feature that worked is now disabled ?

AmpLiF1eR

Hey all,

I used VLC player in the past to preview video files in utorrent by setting the 'priority' to 'high' in the 'files' tab and doubleclicking it.

I know I had to set 'bt.prio_first_last_piece' to true.

Since build 474, it doesn't work anymore, it doesn't even 'try' to open it... when doubleclicking it, a message appear immediately, telling me that the file cannot be opened because the download hasn't finished yet.

I know that there wouldn't come a preview feature in utorrent finally, but why is this way of previewing disabled suddenly ?

Greetings,

AmpLiF1eR

strange, so you are saying that I'm lying ?

I previewed video files a lot in utorrent before. I even advised a friend of mine to do the same in combination with vlc player and it worked for him also (don't know if it stopped working for him also).

My conclusion: Then it must have changed because one of those reasons:

1. I was dreaming before (impossible!!!).

2. VLC player changed instead of utorrent so it reacts now like WMP and others. (possible)

3. You haven't tried the combination VLC/utorrent yourself so you are not aware about the change that isn't mentioned in the 'changes' that came with the latest version of utorrent.

Greetings,

AmpLiF1eR

Firon never said you were lying. He said µTorrent never explicitly allowed previewing. If it worked, then you got lucky. Why not take a look around the forums? You'll quickly realize how many people asked for a preview feature. So no, there is no such feature in µTorrent.

I am used to preview videos in Media Player Classic, using Emule eD2K client.

Being relatively new to uTorrent, I have realized it is not possible, getting file access errors.(player vs uTorrent)

Maybe ( not tried yet ) there is need to stop torrent before preview.....

Ok, then it worked abviously in the previous version 'by accident' on my described method above and did I misunderstood his reaction.

Anyway... I was aware of the fact that it would not be implemented officially but was quite happy that I did get it to work properly in the past..

I will miss it for sure..

for the rest.. I'm happy with the product.

Greetings,

AmpLiF1eR

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

Did you read what was written? There's nothing to 'miss'. The fact that it worked for you was a statistical anomaly in the way the pieces for that particular torrent happened to be downloaded. It might work again for a torrent one day, who knows. It's all down to luck. :)

It's not a matter of chance. AVI files only require the first and last piece to be playable - you'll just be missing large chunks which a given video play with either stop at the beginning of or roll through until it finds another downloaded segment as VLC seems to do.

correct, i've had files able to preview after 1min download, others only after 50% or even more was downloaded, most notably on those i didn't get the second piece until ~80% so is not just the first piece but enought parts needed

most likely u wont be able to preview having a first piece that's only 32kB, but having a 1MB piece is different

Archived