DHT Not Working? Things to check.

DreadWingKnight

Edit: This stuff is now found HERE.

1> UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function.

2> (If DHT has worked before) Try adding torrents from http://opensource.depthstrike.com/?category=utorrent so that different DHT bootstrap (login) information can be tried.

3> Shut down uT, Remove dht.dat and dht.dat.old from %appdata%\utorrent and retry step 2.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1> UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function.

2> (If DHT has worked before) Try adding torrents from http://opensource.depthstrike.com/?category=utorrent so that different DHT bootstrap (login) information can be tried.

3> Shut down uT, Remove dht.dat and dht.dat.old from %appdata%\utorrent and retry step 2.

can u tell me where to look for the dht.dat file? i search the whole harddrive and cld not find it. it seem like when i install utorrent, no directory was created... strange...

Hi.

I've done all of the above as suggested in the previous posts. My client gives the green tick but says DHT: 0 nodes (login) or Waiting to login (I've tried 20 different highly seeded and highly peered torrents and made sure that they had DHT enabled in the properties and all do the same).

All was working fine under v1.5 but upgrading to v1.6 build 474 seems to have broken DHT completely. Even going back to the previous version now doesnt work anymore either. Even using the above suggestions with 1.5 doesnt work. I've tried a couple of beta versions in between as suggested above, but no joy.

Listening Ports and forwarding on the router and client are all fine. Tried different ones just to be sure with the same results.

Firewall is ZoneAlarm v6.1.744.001 (no change - autoupdate is turned off). Repatched the TCPIP.SYS after the last set of updates - no difference.

I have none of the apps or hardware listed in the FAQ as potentially problematic.

What gives with v1.6 Build 474 ??!?!??!?!?!?

Help !!!!! Any suggestions appreciated !

Reset the Zone Alarm rule and reset the port forward rule in the router and re-added. No dice.

I'm not going to uninstall ZoneAlarm because Firon doesnt like it. Many people use it and its been working perfectly for me until v1.6 broke DHT. In any case, just as an experiment, I tried running a few torrents with Zone Alarm completely unloaded out of memory and DHT still doesnt work, so its got nothing to do with ZA.

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks

I ran utorrent with the firewall completely disabled/unloaded from memory with no problems. When its on, torrents still work, just DHT doesnt. I cant see why something works with v1.5 and then doesnt with v1.6

Since the version of ZA hasn't changed, something in v1.6 has.

Anything else I can try ?

>I ran utorrent with the firewall completely disabled/unloaded from memory with no problems

Ahhh... I see what I wrote incorrectly here. I should never post without my morning cup of coffee. What I MEANT to say was that utorrent ran with the firewall completely disabled/unloaded from memory, but DHT was still not working. Green tick, but no connections as mentioned above.

Sorry for the confusion. Any more suggestions ?

Whats the difference ? If DHT 1.6 doesnt run with it completely disabled why would it run uninstalled ? And why would it run perfectly under 1.5 and not 1.6 ? If the upgrade has caused the issue, then its a utorrent version problem, no ? The version of ZA hasn't changed.

I think we are grasping at straws here. In any case, its the free version of ZA and there are no rules and there never have been and its always worked fine.

Anything constructive I can go with ?

Because disabling does not totally rid your system of the hooks a firewall installs on it. At any rate, freeware ZA is useless. If anything, at least use the more configurable Sunbelt Kerio or the older Kerio PFW 2.1.5, which has been reported to work fine.

Edit: And for some odd reason or another, firewalls aren't detecting a change in the utorrent.exe properly when upgrading to 1.6, so many of them require that you remove old rules. This is *not* a µTorrent bug, but a bug with firewalls not catching the change. My hunch is that ZoneAlarm isn't deleting old rules properly, or isn't doing *something* right with them, so it's not allowing the newer version.

Sorry, given that I dont know your credentials (other than prolific forum poster), I can't go on your hunch and I'm not about to remove a piece of software that has worked well for me despite the repeated assertions by a few that its junk/useless/rubbish and that its not doing *something* right etc etc without logical justification.

Thanks for your time. If I find an answer, I'll come back and post.

Fixed, but its a strange one. There may be a small incompatibility between the settings of v1.5 and v1.6 as wiping out and recreating the settings file in %appdata% did the trick - either that or the upgrade process corrupts the settings file in some way. DHT picked up 175 nodes in a matter of seconds after this.

I suggest that you add this to your list of troubleshooting actions.

I have tried everything suggested in this thread. I have tried utorrent with ZoneAlarm Free, with ZoneAlarm removed, with no firewall at all, and with Kerio 2.1.5. With all this configs, utorrent will not connect to DHT (either waiting to login or 0 nodes). Before the latest update to utorrent, it had been working perfectly with ZoneAlarm Free, and through my testing I have disproved that ZoneAlarm is at fault.

Then, I followed the advice given by Stucatz, and it's only gone and worked. Many thanks to you Stucatz. I'm a little concerned that the developers had so little insight here, but problem solved so nevermind. Thanks to everyone involved.

In our defense, we did recommend clearing your settings in older threads when people first started experiencing this, just never brought it up in this one as the hope was that the above things were the minimal changes needed. That and the fact that *I* mostly forgot about clearing settings (because of the previous reason). Meh.

Honestly, I'm not trying to cause problems for you guys, but the DHT problem has returned. I'm now stuck on waiting to log in. I've not tried anything this time, I'll wait for your advice here.

Developer type folks, please excuse the tone of my previous comment, I was getting a little frustrated. I realise how hard you work and really do appreciate it.

I'll assume you forwarded UDP over that port properly. Um, have you tried uninstalling (not disabling) your firewall to see if it helps?

These discussion should probably go into a new thread rather than filling the sticky up (which is here purely for information purposes).

Ports are fully open for UDP and TCP. As explained in my previous message, I have tried with 2 different firewalls and with all firewalls uninstalled (including disabling Windows firewall). The only thing that made a difference was the deletion of all the settings in %APPDATA%. After deleting all the settings everything was working very well (and very fast) with over 100 nodes on DHT, even after reinstalling ZoneAlarm Free. Nothing had been changed, but on retutrning to my machine the next morning, DHT problems again. This sure is a tricky one. Any more ideas anyone? Is any body else having these troubles?

Archived