Strange behavior on checking and remembering torrents

kunda

Hi,

I'm using utorrent as a part of the portable apps suite.

I used version 2.2 for a long time until i did an update to version 3.1.2 by an oversight.

This mistake led to a surprise. After running 3.1.2 for the first time, the whole list of finished torrents disappear.

Well, i add them manually and forced utorrent to check them. But after i quit the client and started it the next day, the torrents were gone with the wind again.

In the meantime i found some settings in the expert section which are responsible for this behavior. I'm still unsure which one causes that behavior but i tracked it down to

remove_torrent_files_with_private_data

and/or

resume.dir_only

and/or

resume.enable_resume_dir

Unfortunately i encountered another problem. Sometimes utorrent dont like to perform a succesfull check when i force it to check a torrent i added manually. At first i thought the files for the torrent may be corrupted. I try to force a check with another bittorent client (qBittorrent) and they pass the test with that client. So the torrents and the corresponding files are definately not corrupted.

Im unsure about the reason for the second problem. May be its because there are additional files in the folder where the files are located that should be checked. qBittorrent and version 2.2 didnt care about this and i dont know if this is the matter why 3.1.2 will not perform the check. (But it may be a completely different reason for this problem.)

Is there anybody out there who is able to lend me a helping hand? Wich expert setting are responsible and have to be changed to make 3.1.2 act in this issues like 2.2?

btw: As you already might have guessed englisch isnt my native language - hope you understand what i have written above.

Thanks in advance

Kunda

Some additions:

I had did some more research after work.

resume.enable_resume_dir was that value which was definately guilty for clearing my list of torrents after each restart. Changing the standardsetting from false to true results in the behavior I know from earlier versions of utorrent. First problem solved.

Regarding the second problem: I'm still not able to find a reason why other clients perform a succesfull integrity check on some of my torrents and corresponding folders and files while utorrent 3.1.2 stops/quits/fails checking the same torrents, folders and files.

Any suggestions?

I didnt manage to find a list where all those values of the expert settings are explained? Isnt such a list avaiable?

Thanks in advance

Kunda

Okay

So this forum won't let me tell you where to get older versions......... you'll have to google and find a site which supplies downloads of this software, the one I was thinking of is named after a large cow type creature which lives in rivers in Africa and is very dangerous!!!!!

But there are others too. Good Luck

richley

Thanks for your advice. I'd like to change back but as i already mentioned i use utorrent as a part of the "Portable Apps Suite". I dont know how to install an older version as a part of that suite.

My computer is nearly the state of a clean installation and i dont like to change this. Therefore i prefer to use that version belonging to the Portable Apps Suite. Until now I think its a matter of a faulty set up ... and I believe there will be a way to fix it. When I will realize its a bug and I cant fix it, i will think about returning to an older version regulary installed or changing to another client.

Other suggestions?

Kunda

The reason for not allowing linking old versions is that we DON'T SUPPORT THEM.

Well, i add them manually and forced utorrent to check them. But after i quit the client and started it the next day, the torrents were gone with the wind again.

This is consistent with the resume file not being permitted to save properly.

> The reason for not allowing linking old versions is that we DON'T SUPPORT THEM.

I do not search for an old version ;-)

> This is consistent with the resume file not being permitted to save properly.

I think you didnt understand my problem ...or i didnt understand what you want to say. I think its because of my bad english knowledge but anyway ... thanks for your help i will try to write it in different words.

It wasnt about files i like to resume loading, it was about every torrent. That ones which were finished (they dont need to be saved properly because they already are saved, completed and finished) by utorrent or by an other source and those ones which were still loading. Every torrent was wiped of the list when i restarted utorrent. The list was totaly cleared. Anyway ... this problem was gone by setting resume.enable_resume_dir to true.http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=648184#p648184

Only the problem of checking the file integrity of (some) finished torrents which were checked succesfully by other clients (including older versions of utorrent) is still unsolved.

Kunda

Finally i found the problem why utorrent cant perform an integrity check on files which pass the integrity check of other clients without a problem.

If you add a torrent to those clients setting the downloadpath to foobar and force recheck the corresponding files, those clients check that files located in foobar.

If you add a torrent to utorrent setting the downloadpath to foobar and force recheck the corresponding files, utorrent tries to check that files located in foobar/torrentname.

This isnt a problem if the last folder mentioned in foobar is identically with torrentname.

Seems to be a bug. Or is there an expert setting too to avoid this behavior?

Try to find a workaround (like moving those files to foobar/torrentname and moving them again after being rechecked with utorrent if possible. I will post my findings later.)

I got it working (...almost). Initially i felt like Dr. Frankenstein shouting "It lives, it lives!" ;-)

1) Currently I add a torrent.

2) Set the downloadpath.

3) Create a folder with the name of the torrent in the downloadpath (alternatively I start the download, waiting for some bytes and stop the download again).

4) Copy the content to that folder.

5) Force recheck the torrent.

6) Rename the torrent to the name given by the downloadpath.

7) Delete the folder with the old name of the torrent.

8) Set the downloadpath again.

9) Force recheck again.

Everything is fine.

EDIT: If you do Step 3 by starting the download and waiting for some data before stopping the download again, you dont have to do Step 4 and Step 5.

IMPORTANT: You only have to do this, if the folder containing the data of the torrent have a different name than the torrent and/or force recheck is aborted without checking the data after assigning the corresponding path. Dont do it if this isnt the case, your data may get corrupted. Its advisable to backup your data before playing around ...

Archived