Red Arrows while up/downloading?

louis

Hello All

I've just installed a wireless router to my p.c. and it's causing my upload/download arrows to turn red. When i run utorrent the torrents work fine for about 10 minutes i.e. they are green and blue, but after that they turn red, if i stop then restart the torrents they work ok again for about 10 mins but then turn red again?

I've forwarded my ports and done the port forward test in utorrent preferences and that comes back ok(ports open), the circle in utorrent is green also. When i ran utorrent on my cable modem i never had a problem at all with my trackers it's just now with the wireless router.

I haven't got any extra firewalls besides windows xp, i've tried with this firewall turned off but still got the same results?

Anyone got any ideas please, it's driving me nuts! :-)

Thanks

louis.

Thanks for the link mate :-)....Thing is, i understand what the red arrows mean, what i want to know is why is it doing it? I've been using this particular tracker(wild-bytes) for over a year now and never had any problem with my cable modem, now i've switched to a wireless router i'm getting a problem in utorrent.

I'm pretty sure the tracker is good and i've double checked my settings, just thought somebody might have experienced the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

ok mate thanks for pointing out the TCPIP.SYS patch, i've dowloaded it and applied the patch, i'm still getting the same problem unfortunately. I noticed it automatically set the half-open setting to 50, do you think increasing this number would help at all?

The tracker error message is :- hostname not found.

Thanks again for the reply.

im getting the same prob as louis red arrows u/d did everything louis did but still getting the same problem ....helllp.. using xp with avg i disabled it to no avail..totally confused tried everything firewall... diabled... avg... disabled what now????

I'm using windows XP firewall, i've disabled this though and still get the same results.

This prob has only surfaced since i swapped my usb plug in modem for a wireles router, everything worked perfect before that?

To my knowledge i don't think the router has a firewall, will double check though.

update ...iv tried reinstalling u torrant...still the same ,strange cos before i used bitlord and had no probs but was told u torrant was better..Mmmm i wonder mybe i should change back although i quite like u torrant i just wish it would friggin behave itself and work.....tried everthing now im gettin mad ....HELLLLLLLP somone please

Hiya

Just to follow up on this post i've tweaked a couple more settings and for the last 3-4 hours all has been running ok. Hopefully the problems solved but if not i'll post a.s.a.p. Here is a list of my settings and presuming your ports are open in the utorrent port test and you have a green circle in utorrent :-

Applied the TCP.SYS patch. setting value 50.(thanks ultima)

Increased the net.max_halfopen in utorrent>preferances>advanced to setting value 144. I calculated this value using the calculator at this site:-

http://mav.subfan.pl/utsettings.php

It also calculates some other useful utorrents settings that thus far have worked for me.

In utorrent i've gone to preferences>network then:-

1. unchecked the 'enable UPnP port mapping' box.

2. Set global maximum upload value to 80% of my upload speed(25 kbps)

3. In the 'protcol encryption' drop down i've selected 'forced' and checked the 'allow incoming legacy connections' box

In utorrent preferences>torrents i've :-

1. checked the 'Use additional upload slots' box

2. unchecked the 'enable DHT network' box and unchecked the 'enable DHT for new torrents' box.

I've also disabled my router firewall. XP firewall is on at the moment.

This is only my opinion and might not work for other people, i'm no expert at all so if you do try it's at your own risk.

Mods feel free to step in if i've overstepped the mark.

Thanks.

Increased the net.max_halfopen in utorrent>preferances>advanced to setting value 144. I calculated this value using the calculator at this site:-

http://mav.subfan.pl/utsettings.php

The values that site calculates for half-open connections (in your case 144) is stupidly high and likely to cause hardware problems even IF TCPIP.SYS is patched properly.

The number of upload slots it suggests is too high too, if you're running more than 1 or 2 torrents at once.

My non-connectable torrents seem to be coming from a private tracker which i know for sure there isn't a problem with, they run fine for about 30 mins then disconnect(red arrows), all other trackers work ok. Strange thing is if i turn Protowall off they re-connect and the arrows go green again?

• 2 years later...

I get the red arrow only sometimes. With some files, the downloading works perfectly fine; but with others, it has seeds and peers at 0(0). Yet the torrent online clearly says that it has (in some cases) hundreds of seeds and peers. I dont know what to do anymore, because about 25% of the time my files download, but the majority of the time i get the red arrow and 0 seeds.

Well...none of that seemed to work. I'm not sure if I reduced the active settings yet, but I went through Ultima's checklist and nothing seemed to work. I'm using a connection through a university...which may have something to do with it; but if that were the case, shouldn't all torrents be stopped? Why would only some not download correctly?

Archived