Latest version - Disk overload all the time

lonewolf77

Ever since i upgraded to the latest version, i keep getting Disk Overload and hence everything slows down to a crawl. Both u/ls and d\ls. Prior to the latest version, everything worked perfectly. I think this is where people are having speed issues and d\l issues, due to the Disk overload problem.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a mess! I loved utorrent! Now, my computer is using up memory like it is demented! My disk is constantly overloaded and my speed is down to 8kps. It surges way past my top limit download speed and then spends hours updating the DHT.

I have tried changing 'enable caching of disk writes'

I have tried lowering the number of active downloads----- doesnt matter. If I specify 2 downloads, this monster chooses up to 8! I have tried lowering my download speed. All to no avail.

I am really sad that utorrent has released such a bungle. You guys are not supposed to be the Netflix or BofA of the torrenting world.

Sorry if this is disrespectful, but over the years I have recommended you to so many of my friends and students. Now I feel I have to warn them not to update. BTW I use Chrome and Vista Home if that is helpful.:(:(:(:(

Ever since i upgraded to the latest version, i keep getting Disk Overload and hence everything slows down to a crawl. Both u/ls and d\ls. Prior to the latest version, everything worked perfectly. I think this is where people are having speed issues and d\l issues, due to the Disk overload problem.

Did you turn on diskio.sparse_files, by any chance?

Same issue with the latest version. I didn't even realize why my torrents wouldn't finish until i noticed "Disk Overloaded 100%" message. Now i also get "flushing to disk" message. Everything was fine with previous version and only started yesterday after updating to 3.1.2

I used to get CPU slowdowns and disk cache issues back on 2.2.1.25154 Somebody suggested that i uninstall WindowBlinds but that didn't work. Then utorrent got updated and everything was fixed.

Just tried uninstalling and deleting everything in AppData\Roaming\uTorrent - didn't help.

Have you turned on diskio.sparse_files?

Could you take a screenshot of your disk cache settings?

Even though i never dabbled in "Advanced Options" i checked this thing anyway - its set to "false".

Screenshot of my disc cache settings:

dwq2.jpg

I have tried disabling and enabling disk cache, windows cache, override - nothing helped.

-----------------------------

Reverting to uTorrent 3.0 Build 26473 fixed the issue.

I've also tried several 3.1 and 3.1.2 builds and all of them produced disk overload or flushing issues.

Hm. I wonder why.

Can you try this? Override the cache and set it to 64MB. Uncheck write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes, uncheck "disable windows caching of disk writes".

For some reason everything is ok now. I noticed that new version is 3.1.2 Build 26746, while few hours ago it was 26745. Maybe you guys fixed everything? If the issue returns i'll try the above suggestion and post the results.

Hm. I wonder why.

Can you try this? Override the cache and set it to 64MB. Uncheck write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes, uncheck "disable windows caching of disk writes".

I have exactly same problem everything worked fine before the big update and now i am getting that annoying Disk Overloaded message i did try the suggested action and that did not help. Also i did disable whole disk caching thing and that did not help also.

Actually if i disable whole caching thing and restart Utorrent i can use utorrent for about 2-5 minutes without problems and then i again get that message and speeds drop down to 9kbs

I did test it with 2 different harddrives and well if SSD is not fast enough... (and my normal sata drive works fine and did not have problems in past)

even tough in 2.x.x versions i never had any problem whatsoever.

So i think it has something to do with the caching not being completely disabled even if user "disables" it

I also have the same problem. Actually µtorrent is unusable when it hits the bogus 100% disk load. It frequently freezes upon deleting, stopping or force re-checking a torrent as well.

Is there a way to completely disable caching? As far as I can see it still does even when all check boxes are deselected.

I've updated my µTorrent to version 3.1.2 not long ago (can't remember exactly when).

These last few days, it's been informing me there was a new version, but it was always the same 3.1.2 version (maybe a different build, didn't check that) and I've always accepted the update.

Today, it informed once again there was a new 3.1.2 version (build 26749), I updated it to that version, but right after installing it, problems started.

The first program initialization took 5/10 minutes to just populate the torrent list with 21 the torrents I had. This was the first sign something was wrong.

When it finally started downloading the only download torrent I have, it started displaying the disk overload message. I was trying to perform a force check on one of the torrents, but it almost couldn't do it, so slow it was.

I've read on another forum post that the cause of it was a program taking 100% of the CPU usage, but in my case the program hogging the CPU usage is µTorrent.

I've tried reinstall it, uninstall, remove settings and install it again but it didn't work.

I'm going to try to find a previous build or even a previous version and install that one instead.

Same problem after 3.1.2. Tried all suggested and lot of advices over the interned - doesnt help.

HDD is clearly not loaded with any action.

Seems that something starts preventing uTorrent from flushing the cache after some time of bizzare flag.

Please please fix! Or advice how to switch to an older version - could not find any on the official site.

Using an older version doesn't help either.

I've tried both 3.1, for which I had the installation file on my HDD, and 1.7.7, which I googled for, and both of them gave me the same disk overload on both my external and internal drives.

I'm even going to run a disk diagnostics tool, to make sure there is nothing wrong with my HDDs, which I seriously doubt. It would be an enormous coincidence that they both stopped working at the exact same time.

But now, I have no idea how to fix this, since no matter what the version of uTorrent is, the problem will persist. :\

Did you ever turn on diskio.sparse_files?

No I haven't.

And, as I said, I uninstalled it and deleted the settings, before installing and trying again.

So unless the installation turned it on automatically, that couldn't even be an issue.

Plus, I had read this thread before posting and had checked that setting before, because you keep mentioning it.

Got build 26753. It seems to improve situation - lot of megabytes (200-1200) are downloaded absolutely fine, but then somehow bufer (tried to set to 64 or 128 ) is filled up again and either waits for flushing to disk forever (even with nearly epmty buffer), or disk overload 100% forever.

Reload uTorrent - again next 200Mb - 1200Mb are saved and again stops.

Well... newer versions of 3.1.2 seem to be fine in regards to "disk overload" issue but they got a different bug - utorrent "hogs" RAM and won't unload even when downloads finish or utorrent closed and physically killed in processes list. Reverting to 3.0 yet again fixed the issue.

Tried using "ProcessExplorer" and find whichever process hogs the RAM but couldn't. It seems that utorrent 3.1.2 uploads into virtual memory and just doesn't unload properly.

I am also having trouble with the new version (v. 3.1.2, build 26753, 32-bit; on WinXP Pro w/internal & external HDDs); I increased cache size to way over what I needed to DL the file I wanted (about 350 MB, so I set cache to 1024MB), but now it says "flushing to disk 22174" indefinitely, and doesn't seem to be writing even 1 MB to file, even though it is all there supposedly in the cache. Will rollback to previous version ASAP unless a fix/patch or solution presents itself before I find an older version! :(

Archived