.torrent files no longer open

fudsey

I have a strange issue and I did search for it and found nothing that pertains to it so I figured I'd ask.

When I double click a .torrent file utorrent will open but nothing else happens. I don't get the dialog box to choose where to download to. I checked file associations and deleted it and then replaces it and still nothing. If i completely close utorrent and then double click a.torrent file, it will open utorrent but still no download dialog box and the torrent fails to start.

I have to manually, "file/add torrent (choose save dir)...", for every torrent file which becomes a PITA every time to have to search for the .torrent file and then the download dir.

Is the a fix for this ?

Quick edit:

If I uncheck "show options to change name and location" the torrent will start but I would like to be able to choose location. Using ver. 3.2.3 (build 28705) 32bit

I posted this in my thread but I'm just gonna copy and paste here.

Well my problem is solved...sorta. I started fiddling around with the %AppData%\uTorrent folder and I'm fairly convinced a complete solution is there however I made some kind of mistake. I was attempting to reset the default preferences without losing my list of torrents. At one point I had it but I confused myself by moving things around and alas I've lost my list of 963 torrents. I'll have to manually reload them, yay. Anyways, the problem and answer was somewhere in there because its working again. Now I just have to reload my torrents, add my RSS feeds, and tidy things up to get back to where I was.

Long story short: Not the best answer but a functional solution is to delete your %AppData%\uTorrent folder essentially starting over. If you're careful you should be able to move things around; such as the .torrents in %AppData%\uTorrent folder and add them back later. Not sure where I went wrong but I'm manually adding torrents back now.

Well thanks for that praetan. I figured out which files it was, at least for me.

1st - Shutdown uTorrent

2nd - I backed up and renamed my C:\Users\**USERNAME***\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent folder.

3rd - Restarted Utorrent and tested double clicking a .torrent file to find the dialog box popped right up. Looking in the new appdata/uTorrent folder revealed 3 folders and 2 files (settings.dat and settings.dat.old).

4th - Shutdown uTorrent and replaced the 2 files (settings.dat & setting.dat.old) in my original appdata folder.

5th - Renamed the new folder and the made the old folder corrently named and it worked perfect.

The only thing that is messed up is the columns which is an easy fix

-Fudsey

Well thanks for that praetan. I figured out which files it was, at least for me.

1st - Shutdown uTorrent

2nd - I backed up and renamed my C:\Users\**USERNAME***\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent folder.

3rd - Restarted Utorrent and tested double clicking a .torrent file to find the dialog box popped right up. Looking in the new appdata/uTorrent folder revealed 3 folders and 2 files (settings.dat and settings.dat.old).

4th - Shutdown uTorrent and replaced the 2 files (settings.dat & setting.dat.old) in my original appdata folder.

5th - Renamed the new folder and the made the old folder corrently named and it worked perfect.

The only thing that is messed up is the columns which is an easy fix

-Fudsey

Awesome! Glad things worked out better for you although I'm finding it's not that hard to add my torrents back since I have them all in that folder. I'm also getting to move and rename a few things which is nice so in a way win win but I'm adding this one to the personal knowledge base. :D

Archived