uTorrent eats all available RAM, then computer slows down to a crawl

Naki

OS: Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate, SP1 + all updates installed.

CPU: Intel Core i7

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

uTorrent version: 3.3.1 Beta (build 29313) [32-bit]

PROBLEM: Since several versions, uTorrent - I tried the latest Stable and latest Beta builds - gradually eats all of my RAM, then the computer starts swapping RAM and slows down to a crawl.

How do I limit the Windows 7 cache for uTorrent? Is there a way to limit it to a reasonable value, such as 2 GB? If not, can I limit it completely (such as up to 200-300 MBs of RAM)?

I have several TBs of torrents, the number of torrents is 252.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

NOTE: The uTorrent process itself in Task Manager is OK - it takes under 200 MB of RAM. It seems the problem is with Windows 7 disk caching of that uTorrent is reading/writing.

It's the windows disk cache eating your ram, not uTorrent.

Yeah, I am aware of that, but several versions back uTorrent did not cause this. Or if it did, at least it wasn't that drastic the way it is now.

Also, a long time ago, maybe 1-2 years back I had the same problem, but was able to fix it by changing some uTorrent disk cache settings. ALSO, I am pretty positive many other torrent clients do NOT have this bug!

(I researched this a bit.)

Now, the obvious option is to move to a different torrent client, but I want to avoid that, because it will be hard to migrate all the torrents (over 250) I have, plus I like uTorrent. So, any ideas how to set up uTorrent to behave properly?

• 1 month later...
Guys seriously what is going on? I remember uTorrent was caled µ because it used minimal resources. Now it eats all of my ram as well and no one bothers to find any solution to this. Rip uTorrent.

Um, exact details, please!

What OS? What version of uTorrent? Any other relevant details?

What OS?

What version of uTorrent? Any other relevant details?

Win 7 Ultimate x64, Version 3.3, newest.

Symptoms are same as OP's. Although I do not run that many torrents only about 10. One of them is 77 Gigs, not sure if that is related. But after few hours I run completly out of ram and computer slows down to crap. It only happens with uTorrent running.

OK, that helps!

Now, just one thing - how much RAM do you have?

For me, it is much better now, I think they tried to fix this in one of the latest builds.

Do you use 3.3 Stable or Beta/RC? Try the 3.3.1 RC2 version.

OK, that helps!

Now, just one thing - how much RAM do you have?

For me, it is much better now, I think they tried to fix this in one of the latest builds.

Do you use 3.3 Stable or Beta/RC? Try the RC version.

8 Gigs of RAM in my system, not sure if that is problem. None of any other programs or games I run does this. I will try some Beta/RC versions if that helps, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Your screen shot of processes shows that FireFox is the memory hog ( no surprises there then), uTorrent is only using a couple of MB over the default cache size of 32MB (32768kB)

35604KB == 34.76MB

firefox use only 550mb not 8gb!

that is the strange moment, in processes show that utorrent use 35mb and firefox use 550mb, but why all 8gb of ram are used?!!?!

and when close utorrent then ram use drops down from 8GB to 1.5GB?!?!!

firefox is definitely not involved in this mess!

Your screen shot of processes shows that FireFox is the memory hog ( no surprises there then)' date=' uTorrent is only using a couple of MB over the default cache size of 32MB (32768kB)

35604KB == 34.76MB[/quote']

firefox use only 550mb not 8gb!

that is the strange moment, in processes show that utorrent use 35mb and firefox use 550mb, but why all 8gb of ram are used?!!?!

and when close utorrent then ram use drops down from 8GB to 1.5GB?!?!!

firefox is definitely not involved in this mess!

So .... Please explain how a screen shot of uTorrent using less than a TENTH of the working memory of Firefox proves your point??

IF you ONLY use your machine for uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client for that matter, disabling the Windows "prefetch" and "superfetch" cache CAN improve performance, because nothing else is competing for memory

And kids! Don't try this at home UNLESS you have permission from a grown-up.

Open regedit -> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

backup the keys then edit the values of the EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch keys and set them both to 0

If you are NOT THE Administrator you may need to run Regedit as Administrator to give it elevated permissions.

