Are magnet links replacing torrents?

php111

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post my thread.

I do love torrents. I understand that pretty soon there won't be no more torrents, but are magnet links replacing torrents? Someone told me how it works, but they won't answer the questions I have.

1.) In the upcoming future are magnet links replacing torrents?

2.) How do I download the magnet link? I know how to download a torrent. What exactly does the magnet link look like? Do I go to the same torrent sites as before, but they will be magnet links instead of torrents?

Thank you for any information.

I'm no expert but today I took a chance and DLed two magnet links from TPB and to my surprise, uTorrent 2.0.4 just started downloading without any trouble at all. The only problem was that I had no opportunity to decide where the data was to be saved; uTorrent just started immediately DLing to my Downloads folder. Also, I had no chance to change the name of the folder where the data was to be DLed.

The speeds were quite fast and it seemed like I was connecting to many more peers than with a torrent file but, obviously, I can't be sure of that since I didn't make an actual comparison between the two methods.

I'm no expert but today I took a chance and DLed two magnet links from TPB and to my surprise, uTorrent 2.0.4 just started downloading without any trouble at all. The only problem was that I had no opportunity to decide where the data was to be saved; uTorrent just started immediately DLing to my Downloads folder. Also, I had no chance to change the name of the folder where the data was to be DLed.

The speeds were quite fast and it seemed like I was connecting to many more peers than with a torrent file but, obviously, I can't be sure of that since I didn't make an actual comparison between the two methods.

Thank you so much for that info! So, all I need to do is go to any torrent site, and then click the red magnet link, and then it will do it's work?

The magnet links work fine. But for some reason I cant decide on what files I want to d/l. I have to d/l the whole thing. For example a season of a tv show. I use to be able to pick which episodes I wanted. Now I must d/l the whole thing. Does anyone know if there is a way around this or is this how it will be now? Are bills like SOPA the reason for this?

I hadn't thought about that problem but I think this should work: since you're using a torrent client (uTorrent?), after the download starts, click PAUSE or STOP to give you a chance to identify the files you want vs. the ones you don't want.

When the magnet/torrent is selected, click on the FILES tab, then go through and select the files you DON'T want (hold CTRL down while left-clicking to select multiple files), then right-click while pointing to the shaded, selected files, then click on DON'T DOWNLOAD. Now restart the torrent and you'll only get the files you want.

One other thing to do would be to set up uTorrent so as NOT to pre-allocate space when starting a download. When uTorrent pre-allocates, it reserves enough consecutive space on the hard drive to write all the files without separating pieces all over the drive; that's called fragmentation. Avoiding it is usually a good thing, but not in the case where you only want specific files. To avoid pre-allocation, click on OPTIONS, then PREFERENCES in the menus, click the GENERAL tab and de-select "Pre-allocate all files".

That should help.

Hi everyone,

I do love torrents. I understand that pretty soon there won't be no more torrents, but are magnet links replacing torrents? Someone told me how it works, but they won't answer the questions I have.

2.) How do I download the magnet link? I know how to download a torrent. What exactly does the magnet link look like? Do I go to the same torrent sites as before, but they will be magnet links instead of torrents?

Thank you for any information.

1.) That depends on the site you chose. In the case of TPB, they will be replacing torrents sooner, rather than later.

2.) The magnet link looks like a magnet. You click on it the same way you would the torrent.

Maybe you (and others) should read the sites forums, and educate yourselves.

Thank you!

1.) Are they replacing them with btjunkie.org as well? I use TPB, and BTjunkie the most?

Hi everyone' date='

Thank you for any information.[/quote']

1.) That depends on the site you chose. In the case of TPB, they will be replacing torrents sooner, rather than later.

2.) The magnet link looks like a magnet. You click on it the same way you would the torrent.

Maybe you (and others) should read the sites forums, and educate yourselves.

@DreadWingNight: I have educated myself on acts like S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. now. I can't believe how out of touch I have got with whats going on in the world around me. I have been shocked by what I have discovered. I have removed my tinfoil hat. Guess I needed someone to say something along those lines to in courage me to open my eyes. Glad it came from someone who "never claimed to be nice". I have cut myself off from the world around me. But I am reading and watching what I can as fast as I can now. I have watched basically all the latest anonymous videos I can find on youtube. I am ashamed of myself for what I have missed. But to be honest I live in a pretty remote part of the country (U.S.) and I quit watching the news or even reading the paper the last few years. Guess I got tired of what I saw. Anyway thanks for being an ass dude. The world needs more real people. You certainly help pull the blindfold off me.

Archived