Relocate in uTorrent 3.0

Codster

Not sure if this is by design or not, but at least is it different than uTorrent 2.0.

Client: uTorrent 3.0 (build 25460) [32-bit]

A common task I do is setting a torrent to download into a folder that already has the files, but, different structure. The torrent has a structure like so:

Folder1\Files*.7z

Folder2\DiffFiles*.7z

Folder3\MoreDiffFiles*.7z

The folder I have has 99% of the files, but, is structured like so:

Files*.7z

DiffFiles*.7z

MoreDiffFiles*.7z

So after setting the download location to my folder, I highlight all the files in uTorrent's "Files" pane, and go "Relocate...". Set the download folder to my base folder. Here is where it is different than uTorrent 2

uTorrent 2: Sets the files correctly, shows files as "Files*.7z" in the "Files Pane".

uTorrent 3: Sets the files with folder infront, like so "TorrentName\Files*.7z"

Note: in "uTorrent 3" if I only relocate 1 file it works correctly like "uTorrent 2", only happens if you select multiple files.

Not sure if I'm clear so here summary:

Default Torrent Download Location: X:\TorrentName\

Set Download Location Location: X:\MyFolder\

Default Torrent Structures:

Folder1\Files*.7z

Folder2\DiffFiles*.7z

Folder3\MoreDiffFiles*.7z

My Structure:

Files*.7z

DiffFiles*.7z

MoreDiffFiles*.7z

uTorrent 2 when relocating multiple files into "X:\MyFolder\" when "Set Download Location" is set to "X:\MyFolder\":

Files*.7z

uTorrent 3 when relocating multiple files into "X:\MyFolder\" when "Set Download Location" is set to "X:\MyFolder\":

TorrentName\Files*.7z

Note: If you are downloading to the default directory then "Relocate..." works correctly with multiple files, problem only occurs when you use the "Set Download Location" with "Relocate..." on multiple files.

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

I think I might have a similar problem as you. I recently got a new pc so I had to redownload utorrent on my new pc and redownload all my old torrents to seed. I had previously been using the older utorrent 2 version and did not update. With my new pc, I had to get utorrent 3.0 as that is the only version available now. The problem aries for me when I go to relocate my files to seed. I would select all the files and choose relocate but instead of the address path being X:\folder\torrentfolder\filename it becomes instead X:\folder\torrentfolder\partial torrent filename\filename so when I recheck, it always fails.

Trying it on individual files it works like it did in utorrent 2 but I can't for the life of me figure out why it does that when selecting multiple files to relocate. I've downloaded a lof of torrents in my time and still have many that I archive to seed and such and having to relocated individual files one by one is very much a painstaking task. Sorry for hijacking your thread if what you have is not the same as me.

@Codster: let me suggest a possible reason for that - what will happen if two torrents will have identical file-name(s) or folder names inside them ? I assume the devs intended to avoid such conflicts by relocating into separate sub-folders with the torrents' names. What do you suggest to do in such event ?

@jak: this surely sounds strange. Still you need to create some sub-folder name for the above mentioned reason.

@ravi: I'd suggest keeping the same logic uTorrent 2 had in place for these events as it is what is most intuitive and useful. If a user selects two files in a torrent, and specifically tells uTorrent to save it in "\home\root\a\", but uTorrent puts it in "\home\root\a\*torrentname*\" then this not only confuses the user but also restricts them on putting the files where they want to put them as there is no way to get it in "a\" in most situations; if UserA wanted to relocate files to "\home\root\a\*torrentname*\" then they would of "mkdir" and relocated to that folder.

Keep in mind that this relocation bug in no way solves the "user decides to save two torrents to the same directory with name conflics" problem. If you mean just "a user decides to relocate part of two different torrents to a same directory that have name conflicts" then I’d suggest using whatever logic is in place that mimics the "user saves two torrents to a same directory that have name conflicts" (aka probably no logic as this is users fault, but, if it is detectable I'd suggest adding a warning in the log tab); keep in mind that it is far less likely for a user to relocate parts of two torrents and get name conflicts as it is a advance/manual process (aka if a user knows they want to relocate these1+these2 both in folder A then they probably know what "these1" and "these2" contain - compared to users saving two torrents to the same dir, which is less likely to know about name conflicts and has no special logic).

Ravi, let me ask you what a user should do in these two examples.

Example 1: Shared Content

TorrentA has "...\Ubuntu\*.iso" and "...\Fedora\*.iso".

TorrentB has "...\UbuntuIsos\*.iso" and "...\CentOSIsos\*.iso"

If a user already has "TorrentA" and wish's to get "TorrentB". They know the "...\UbuntuXXX" folder is identical in both torrents, then, the user should be able to relocate that folder to the files already on their HDD and continue with the rest of TorrentB. This task is not possible anymore and his options are either duplicating, setting "do not download" or seeding just 1 torrent, hurting his HDD space, the torrent swarm, or the entire torrent.

Example 2: Different Structure

SubSetTorrent has "...\x86\*.iso" and "...\x64\*.iso".

UserA has "SuperSet" folder containing "...\*.iso". UserA goes "Hey Bob, I really like your torrent, I'm going to help you seed". UserA downloads torrent and relocates both the "x86" and "x64" folders to his "SuperSet" folder. uTorrent saves the .iso's to "SuperSet\BoBsSubsetCollection\*.iso". UserA cry's himself to sleep because there is no way for him to help BoB seed without mangling up his already perfect folder layout; and any such mangling (aka adding a "BoBsSubsetCollection" folder) would never be considered for long term by UserA.

Bottom line is that torrents need long time seeders to survive. Not everyone will agree on a single layout of their files, and, users need to rearrange/catelog the files however they wish after downloading but still have the option of seeding. This is why the relocation feature exists, and, if it doesn't let a user accomplish this then the feature is useless.

I guess I missed your point. I was talking about the case of moving two complete (multi-files) torrents, not files inside a torrent.

As I recall 2.2.1 and 3.0 behave the same - asking you to point the location for each. In this case I would like to be able to tell it to locate ALL to under the same root, no questions asked...

• 1 month later...

I just created an account to say that this is a problem for me as well. Been using uTorrent since its very first public release, and I'm thinking this might be where we part ways. :(

I never had to relocate files in this manner before, but now I do for my new media center setup, which requires a certain degree of consistency in my directory structure.

Sadly, this issue is a deal-breaker for me. I'm going to start looking into other bittorrent clients. Hopefully there's one out there as lightweight as uTorrent while also friendly to those of us that like to retain a bit of control over our directory structures.

Archived