Invisible Torrents after 3.2.1 Stable -> 3.2.3 Stable update

crumpets

Error updating Build 28086 to Build 28705

I attempted to download a torrent off the internet, and whilst the Select Directory box was open, the Update Is Available dialogue box showed up, and when I clicked "Yes" to update uTorrent, it closed all windows, and updated fine. Except for the fact the torrent I tried to download is stuck in the background processes behind uTorrent, without a save directory, and it won't let me re-add the torrent. I fixed it by uninstalling, deleting all settings, and starting afresh with uTorrent, but I only have uTorrent open when I need it, as some internet connections I have (Work, uni etc.) are metered. Is there any way to prevent this from happening, such as making the program wait for any open dialogue boxes to be closed before checking for updates?

It'd be a pain to have this issue every time I try to download a torrent, using an outdated uTorrent...

Cheers,

Crumpets.

Sorry guys, didn't see the other thread.

Until there's a workaround from the devs, the only thing you can do is first, open uTorrent in the background, click update, then try to add the torrent. Perhaps in the next beta release, add a warning to the update dialogue to finish any open dialogue boxes BEFORE clicking "Update". Once again, sorry for reporting another instance of a known problem in a new thread.

The Add torrent dialogue is not "modal" which it should not be and cannot be. Whereas the update dialog is "modal". Modal means that no other actions to the "main" GUI window are allowed until the modal window is closed.

The correct course of action is to close the "update" dialogue, without updating, then complete the torrent loading then run the update check manually.

If you do not want the update check to run unless you initiate it, uncheck "[ ] Check for updates automatically" in Preferences -> General.

Cheers, Ciaobaby.

Even so, I didn't see any warnings about this in the update dialogue, which I feel should be included.

It all makes sense, in a way, that it does do this, but it's a pain in the neck if you're unaware of this procedure (As I'm sure many other noobish/occasional users would also not know of this) if you have to completely uninstall and reinstall uTorrent if you don't follow it to the letter.

Perhaps even if, once you click "Yes" on the Update dialogue, it pops up with a second, non-modal dialogue asking to close all other uTorrent dialogues before proceeding with the update process.

Even so, I didn't see any warnings about this in the update dialogue, which I feel should be included.
Well sometimes software developers have to assume a certain amount of competence and comprehension of Windows applications in general, and I wouldn't like to think that going to the patronising level of "Elf and safety" advice that means we have to be warned that the cup of tea just purchased MAY contain a hot liquid is going to be the way forward.
Perhaps even if, once you click "Yes" on the Update dialogue, it pops up with a second, non-modal dialogue asking to close all other uTorrent dialogues before proceeding with the update process.

So we could just click [OK] and mutter "For ****s sake just get on with it"! at the same time. :D

Archived