Successful Workaround: Can't Preview Files from Magnet Torrents

ThAnnn

I know how magnets work. This is a workaround not a solution. This isn't new, but for many this is a new problem for them. This method will successfully stop the torrent from downloading any data besides the .torrent file, allowing you to choose your files before any content data begins downloading.

SOLUTION:

Click the magnet link and when the file preview comes up blank make sure that "Start Download" is CHECKED

Hit "OK" to start the download and as soon as you see the torrent pop up on the list of torrents right click it and select "Force Start".

It will download the .torrent file, display the list of files under the "Files" tab, and then AUTOMATICALLY STOP THE TORRENT

At that point you can select the files tab and choose from there, before the torrent is started.

----

For all the idiots out there that skim this and complain that this has been posted over and over, you must take note that this is a bit different in that it stops the torrent after the .torrent file is obtained without you having to do it manually.

^^^ This is an example of how to do it WRONG. As you can see, the files start downloading BEFORE he got the chance to deselect anything. Force Start is the difference for me, and hopefully for you too.

Yes, this isn't a magic solution, thats how utorrent handles magnets. When the torrent is started, if it's a magnet link ,it'll attempt to pull the torrent data from other peers.

In fact, that's how utorrent's handled magnets for YEARS.

Yes, this isn't a magic solution, thats how utorrent handles magnets. When the torrent is started, if it's a magnet link ,it'll attempt to pull the torrent data from other peers.

In fact, that's how utorrent's handled magnets for YEARS.

Its not a solution, its a workaround. We know how it works. Did you even read this post? lol

Its a successful workaround, because it AUTOMATICALLY stops any extra data from being downloaded after the .torrent file has been obtained.

From my limited understanding a force start is nothing more that a start that will override specific errors - such as missing files. It does NOT pause a magnet once the torrent file is downloaded. So I fail to see how this is a "workaround". The steps to change (deselect) files once the torrent is download is the same as if you had a torrent started and during the process of downloading you decided to deselect certain files.

You are not purposing anything new except changing the normal start to a force-start. An extra step that gives you nothing - in my opinion.

From my limited understanding a force start is nothing more that a start that will override specific errors - such as missing files. It does NOT pause a magnet once the torrent file is downloaded. So I fail to see how this is a "workaround". The steps to change (deselect) files once the torrent is download is the same as if you had a torrent started and during the process of downloading you decided to deselect certain files.

You are not purposing anything new except changing the normal start to a force-start. An extra step that gives you nothing - in my opinion.

If you use Force Start before the torrent has obtained the .torrent file, then for some ODD reason it stops immediately after it has obtained it. At least on mine that's how it seems to be working, and I have presented to you what I believe it takes to replicate it.

You can manually stop the torrent after the files appear and you will have the same result, but using this method it will automatically stop after it has obtained the .torrent file. This method obtains the .torrent file and then stops the torrent so that you can select whatever you want BEFORE it automatically starts downloading. If you don't manually stop it or use this method then you will be downloading files that you never got a chance to deselect.

That extra step is my whole point, and it does work for me. When I use normal start it DOESN'T stop automatically after obtaining the .torrent file. It either works, or it doesn't work, I don't need opinions.

• 10 months later...

Thanks ThAnnn, this works for me. (using v3.13 build 27443 32bit)

Since I have utorrent set to pre-allocate disk space, this prevents it from laying out all the unwanted "blank" .!ut files before I can stop it manually.

Not a perfect solution, but will do until they make a proper option.

-------

Whether this is necessary seems to depend on your uTorrent version.

Just broke down and got version 3.3 build 29126 (I've been trying to avoid the latest builds as they seem to be more and more bloated and ad filled.)

In Add New Torrent dialog box - (Options >Preferences >UI Settings - check "Show options to change the name and location of the torrent data") now for magnet links if you wait for a moment as the little arrows spin, it will get the torrent with the file list to select from before starting the file download. So no need to select "force start" after.

I seem to recall that feature was present before but seems to disappear or break with every other iteration.

Archived