Comcast monitorin downloaded torrents

chewbkka

recently I received a notice from Comcast saying about a downloaded movie from a torrent and that that they are watching my downloads. I have never had this with verizon and need to know what I need to block comcast from monitoring my downloads from torrents. Any suggestions. thanks

This is what I've heard works but can't confirm because I don't have that issue.... yet. LOL

I've heard of people getting seedbox's. From there they download the "video" or what have you via an FTP program. They are following "trackers" not FTP. Some movie companies add their own tracker to movie files at a lot of open trackers or try to get themselves invited to private and monitor their own ISP's. So with downloading to a seedbox, it eliminates being followed.

Make sense? If someone objects, please say so or help with a better idea as this is the only way I personally know. Good Luck!

IP blockers only deter anti-p2p companies from seeing what you're downloading. What Comcast is doing is monitoring any and all torrent traffic coming through your connection. They're listening in on what you're doing.

About all you could do is to try forcing encryption or as people have said above, buy a seedbox and/or VPN.

Major ISPs to turn into copyright police by July.

Undeterred by the failure of SOPA and PIPA, media giants have forged an agreement with Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other major U.S. Internet service providers (ISPs) to police their own networks in an effort to catch digital pirates and stop illegal file-sharing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57397452-261/riaa-chief-isps-to-start-policing-copyright-by-july-1/

Oh boy *facepalm*

Comcast are not monitoring you. They're also not going to monitor you in July either, for the simple reason that they would face criminal charges for doing so.

I'll write a longer piece in a little bit, but in short, thats the facts. And for the second time in as many threads as I'e seen him comment, CCRichter is about as far from reality as he can be.

Media companies are hooking themselves into public trackers as regular peers and monitor the traffic and log IPs, then they put a pressure by email on the ISP's which in their turn could contact their clients. I've seen that by first hand (although not involved in this because I download one movie per few months on the average).

Media companies are hooking themselves into public trackers as regular peers and monitor the traffic and log IPs, then they put a pressure by email on the ISP's which in their turn could contact their clients. I've seen that by first hand (although not involved in this because I download one movie per few months on the average).

Well, it's not 'put pressure', they just send an email, which the ISP forwards on. No pressure at all.

As for how, I made a handy dandy video showing exactly how a few years back.

Well, I mean it. At least for some ISPs here. Threatening emails are being received from US movie companies with IPs, torrents etc, claiming the ISP to suspend the customer's internet connection or stuff like that. There's nothing they can do other than threatening in an email but in some countries such emails are being taken seriously, depending on laws etc.

Well, I mean it. At least for some ISPs here. Threatening emails are being received from US movie companies with IPs, torrents etc, claiming the ISP to suspend the customer's internet connection or stuff like that. There's nothing they can do other than threatening in an email but in some countries such emails are being taken seriously, depending on laws etc.

*sigh* No they're not.

The only one close (off the top of my head) is Germany, where they've had a 'prove your innocence' aspect for about 10 years. Then again, I've not worked on these kinds of cases in Germany yet, only cases in the US and UK.

In all cases, they're treated as just a notification. Sure, France and NZ has a notice+notice system in place, but we'll see how that goes the first time it goes to judicial oversight.. However, to go back on topic, yet again, I'll reiterate that Comcast is not spying/monitoring your activity. They're just forwarding on an email. Monitoring your account would mean they'd be facing a number of criminal charges. Not to mention copyright infringement suits (the exact same ones as you!)...

Isn't ISP bandwith throttling a form of monitoring?

You pay them for connection speeds package so I expect to get those speeds I pay for.

The laws change/modify and are added everyday, especially in regards to copyright infringement..

Hang onto your hats...It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Found a suspicious one with Tcpview...

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Online Brand Protection.

Domain Management

MarkMonitor Brand Protectionâ„¢

MarkMonitor AntiPiracyâ„¢

MarkMonitor AntiFraudâ„¢

Professional and Managed Services

Visit MarkMonitor at www.markmonitor.com

Contact us at 1 (800) 745-9229

In Europe, at +44 (0) 203 206 2220

Registrant:

Domain Name Administrator

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

4000 Warner Blvd.

Burbank CA 91522

US

wbol-admin@warnerbros.com +1.8189777900 Fax: +1.8189773135

Domain Name: rr.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com

Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com

Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:

Time Warner Cable Inc.

60 Columbus Circle

New York NY 10023

US

dnsadmin@rr.com +1.2123648539 Fax: +1.7049736228

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:

Time Warner Cable Inc.

7910 Crescent Executive Drive

Charlotte NC 28217

US

dnsadmin@rr.com +1.8777772263 Fax: +1.7047311180

Created on..............: 1996-09-30.

Expires on..............: 2012-09-29.

Record last updated on..: 2012-03-09.

Domain servers in listed order:

dns2.rr.com

dns5.rr.com

dns3.rr.com

dns6.rr.com

dns1.rr.com

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Online Brand Protection.

Domain Management

MarkMonitor Brand Protectionâ„¢

MarkMonitor AntiPiracyâ„¢

MarkMonitor AntiFraudâ„¢

Professional and Managed Services

Visit MarkMonitor at www.markmonitor.com

Contact us at 1 (800) 745-9229

In Europe, at +44 (0) 203 206 2220

Again I got 2 emails from Comcast about downloads from bittorrent. they were from februray but they claim I was doing it last week which was false.. Now I am getting annoyed. I install Beethink IP blocker to protect myself but do I need anything else. or would a Vpn work / seedbox. I contacted one VPN and they refrain me from using their product to block P2P or torrent users. Can anyone else give me suggestions to block this invasion. thanks

So I installed BeeThink Ip Blocker also tried FreeVPN which made my pc looney as it wants to install its own device with microsoft said i shouldn't and finally I tried HotSpot Shield for encryption which didn't allow me allow me access to Facebook, Tumbler and posting this post. So I am back to square one for all ideas to tried to prevent the someone from seeing my downloads. BTW I only download 1 or 2 movies in a 3 month period. Any help. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
So I am back to square one for all ideas to tried to prevent the someone from seeing my downloads.

In case you hadn't grasped it. They see your download, by joining it as a regular peer int he swarm. To block them, you'd have to block all peers in the swarm, meaning you have effectively stopped the torrent.

In short, as you were told ages ago, there's nothing you can do.

So I am back to square one for all ideas to tried to prevent the someone from seeing my downloads.

In case you hadn't grasped it. They see your download' date=' by joining it as a regular peer int he swarm. To block them, you'd have to block all peers in the swarm, meaning you have effectively stopped the torrent.

In short, as you were told ages ago, there's nothing you can do.[/quote']

Do you really need to be an ass? He is just asking for help. Maybe not everyone here is as ELEET as you are. So let me be the noob also, does not peerblocker help with these issues, and is there not a setting in utorrent that helps also, similar to peerblock?

Yes a good VPN will stop you from getting such letters. You'll have to do the reasearch yourself on which one to choose. TorrentFreak posted an article about VPNs not long ago so I'd start there.

Everyone else in this thread should be embarrased for not telling you this immediately.

Archived