A guide for making Magnet Links

loninappleton

I have seen the magnet link box in uTorrent and want to learn to use the magnet link function.

I am actively using uTorrent now for several months and Azureus before that. I have made my own torrents and have utorrent set up with two index sites plus the defaults (bittorent as I recall.).

The main index works fine. The second index has not loaded the torrent at the site. What actually displays is a blank black screen. I have tried to contact the admin on this but no replies.

Now to the point: This index site also shows Edonkey2k magnet link as an option to upload.

How is this done and will it get around the problem of having this one torrent (which is successfully going already) added to the second indexing site?

One note from the problem index admin said he didn't have 'udp' working right. Could this be the problem?

Also from your experience is there one good thread (rather than a haystack hunt) at TPB to get a simple how to guide for the magnet links?

I will also check the you tube listed at google.

I don't know of a site that you can upload magnet links to.

You can create the magnet link by highlighting the torrent you want, right click, and select Copy Magnet URI. Post it on billboards, bathroom walls, blog posts, t-shirts, as graffiti, in emails, instant messages, and however else you can imagine. It is not a file, so how could you upload it?

The how to guide at TPB, is upload the torrent file, they create the magnet link.

Maybe this will help. Magnet URI Scheme

I started to read the wiki. Lots of foreign terms.

I understand that the maglink is not a file, it is the hash code created for a piece of content as a unique identifier.

With the example described in the previous entry here, how does ed2k accept the code (tag) and then how is it entered into the indexer in question?

First off what should I see when creating the magkink in utorrent? Is the maglink shown in the various descriptors for my content under files, info, peers etc? I do not even know what I'm looking for.

:|

Also there was some Softpedia entry showing the five easy steps to making the mag link. But I did not see a way of adequately displaying them. They were on a page with some software advertising (by my interpretation of it.)

Could we be working on a sticky for utorrent for this? :)

I started to read the wiki. Lots of foreign terms.

I understand that the maglink is not a file, it is the hash code created for a piece of content as a unique identifier.

With the example described in the previous entry here, how does ed2k accept the code (tag) and then how is it entered into the indexer in question?

A ed2k guru will have to answer that. I have no clue or interest in knowing what that is. It is a foreign term to me.

First off what should I see when creating the magkink in utorrent? Is the maglink shown in the various descriptors for my content under files, info, peers etc? I do not even know what I'm looking for.

It doesn't show up anywhere in uTorrent.

I don't see anything when selecting a torrent loaded in uTorrent, right clicking on it, and selecting Copy Magnet URI, but this is the result when pasted.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9EBEBE755728C1664D136BFF4F17CB4983616332

Note:That is a dead link, created for display purposes only.

Thanks for the reply.

I should note that Edonkey2000 whatever it is gave an error at my indexer site anyway. This is to say it doesn't work at all.

After the maglink is made where does

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9EBEBE755728C1664D136BFF4F17CB4983616332 (your example) get used?

And where does the maglink above get stored after creation in utorrent?

TPB etc all seem to be rather obscure in the use of this technique. And while that may be intentional, it does not help new users used to bittorrent content-making routines.

TPB is one of the oldest and most mature content resources. I want to continue to have access to its archive.

For now, I will do a simple search on my XP system using "magnet" as a search term to see if I have one (I did make one for an avi, the one I'm trying to crosspost.)

Thanks for the reply.

I should note that Edonkey2000 whatever it is gave an error at my indexer site anyway. This is to say it doesn't work at all.

After the maglink is made where does

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9EBEBE755728C1664D136BFF4F17CB4983616332 (your example) get used?

It get's used when somebody selects it on a torrent site using magnet links, and it appears in their torrent client.

And where does the maglink above get stored after creation in utorrent?

Mine appears to be stored in the clipboard. If I attempt to paste it into a folder, I am asked to provide a filename for the clipboard content. Giving the clipboard content a filename creates a text file with the magnet link pasted in it.

TPB etc all seem to be rather obscure in the use of this technique. And while that may be intentional, it does not help new users used to bittorrent content-making routines.

TPB is one of the oldest and most mature content resources. I want to continue to have access to its archive.

I don't understand what you mean access. You still create a torrent file like you have for years, upload it to TPB just as you have for years. Nothing has changed in that regard. You don't need to create magnet links to upload.

For now, I will do a simple search on my XP system using "magnet" as a search term to see if I have one (I did make one for an avi, the one I'm trying to crosspost.)

Look in your clipboard contents.

Looking in my clipboard was a confusing phrase since that is like a paste from cut operation in editting.

To discover the magnet link, I did the copy URI procedure in utorrent then opened notebook and

right clicked to reveal "paste."

here's what I got

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9CBEA33498C1FB7DA2837*********DBDE4509D&dn=********************************29&tr=http%3a//inferno.demonoid.me%3a3419/announce&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce&tr=http%3a//onebigtorrent.org/announce.php

some of the hash deleted.

As you can see what utorrent picked up from the torrent file was just about all the stuff in it from making the torrent. This includes a number of trackers, the torrent name and the hash tag.

If I wanted to use the notebook text file to point to my torrent where is that accomplished?

This is where the difficulty in dealing with TPB starts. I do not use TPB as my index. The goal in this is to distribute the content in a more secure way-- the way TPB moved to in a time of much harrassment-- and to get more indexes.

If I wanted to use the notebook text file to point to my torrent where is that accomplished?

This is where the difficulty in dealing with TPB starts. I do not use TPB as my index. The goal in this is to distribute the content in a more secure way-- the way TPB moved to in a time of much harrassment-- and to get more indexes.

It is accomplished by posting the magnet link in a forum, email, wiki, blog, newsgroup, print it on t-shirt, write it on a bathroom wall, create posters and staple them to lamp posts, just about anywhere you can print or post anything. You can not upload them to a hosting site as far as I know.

This should be a working example. Just copy it, open "Add torrent from URL" in your client, paste it, click OK, start the download, and you should get the .torrent file after a short wait.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9EBEBE755728C1664D136BFF4F17CB4983616332

It should be the openSUSE 12.1 DVD

I had success in doing the procedure above to add the maglink of SUSE to my utorrent active list.

What I would like to do is find out if a maglink generated from the file above (the edited one) can be thus added to Torrent Editor? Torrent Editor is the program I'm familiar with not knowing any others which can add info to an existing torrent.

Archived