Virus in the utorrent download

bbert101

• 2 months later...

This has actually happened to me as well. I've got two computers, both not running torrents and ended up with constant blue screen of death. I took one of the laptops in to Best Buy and they told me I had 29 viruses, even with my virus protector. After downloading uTorrent, I apparently had the uTorrent toolbar, which, I believed that what was driving the viruses. I've never had a single problem with torrents or uTorrent ever up until now.

I downloaded uTorrent off of this site here. I even tried Bittorrent but that ended up with viruses as well. Somehow, this StartNow toolbar, known for vicious viruses, had been added to my computer without my knowledge and some other strange toolbar that gave me a weird homepage with virus ads below a Bing search bar in the center.

I honestly don't know what's going on but I'm almost afraid to torrent anything anymore. I'm very safe on what I download, I've been doing this for years. Now all of the sudden, I have to take my laptop in every other week.

Strictly speaking "Snap.do" is not a computer virus, as it does not attempt to replicate or spread to other computers. It is spyware and a browser hijacker and can come in from many sources but uTorrent is NOT one of those.

The most likely source will be a "Keep your drivers updated" Application a "Registry Cleaner" app or something of that nature.

• 4 weeks later...
I took one of the laptops in to Best Buy and they told me I had 29 viruses

They're trying to make money for themselves.

I'm almost 100% certain that that's not the case here. I paid a year for any problems I have with my computer, I can take it in and they'll repair it. Meaning that each time they repair it, they get no money from the work they do, no matter how long the problem takes to repair. I just recently got a second hard drive installed after the first hard drive crashed due to these apparent "viruses" that started happening. Then, all of the sudden a few days later after installing uTorrent on my laptop, I needed to once again take my laptop back in for them to check. Apparently, they discovered the exact same viruses causing the problem from before. Each time they uninstall uTorrent and clean my computer, my system works fine. Only when I run/install uTorrent do I start getting bluescreen problems.

Umm, Bluescreening problems with uTorrent installed mean OTHER problems with your system.

Like having McAfee installed, or pc tools threatfire, or nvidia forceware network access manager.

OR having bad network adapter drivers.

Could you tell me how I would be able to check to see if any of those you listed are what's making the problem occur? Sorry, I'm good with computers, just not very good with the things like this.

• 4 months later...

I just cannot be more angry with this soft...I decided to reinstall my OS and I had to install all soft that was on my computer before. After I installed uTorrent, momentarily the Conduit virus ruined all hours of my hard work. This ** changed the preferences in my browsers and gave me a lot of Trojans, worms and all other crap. Tried to run antivirus/malware ... and ended up with reinstalling the OS again!!!! Ok, so I assumed that there was some weird mistake with this file and since I used to use it before, after reinstalling the OS again I've installed uTorrent again. Guess what, I'm running the DRweb Cureit for last 3 hours now. I never was able to download anything with uTorrent and everything was working perfectly before, but as soon as I installed this creepy program, I have to suffer now again....I simply CANNOT UNDERSTAND ON WHY R U developed the soft that have VIRUSES innem??????

This program (I won't mention its name) is an anoying spyware and or some kind of page hijacker program. When you opens the browser, it appears as the standard page!

Usually it comes together with the DOWNLOADER (or download manager) that many download sites are using!

Many times you are forced to install it to maintain the free download of the download site source, even because it asks for it and many times you install it without know and or without release.

As a mouse, many people (count me in), fell in the mousetrap of DOWNLOADERS (or download manager) of many download sites! Take care!

These kind of downloaders, that seed programs like it (I won't mention its name) and other anoying hijacker softwares should be prohibitetd by law!

To get free of it I tryed to go to CONTROL PANEL and unisntall it, so it started running another program like a spyware/antivirus scanning, so I was unable to uninstall it.

I have uninstalled it after some hours of headache and exaustive try and error method. I have success but I dont remember more what I did, because I have tryied a lot of things:-)

And by the way, I also have experienced some Windows Blue Screen of Death.

I dont exclude the possibility of any virus has corrupted some driver...

