uTorrent installer

vlas_st

Hellp uTorrent team, you are doing good job. uTorrent is realy easy to use torrent client. One thing I'm disappointed with is your installer (for Windows). That is real "virus". Even though I unchecked all the garbage it suggests to install (such as Yandex bars, shortcuts to Yandex mail and other trash) it did install Yandex shortcuts on my Panel to mail and search (I didn't ask for it) and also installed some Hamster Archiver. Could you please NOT install all that additional garbage when user said NOT to do it? Nobody needs it. Don't you think it's a bit weird when user needs to spend another 10 minutes to clean up the system from all the stuff your installer has installed with uTorrent itself?

Thank you.

Hellp uTorrent team, you are doing good job. uTorrent is realy easy to use torrent client. One thing I'm disappointed with is your installer (for Windows). That is real "virus". Even though I unchecked all the garbage it suggests to install (such as Yandex bars, shortcuts to Yandex mail and other trash) it did install Yandex shortcuts on my Panel to mail and search (I didn't ask for it) and also installed some Hamster Archiver. Could you please NOT install all that additional garbage when user said NOT to do it? Nobody needs it. Don't you think it's a bit weird when user needs to spend another 10 minutes to clean up the system from all the stuff your installer has installed with uTorrent itself?

Thank you.

I unchecked *all* Yandex items when installing uTorrent and now I see it's installed everywhere: Firefox, IE, Chrome, on the Panel. Thats insane. So you don't care what users choose? "We install whatever we need and don't care about users" ?

are there any? yes. are they going to bother explaining to you that you didn't uncheck the right checkboxes? probably not.

The thing is I *did* uncheck. Otherwise I wouldn't complain here.

You only think you did... we all make mistakes... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well there's obviously one team member on this forum right Ralf? The fact is that the damned bar is installed... under false pretenses by requiring an optOUT rather than an optIN and the disguising of that last box to make it look to an average user like it' s the license agreement for uTorrent itself... by Conduit Engine, the same sleazeball outfit that makes bars for dozens of other outfits and Conduit Engine damned sure IS a hijacker and it is total hell to get off your system once it's on it.

I spent the better half of yesterday evening rooting the damned thing out and getting it off my system and I'm not exactly a novice when it comes to the innards of my machines after 30+ years of experience.

In addition to installing the toolbar, which in itself can be gotten rid of as people like you say, it also hijacks your browser home page and won't allow you to change it back and also changes your default search engine to whatever it's touting, in my case, Bing. It peddles your information to no telling how many marketers and it redirects a lot of your information directly to third party vendors. It's malware/spyware of the sleaziest and most insidious kind and slipping it onto someone's computer by hook or crook ought to be a damned crime if it isn't already.

So wipe that smug little smirk off your face and provide some honest information for a change or leave the guy alone and let him try to get some real help for a problem that thousands of other people have had with the damned Conduit Engine toolbar scam. Company trolls are the worst trolls but then trolls are trolls whether they work for the outfit or not.

Heh. I wonder if this post will ever see the light of day.

Archived