Flushing to disk continues indefinitely

Vykan12

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting the same issue with the current build. (3.1, build 26616.) Individual files in the list don't get increasing percent complete numbers, and I'm also seeing utorrent using an ever-increasing amount of memory in the task manager. Seems it's unable to flush to disk at all?

Haven't had this problem before now. Possible it's a bug in the new build?

m

A similar issue; for a big torrent (250 g, 800 files) where ten files (with a total size of around 4 g) are selected for download flushing to disk at one point (when I happen to look at it) has the value 40 000 and is counting down about 100/s, after it has counted down to zero disk write continue as the gray parts of the Pieces column finish getting filled in.

The issue posted here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=111420 of and endless writing to ~uTorrentPartFile_*.dat without any result is possibly related to this.

• 1 month later...

I have the newest build of utorrent (3.1.2) and this problem still persists! Normally it isn't much of a problem but it's very irritating for when you want to pick one file out of a huge torrent with hundreds of files. I know it has nothing to do with disk overloading because I changed some settings to fix that...

This same exact issue already is covered in these threads.... that's the good news...

The bad... there is NO FIX as of today... you may have to roll back to a ver. 2xxxxx build look through these threads... plenty of us have the same issue...

Rush....

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113922

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113600

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=114372

• 2 weeks later...

I often get the same issue, that coupled with utorrent going to not responding, having to kill the process, and when I re-open it, any torrent that was downloading automatically re-checks.... 9/10 it's going to not responding because it's having trouble performing the re-checks.... had no issues with previous versions, but so far all 3.x versions have been buggy for me

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still having the “flushing to disk” problem with ver. 3.2 when I select a multiple file torrent but download only some of the files.

As an experiment, I tried downloading one file from a 12-file torrent, with nothing else downloading or uploading. The 1.1GB file completed downloading within 20 minutes, after which the “Status” bar switched from “99.9%” to “Flushing to disk (72448).” I’m currently at the 3h 25m mark and it still hasn’t completed flushing.

The “Downloaded” column in the top section of the screen shows the full 1.1 GB is completed. In the bottom part of the screen, the “Files” tab is schizophrenic – the “Done” column entry for the file shows “0 B” completed, the “%” column shows “0.0%,” but the “Pieces” bar is solidly colored, reflecting that the download is complete. (I’d post a screenshot, but haven't figured out how to attach it to my post.)

The other tabs in the bottom section are similarly schizo. On the positive side, the “Info” tab shows “Downloaded: 1.10GB” and nothing in “Remaining”, the “Total Size” reflects “1.10 GB (1.10 GB done) (14.2GB total),” but it conversely states “Pieces: 3637 x 4.00 MB (have 0)” and “Completed On: Incomplete.” Yet the “Pieces” tab, which lists the individual blocks, shows each block as having been completed. But when I right click on the individual file and select “Open Containing Folder,” the folder is empty except for a 515kb .dat file.

I’m not sure how long it takes to finish the “flushing to disk” and for the finished file to appear in the folder. Yesterday, I downloaded a 352mb file as a test; it finished downloading in 12 minutes, was still flushing to disk for more than an hour, after which I let it run overnight. By morning, it had finished. In other instances, where I was simultaneously downloading files from multiple multi-file torrents, they never finished, as utorrent would crash overnight. While I’m not sure what was causing the crashes, I suspect that simultaneously flushing multiple files to disk was overwhelming memory – Task Manager was showing more than a gigabyte of memory dedicated to utorrent by that point.

One commenter suggested he was able to overcome the “flushing to disk” problem by stopping the torrent and then doing a “Force Re-check.” Didn’t work for me. Whenever I tried it, utorrent would immediately crash. Nor did exiting and re-entering utorrent work, or exiting, rebooting and re-entering. Thus far, the only thing that has worked (once so far) is to limit multi-file downloading to a single file at a time and let it run overnight. About as inconvenient as you can possibly get. Any ideas?

One solution is to allow the multi-file torrent to start downloading all the files, then go to the "Files" tab and mark the files you want as "high priority" while leaving the ones you don't as "normal". The desired files will download first and once they are done, you can delete the torrent. Then you have to go to your unfinished torrent folder to find the files.

This is admittedly crude, but at least this way you can download files selectively. That having been said, I will probably go back to version 2.

One solution is to allow the multi-file torrent to start downloading all the files, then go to the "Files" tab and mark the files you want as "high priority" while leaving the ones you don't as "normal". The desired files will download first and once they are done, you can delete the torrent. Then you have to go to your unfinished torrent folder to find the files.

This is admittedly crude, but at least this way you can download files selectively. That having been said, I will probably go back to version 2.

Great idea, Jakareh! I tried it out and it is a workable approach, although I agree it is a bit inelegant. I again experimented by trying to download a 1.1GB file from a 12-file torrent. I set the priority of the desired file to “high” and all the other files to “low.” Initially, the desired file quickly downloaded while the others barely moved – at least until the desired file reached about 93%, after which it slowed down greatly, while the others picked up in speed. By the time the 1.1GB desired file reached 100%, I had downloaded a total of 1.6 GB.

At that point, I set all other files to “Don’t Download.” The “Status” bar on top quickly counted up to 100% and then switched to “Seeding” (rather than the problematical “Flushing to Disk”).

This method, while workable, has two key disadvantages: (1) it requires you to download substantially more than the desired file(s), and (2) it requires you to pay close attention so that you can cut it off once the desired files reach 100%. It is not something you can simply set and leave unattended; otherwise, once the “high” priority files have completed, utorrent will proceed full speed ahead downloading all the undesired “low” priority files.

But hey, I’ll take solutions wherever I can find them. Thanks!

DreadWingKnight – Sorry, I didn’t find the posts suggesting a “partfile” solution to the problem. If that is a more elegant solution, can you direct me to the post you think best addresses it? (Although, before posting my inquiry, I spent more than an hour unsuccessfully searching through posts for viable solutions, I must admit I didn’t read all 42 threads and 4000+ posts which a search for “Flushing” and “disk” would produce.)

One "quick fix" that I used and which helped somewhat, was to limit the download speed for problematic torrents ('problematic' = downloaded pieces don't turn green and remain unaccounted for percentage-wise) to 100-200 kB/s, which seemed to give uTorrent enough time to process the downloaded pieces.

I'll try turning off diskpart as instructed above, to see if that eliminates the issue altogether...

• 4 weeks later...

Tried DreadWingKnights solution (preferences - advanced - diskio.use_partfile). Didn't work. I even tried downloading it on a different computer - same problem. :rolleyes: Think I will just download v2 on the other computer for files that are like this. Shame too as this was my largest download. Darn it.

• 4 weeks later...

If turning off partfile doesn't work and you want to use the changing to low priority method mentioned above, right-click files you don't want to download and select "don't download" instead of "low priority". This way you don't have to monitor the torrent.

Also I'm not sure if turning off partfile was of any help to me as I was focused on my current downloads so I turned off "Enable caching of disk writes" in Advanced >> Disk Cache. My speeds rarely if ever exceed 400kb so this worked fine for me.

Just my 2 cents

Archived