• 6 months later...
I just cannot be more angry with this soft...I decided to reinstall my OS and I had to install all soft that was on my computer before. After I installed uTorrent, momentarily the Conduit virus ruined all hours of my hard work. This ** changed the preferences in my browsers and gave me a lot of Trojans, worms and all other crap. Tried to run antivirus/malware ... and ended up with reinstalling the OS again!!!! Ok, so I assumed that there was some weird mistake with this file and since I used to use it before, after reinstalling the OS again I've installed uTorrent again. Guess what, I'm running the DRweb Cureit for last 3 hours now. I never was able to download anything with uTorrent and everything was working perfectly before, but as soon as I installed this creepy program, I have to suffer now again....I simply CANNOT UNDERSTAND ON WHY R U developed the soft that have VIRUSES innem??????

Though I am not as angry as this user, I too have had Conduit installed on my computer (actually on two of them) after updating my utorrent client. I thought it was a fluke, and possibly came from somewhere else, but as an experiment I installed utorrent on an older computer. (Which is never used for anything anymore as it's from 2002, but I keep it clean and scan it at least once a week.)

And there it was, Conduit. So I deleted it, cleaned it, using the best cleaners I can find. Reinstalled utorrent and Conduit makes it ogre-like appearance again.

I found someone on a diff. forum having problems with their browser. (For one thing, any time he tried to click on Google.com he was told it was a malware/trojan/virus site.) I suggested he do a search (on his PC) for Conduit, then remove it with the best cleaner he could find/buy/whatever. Which he did, and he got rid of Conduit. He actually hunted me down to thank me, and who does that on line anymore? (Maybe in '94 or something, yes, but today?) He asked me if I used utorrent by any chance.

Ummm,yes. So is it possible that Conduit is being installed via utorrent? I am not a novice PC user. I took my first PC course in 1980 and had to learn (OMG) fortran and later the the mucho-easier Basic. So I'm not a dope, and yet...

I suppose it is possible that Conduit is hanging on to something I am installing via utorrent, but I only dl from one very private, sort of exclusive site, so ...

Call me befuddled.

Ummm,yes. So is it possible that Conduit is being installed via utorrent? I am not a novice PC user. I took my first PC course in 1980 and had to learn (OMG) fortran and later the the mucho-easier Basic. So I'm not a dope, and yet...

Then READ the installation dialogues and uncheck the "Install Toolbar" checkbox.

• 1 month later...

I suppose it is possible that Conduit is hanging on to something I am installing via utorrent, but I only dl from one very private, sort of exclusive site, so ...

Call me befuddled.

It's not only possible, I pretty much guarantee you that this is exactly where you get it. Like the other apologist in this forum, you do have the option to decline installing the suite of spyware (although it's not obvious, and you have to click on "custom install" to even have the option, if I remember right, which is misleading and is NOT a straight up practice.)

I don't know about updating. I'm afraid that may be the case. I had a copy of utorrent on my girlfriends computer and I think she must have updated it when I wasn't there, so I didn't see any of the prompts, but sure enough, she asked me why bing was suddenly the default search engine on ALL OVER HER BROWSERS (chrome, IE, firefox, it hits them all..).. I ran malwarebytes and it came back with over 300 hits for PUP's (potentially unwanted programs, which are almost DEFINITELY unwanted, and was for sure in this case..)

The software is not innocuous, and anyone suggesting that it's just some routine software that utorrent is installing to make a few innocent dollars isn't being honest. This software is DESIGNED to be difficult to get rid of. It's installed to be installed surreptitiously, and utorrent is pushing the very limits of what is considered to be outright involuntary installation of malware.

First of, make sure you uninstall the search protect from add/remove programs. Then kill whatever processes in memory you can, and then run malwarebytes. (it's free for basic features) It should clear out most of the other stuff.

Then, unfortunately, you have to go through each one of your browsers and not only reset your home page, but delete plug-ins, reset the omni-search bar information, just make sure you remove every last bit of it.

Oh, I tried to remove just using adwarebytes btw, and it came back and popped a message telling me it had repaired itself, ha ha.

Anyways, good luck to everyone. I'm really disappointed in utorrent. Yes, I know, whoever what's your name is, "READ THE PROMPTS." But it's kind of sad that you have to keep an eagle eye on the misleading terms of a utorrent installation to keep them from installing a bunch of spyware crap on your machine.

my 2 cents.

Archived