep torrenting away for probably a week or 2 straight without reset.

Apparently comcast = shite

I plugged directly into my modem (surfboard sb3100...which as far as I know is 5+ years old anyway, renting from comcast) and left the torrent on all night, only to find out that the internet had gone down and up a couple of times (no router involved).

So apparently it has something to do with the surfboard (not sure about that) or just the ISP in general.

Glad to hear its not my brand new router atleast or my wireless. Just another instance of me hating the hope devouring beast which is comcast.

Well...any of you have suggestions on what to do now that I've narrowed it down to the isp? Should I bother with them or just deal with the disconnects? I know oddly enough, sometimes I can just hit stop on my torrent during one of the disconnects, let the internet chill for a second, then start up the torrent again and it works fine. Other times I have reboot the modem. I dunno.

Any help would be appreciated.

I went and swapped out my motorola sb3100 for a webstar dpc2100 (the only one comcast offered). I set it up and everything has been running smooth for several hours now (no disconnects) ...so hopefully problem solved? I'll post again if something goes wrong, but so far so good.

Archived