Error:Write to disk access

yojo98

This has been mentioned so many times on the forum, can someone please do a sticky titled "Write to disc issues" explaining what to do and how to do it and put it in the troubleshooting index.

In the meantime, read this.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=126066

I read it and, guess what? I have full permissions one all users!

So what else could be wrong?

System? Is that a directory or the permissions?

Assuming it is permissions, The "System" user is a Windows sub-system user context and permissions given to "System" do not extend to applications running in a user context.

Nobody needs to know your Windows username or the "Administrator" username, we don't really care, it is the security group of "Everyone" that you need to add to the "Full Control" ACL for the downloads parent directory/folder so that all applications running on your machine can have access to the location. Remove all other permissions as Windows will use the MOST RESTRICTIVE permission set when allowing access

DO NOT put your download directory in a "system folder" such as Program Files, Users (other than "My documents") or "Windows" as the parent permission will be inherited and may deny the torrent client access.

ciaobaby, this is an issue that comes up time and time again and I believe if there was a fully explained sticky of the ways to resolve this issue, with step by step guides and maybe even screen shots, then yes, people might well read them. It took me a little while to find the link that I posted on here which is one of the better links. There are a fair few people out there that aren't that computer literate and wouldn't have a clue what is meant or how to "Fix the security properties on your downloads folder." Some people need walking through the steps, as is seen here where even the link I posted doesn't appear to be understood. At least then, even if someone doesn't read it before make a post, the link can be copied and pasted and hopefully that should be enough. If for some reason something crops up that is not covered in the link then hopefully the link can be updated with the relevant information. It's worth a try anyway, as either a link or a separate item in the troubleshooting help guide.

You know, somewhere in the dark recesses of my archives I probably have one of those, I set one up as a "website walkthrough" for the "IT minions" :) at the remote offices when I was a "wage slave IT manager" as the company migrated to Win2k from Win 9x. :cool:

I'll see if I can root it out.

Sounds good, maybe it could then get put on as either a sticky or in the troubleshooting help section under a heading such as "Fix for Error:Write to disk access issues" or something similar. I'm a great believer in just being able to copy and paste a link for a solution, unfortunately for this to have 100% success then the solution needs to be in such a way that it treats everyone as a computer novice. If even one person can't figure it out, without further information, then the further information given to that person before they finally sort it out needs to be added to the link. I have seen posts time and time again on various issues where a link has been given, yet the person has still required more information (such as in this case), once given more information then they have managed to resolve the issue. So if that further information was put in the first link then all information would be together. I have seen post from your good self that has a link, then in that link there is another link from you on the same subject and so on and so on. I suspect there are at least 30 various posts for this subject, each has a bit of an answer, some have links to other answers, but not one posted thread (that I can find) says solved. It's no wonder people just post the question again as they have to troll through heaps of posts to actually find one that makes sense to them. Anyway, thanks for all you, DreadWingKnight, Rafi and others do for everyone on the forums, it's much appreciated.

Also hunted through a few utube clips to see if I could find a decent one that shows very simply how to change folder permissions on windows 7. I don't use it myself, but the vast majority of posts this got said it was very good. Let me know what you think and maybe at some point you preferably (as you have far more knowledge than myself) or myself can put everything in one post and see if it can be a sticky in the troubleshooting section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q60zIGaCXA8

Also hunted through a few utube clips to see if I could find a decent one that shows very simply how to change folder permissions on windows 7. I don't use it myself, but the vast majority of posts this got said it was very good. Let me know what you think and maybe at some point you preferably (as you have far more knowledge than myself) or myself can put everything in one post and see if it can be a sticky in the troubleshooting section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q60zIGaCXA8

I have full permissions on my user and the admin and the system, but the check marks are light grey, not black like I saw in the tutorial.

but the check marks are light grey
Then they are not fully set.

Is the "everyone" group allowed full control?

I have full permissions on my user and the admin and the system

uTorrent does not run in the Admin or System context so that will not make any difference.

No everyone group or user shows up.

• 1 month later...

Thought it worthwhile adding this which was posted by "cavalry 69" and seems to have sorted out quite a few users problems.

1. right click on the torrent displaying the message error: write disk...

2. go to "advanced"

3. go to "set download location"

4a. simply click the "downloads" option under favorites (if you have windows 7 like me)

4b. if you don't have windows 7, simply choose the folder where your downloads usually go (don't know if it will work but i'm really sure it will work)

5. then right click the torrent again

6. choose the "start" option and it should start downloading after a few seconds

Archived