[h]IMPORTANT[/h]

BACKUP THE keys BEFORE editing

Then you can

Close regedit and reboot

Oh and ....

Did I mention making a backup of the registry keys before editing any values?

If it has it come to that level of expertize needed, you can say goodby either to uTorrent or to Windows... Your choice... :P

Are you nuts? ;)

Have you even seen uTorrent showing x% download progress, and y% progress for the files-tab where y~=x/2 and the cache is full with already finished pieces? No? Guess where (y-x) is... This is Windows stupidity? I call is a bad design of how to work with this 'stupidity'.

In short - poor throttling mechanism under "stress" (=throughput/write-speed >1)...

If it has it come to that level of expertize needed, you can say goodby either to uTorrent or to Windows... Your choice

Did you bother to read the bit where it said if you ONLY use the machine for uTorrent??

For the casual user, which is WHAT uTorrent is really aimed at, going to such extremes are unnecessary, but if people want to run it as they would an eDonkey client, they SHOULD know enough to manage the running environment to allow optimal use.

Just because you regard "your settings" to be fine for every single case does NOT mean they are.

You didn’t show uTorrent write cache tab/config, speeds, and pieces tab in the clip. Are they full? downloading at high speed or to a slow drive?

hope this is what you are asking

utorrent speed tab

http://goo.gl/Tt6lN

utorrent cash settings

http://goo.gl/NnBDG

pc is not used only for utorrent, it is average home pc used for movies, music, playing, internet surfing and of course utorrent.

utorrent starts with windows and most time works in background.

never was this issue with memory, it is show up in last week

don't know what happens - maybe i messed up my pc... haven't do anything funny with it (playing with settings and registers)

And uTorrent isn't the root cause. It's windows' stupid disk caching subsystem.

Yeah, yeah - of course it is not uTorrent's fault! This is maybe why 80%-90% of other Windows torrent clients do NOT have this issue at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You didn’t show uTorrent write cache tab/config, speeds, and pieces tab in the clip. Are they full? downloading at high speed or to a slow drive?

Not sure about the other guy, but for me - HELL NO - downloading ZERO torrents, all drives are fast, only seeding ---> in a few days goodbye to all available RAM!

It seems, however, that the makers of uTorrent tried to fix this issue, so now it eats the RAM slower than before, but it still eats all RAM like all hell broke loose. :mad:

IF you ONLY use your machine for uTorrent or any other BitTorrent client for that matter

Whaaaaat?? 80-90% of other Windows torrent clients do NOT have this issue - do you want me to draw an Excel chart for you for this to be understood properly!?

Not sure about the other guy, but for me - HELL NO - downloading ZERO torrents, all drives are fast, only seeding ---> in a few days goodbye to all available RAM!

It seems, however, that the makers of uTorrent tried to fix this issue, so now it eats the RAM slower than before, but it still eats all RAM like all hell broke loose. :mad:

don't need a few days, it happens in few hours :(

i will have to look for new torrent client, while they are fixing this problem

looks like no one knows how to fix this issue at this time

Your screen shot of processes shows that FireFox is the memory hog ( no surprises there then), uTorrent is only using a couple of MB over the default cache size of 32MB (32768kB)

35604KB == 34.76MB

I think we have a miscommunication issue here. The process of uTorrent itself does NOT eat the RAM, it is the Windows disk/file cache that does it, but that is directly caused by uTorrent. Even when only seeding and not downloading ANY torrents.

Not sure about the other guy' date=' but for me - HELL NO - downloading ZERO torrents, all drives are fast, only seeding ---> in a few days goodbye to all available RAM!

It seems, however, that the makers of uTorrent tried to fix this issue, so now it eats the RAM slower than before, but it still eats all RAM like all hell broke loose. :mad:[/quote']

don't need a few days, it happens in few hours :(

i will have to look for new torrent client, while they are fixing this problem

looks like no one knows how to fix this issue at this time

For me it happens a bit slower, because I have more RAM - had 16 GBs, now have 32 GBs.

Archived