Selecting files in a torrent

TheMekon

I've been running 2.2something on my PC for a while now. When I download a torrent, I often "pick the eyes" out of it, selecting only what I want. With 2.2 this is easy, as before the torrent is launched, you get the opportunity to select exactly what you want to download (when you want a single epub file in a 10,000 library this is very useful).

I'm moving to a new PC via a laptop, so installed utorrent on the laptop, and found that I had installed 3.0. OK, I thought - progress is good, features get better. No worries.

All was fine until I started my first completely new download (even my "migrated" torrents were fine, thank you very much) and it started without the selection screen that was always there in the earlier version.

I've been through all the setup pages, and cannot for the life of me identify whether it is still possible to "preselect", let alone carry it out. Has this valuable feature been removed? Am I in future going to be forced to download perhaps 4 gig of data to get a single 1 meg file? Or have i just plain missed something.

And yes, I've RFM'd and cannot find anything that comes close (probably not using the correct wording as I'm new to torrents - well, relatively new, anyway!)

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you.

Did that (couldn't find UI Options, but guessed you meant UI Settings. Checked the "show a window that displays...". Restarted. Downloaded a new torrent.

No change - it still goes straight in to download mode with no option to preselect the files that are required.

Thanks. I've found a download of uTorrent 2.22 on my old PC and have installed that. It appears to be working just fine. What I've seen in 3.0 is apparently a bug, or an incomplete feature, or something that diesn't quite work. For the record, I'm using Windows 7 SP1, 32 bit. I shaln't be going back to 3.0 until and unless this particular undocumented feature is rectified.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure that you have totally understood the situation.

I have been using uTorrent 2.2.1 for a fairly short time, and every torrent that I've downloaded has been from the web, so the torrent itself is downloaded, and automatically opens in uTorrent (I've told it to). With 2.2.1, I get a list of the contents of the torrent, before it starts downloading, where I can select one or more files for download. In terms of the help manual / file, what I am looking for, but what appears to be missing in 3.0 is what is described as Appendix A -> Miscellaneous -> Add New Torrent -> Torrent Contents, where you can see (by the subheadings in the help file) Name, Comment, size, date of each file, and can Select All, or Select None, by button, and where there is a checkbox against each file or directory, where you can select or deselect individual files.

uTorrent 3.0 appears to skip this step entirely is it was set up on my PC. Is it switched off? And can it be switched on again?

Apologies that my descriuption of the problem was inadequate - I hope that this time it is understandable to you, and that you can give me the resolution to my problem.

This does appear to be an issue to me as well..

I want the ability to review the files in a torrent once I add the torrent and before it begins downloading and the ability to change download directory destinations independent of each different torrent. As TheMekon said before, this feature worked great in 2.2, but it does not appear to be implemented completely in 3.0.

Again, the 'options > Preferences > UI Options > Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advance mode' has no effect.

For example, in uTorrent 2.2, this is the dialog box that opens once a torrent is added:

6s5s7q_th.png

No such dialog box opens in 3.0

Yes, it's there in 3.0. That's what my post above shows, which is from 3.0. Can't you see the pictures or what? So stop arguing that the feature is missing. It's not.

It's not a 64 bit issue.

If you've done a clean install of utorrent and turning on "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advance mode" doesn't work it means 3.0 is a bit buggy I guess. But then report it in the "Bug report" section.

Thanks, Rhythmrebel,

Now I know I'm not going mad.

Quasit, I suspect that you could be right, in that there is suddenly a "save as" box when a torrent is loaded, which looks like the first part of your image, and neither Rhythmrebel nor myself twigged that you have to expand the thing to see the files (which is a difference between the two versions in question, and which does not appear to be documented yet in the help manual).

In my case, I saw the "save as" box, said to myself that there is nothing there for me, and just moved on. Perhaps renaming the box to something like "Torrent Preferences" (as it isn't just a "save as" box), and show the bottom half by default (or at least be given the ability to choose to see the bottom part of the box by default for those of us who want it there all the time).

As for bugging it, I'm not sure whether what i am seeing is a bug, or an "undocumented feature", and I'll leave it to more experienced heads to determine that.

Thanks, guys. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

get the same problem, utorrent 3.0 build 25824, win7 x64,the save as dialog(like what Quasit posted) never show up, even if "show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advance mode" is checked. when double clicking a torrent file, the job is added and started immediately

• 4 weeks later...

solved:

like DreadWingKnight said - "toggle torrent view". In uTorrent 3.0 (not sure about other versions), in right upper area, the most right toolbar area (near minimize, maximize, close buttons.) there is 3 green icons: magnifier(search), stripes (the one - "toggle torrent view"), and gear(options). Press that second "stripes" button. Now it works! :D haha

I did noticed that when "Add New Torrent" window doesn't shows up torrent download bar looks different, but... :rolleyes:

I was solving this for several days.

(maybe this is the one "advanced mode" that is mentioned in "show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode" option?)

ok TheMekon and anyone else with the same problem with not being able to pre-select which files they wish to download in Utorrent 3.0. The solution is so simple that it made me want to hit myself. essentially all you have to do is bring your cursor to the bottom of that screen and resize it!! that's it!! just make the window bigger and you'll see the file selection. hope this helps any of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't figure it out. It used to be so easy with the old version and as usual after an upgrade you have to start all over again and learn it all. I just want a simple box to pop up BEFORE it starts to download all this extra crap that I don't want. It was so easy just to tick or untick the files you want. Now I can't figure it out, it just downloads them all with no option to select.

I tried clicking the stripe box and it just shows it downloading with a progress bar. I want to select/deselect.

Wasted an hour trying to do something that was easy in the old version. It makes no sense to mess with something that was so easy to use.

Its not a 7-64 issue as I am using XP. Who knows? I'm getting off this time waster now.:(

• 2 weeks later...

it may be different for others, but the problem ive been having is that the dialog does show up when i add a torrent, however in the box that should be showing the folders and files to individually select, there is nothing, and the window shows zero file size for the torrent until it actually begins downloading.

well i figured out that this only happens when i use a magnet link from a website to open a torrent. when i download the file and open it from my pc, its fine and i can select all of the the files, but for some reason when i use a magnet link, i cant select files. i use chrome as a browser by the way. hope this helps some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happens to me. "Show blah blah blah" is checked, I've toggled torrent view, and I've re-sized the dialogue box to no avail. Essentially, I've tried every single suggestion on this entire forum. I'm turning to another torrent application because I don't have time for this bullshit.

Archived