"unable to load" & "not valid bencoding"

nickeaston

Many .torrents refuse to autoload with the above message. Logger shows unloadable .torrents being pinged every few seconds.

Since beta installs, autoload fails on all torrents; must be loaded manually.

W7 x86 and x64 (2 machines)

latest beta3

It looks like the dreaded "invalid torrent file" issue of 2.x has been replaced with "not valid bencoding"...as I remember, 3.0 promised to accept the questionable .torrents...

Bencode editor did not open my 6 test .torrents but offered to "attempt to recover the file" but apparently failed. "An error was encountered while trying to decode the input file"

[16:39:49] [bDecode] Start: "C:\=Trinity Transfer\[[Demonoid.me]]-Demonoid_for_Dummies_455231.288.torrent"

[16:39:49] [ERROR] Failed to decode the data

[16:43:36] [bDecode] Start

[16:43:36] [bDecode] End (0.071 seconds)

[16:43:36] [TreeView Fill] Start

[16:43:37] [TreeView Fill] End (0.083 seconds)

[16:43:37] [Recover] Some data may have been recovered

• 5 months later...

I have been using uTorrent 1.6 build 474 since it was released till recently as I wanted to make use of the webui, which is real handy.

similar problems as to what is described with unable to load or unable to rename, etc, is now an actual problem.

a couple of useless torrents and utorrent 3 can't see anything more, it used to.

there have been times when I clean out the new torrents dir that I find 20 or more torrents that were problematic. but utorrent continued to take on new valid torrents during this. Now it won't, it stops till you remove the offending torrents.

Is there a setting to change this?

Fortunatly, I wrote a prg several years ago that I use and update regularly(have to thanks to no real consistency in RSS Feeds) that is very similar to utorrents RSS Feeds, yes i stole the idea, but only because utorrent used to crash a lot when i used the rss feeds, so i wrote one like it but better, and utorrent no longer crashes.

Anyway, I did see flakey torrents as a prob then and wrote an auto clean feature into it, but i prefer to run it manually, so i can grab all the bad torrents and check to see why they are bad,.

I can easily set it to work for me.

But I had to ask about this because this is a new problem that was not present in v1.6

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tesla:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of useless torrents and utorrent 3 can't see anything more, it used to.

there have been times when I clean out the new torrents dir that I find 20 or more torrents that were problematic. but utorrent continued to take on new valid torrents during this. Now it won't, it stops till you remove the offending torrents.

Is there a setting to change this?

Tesla:cool:

please answer

it's big problem with utorrent 3.0

I noticed.

As I mentioned in the note titled 'Too Much', I switched back to v1.6 build 474 as it does seem to run flawlessly. IT causes me no problems whatsoever, downloads just as fast as v3

It runs un-attended for months at a time without problems.

The program I wrote a few years ago to get torrent links works with utorrent and I am writing my own remote for utorrent in this program. It already checks for fake or crappy torrents and removes them. It can also stop or remove any live download, which it does for the fake(troll) torrents. which was actually the only reason I wanted to upgrade and use the webui.

Was there something you wanted me to answer?

and your point is????

if it works, why mess with it?

that's a lot of years of operating error free.

as for security...I really don't depend on anything in any program I use, for that.

All I wanted was a program for downloading torrents with as few problems as possible. v3 does not offer that.

I was never trying to complain, but the way you keep picking on this version....you guys made it, I just use it. And I have zero problems with it. compare that statement to 2 simple errors from v3....

that happen to be huge problems.

As for v1.61 being so full of security holes that renders it unsupported..thats fine too. the holes don't bother me at all.

If you have gone to the effort of fixing the security holes,, why are there still functional problems, as in main parts of the prg not working right? Are those not a little more important?

Get these 2 problems fixed then perhaps this conversation will end

;) I was never looking for support, just wanted to use the webui but the tradeoff is not worth it.

Archived