Download speed crashes

drakehotel

I've had this problem for about a week now. Usually when I download the speed increases rapidly to some >1Mb/s and any file is usually down in 5-15 minutes. Lately here's what's been happening instead:

Speed increases more or less slowly to around 500kB/s (rarely that fast). After that the speed is maintained at maybe 50-200kB/s, after which it crashes to <10kB/s. If I shut down µTorrent and then turn it on again, this happens again. Of course, I can't just repeat this process until the file finishes, since progress isn't "saved" unless pieces acquired, which it rarely does. E.g if my file has reached 10% at the start, then reaches 15% and crashes, at which I restart, and I'm back to 10%.

This has nothing to do with seeders. There are many seeders for the various files I've tested, and the amount of seeders does not change when the speed crashes. If it's of any relevance I use Vista, and I haven't installed any new programs for quite some time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

It appears lately that quite a few people using the 3.2 stable are having speed issues, I'm not saying it's the program, but is kind of strange, I would therefore suggest, before doing anything else, that you update to the latest 3.2.1 beta. The 3.2 stable does have issues, although I'm not aware that speed issues are necessarily one of them, but I do believe that the latest 3.2.1 beta is a better program and it has addressed certain issues that have arisen in the 3.2 stable. If you do update to the beta and find everything is fine, then do post back and inform everyone.

What client version?

Have you checked the log for data errors in the pieces or connection errors/drop outs?

I have version 3.1.3, if I check for updates the program tells me there aren't any.

Where is the log? I probably wouldn't understand any of the error messages anyway.

Archived