v.3.3.0.29544 - checking 0.0%, flushing forever, process never closes

Balint

v.3.3.0.29544 - The following problem happens almost every day:

A torrent gets stuck at "Checked 0.0%", and uTorrent memory use is unusually high, around 1GB.

uTorrent has to be closed and relaunched, but the uTorrent process never closes, no matter how long I wait. I have to kill it manually in Task Manager.

The above problems seems to be connected to another problem: After downloading a100% of a torrent, flushing to disk sometimes continues indefinitely. After killing the uTorrent process and restarting, the torrent resumes downloading. Sometimes it starts from scratch, sometimes only a part of the torrent is re-downloaded.

Win8 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, Intel i7-3770K, 100/100 Mbit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank's, I will try your settings file!

But aren't bt.connect_speed = 5 and net.max_halfopen = 16

very low numbers for a fast connection?

Win8 Pro x64 (installed on SSD), 16GB RAM, Intel i7-3770K, 100/100 Mbit

Well, as you can see in the tips/guide, the settings file is "specified" for up to 1Mbsp upload rate. So you have to tune it (upload speed limit etc) per your connection rates. As for those two - I think 300 connection-attempts/minute is good enough , and will not break most of the home-routers... It only effects the initial speed ramp-up time. And for uTP connections - that are most of them now - halfopen is not relevant.

Can you also give an example-magnet-link that you had this 0.0% issue with?

Thank's for the response!

The 0.0% issue is not related to magnet links at all, just "ordinary" torrents.

I'm using your settings file now, lets see if the problem comes back or not.

One peculiar thing: after using the new settings file for half an hour, the uTorrent window and icon suddenly disappeared, but uTorrent kept working (the process didn't close). The only way to bring the window and icon back was to click on a torrent link (adding a new torrent). No big problem, but strange.

I'm still on 3.3.0, I'll try it with your settings for a couple of days, then I will move on to 3.3.1.

The settings work very fine so far, I'm now starting seeding thousands of torrents just to see if there are any choking issues (but the maximum number of active torrents (up+down) is 25, perhaps I could increase it to 50?).

If bt.connect_speed = 5 and net.max_halfopen = 16

are not considered low, it makes me wonder why the uTorrent default settings are as high as 7 and 100 respectively.

25 is what the embedded setup-guide recommends. I see no reason to change it, since there are quit a few peers ("slots") in each.

This is the time for trial and error... If you see that (with 3.3.1) your 100M upload is not fully utilized, play with both the # of slots & jobs.

As far as 5/7 - there is no much diff... About 100 - no idea. I think this is since Win default now is 'no limit', and in my opinion, a bad one. As I said, with uTP it is not very relevant.

@Rafi: Your settings work much better in every way, I will keep using your settings.dat file, thank's a lot!

but...

After half a day's trouble-free use, the Checked 0.0% error returned. This is what suddenly happened:

1. No torrents can be rechecked, all rechecks get stuck at 0.0%

2. When adding new torrents they download at full speed, but they are stuck in Allocating Space mode all the time, and when the download finishes it freezes in Flushing mode, nothing more happens.

3. It's impossible to create new torrents, the creation process never starts.

4. When trying to exit uTorrent, the process never closes, no matter how long I wait. When forcing it to close in Task Manager, it takes a long time before the process disappears (first time I have seen this, manually ending the process is usually very fast).

Not so long before the problems started, I had begun seeding a couple of thousand stopped torrents, and most of them were in Queued Seed mode. Now my question is: could this possibly have caused the problems? Maximum number of active torrents is 25.

I'm using my old resume.dat file with 14,000 torrents, and I have 25,000 .torrent files in my uTorrent directory. Could that be a problem even if only say 5000 torrents are being seeded?

Anyway, I uninstalled v.3.3.0.29544 and deleted the uTorrent directory, rebooted and installed the most recent 3.3.1 beta. Then I copied rafi's settings file and my resume.dat and all torrent files to the new uTorrent directory.

So far everything works very fine. Wonder if it matters if I start seeding all torrents at the same time, or if I start a couple of hundreds or thousands at a time?

with 14,000 torrents, and I have 25,000 .torrent files in my uTorrent directory. Could that be a problem even if only say 5000 torrents are being seeded?

Even with 100M upload, those numbers are way beyond "standard"... but, you know, people of the BT world probably thank you for seeding,... :)

Don't expect anyone to test the client under these conditions, tho it is just a matter of queue management and math/bookkeeping. What should really count is the 25 actives, and this is very reasonable with a 100M connection

and installed the most recent 3.3.1 beta....So far everything works very fine.

Great!

Wonder if it matters if I start seeding all torrents at the same time, or if I start a couple of hundreds or thousands at a time?

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if you are on new ground here... No choice but to just try and report back... ;)

Exactly the same thing happened with 3.3.1 beta. All the above mentioned problems occured in the same way, no difference at all.

Once again the problems started when I was seeding 4000 torrents and continued to seed more. It's not a coincidence I guess. But it doesn't make any sense, just a couple of torrents were active, no fast up- or downloads, 99% of the torrents had no peers at all. And when I increased from 4000 to 5000 seeded torrents, the new ones just went into Queued Seed mode.

Could this really cause uTorrent to stop working??

Before I started to use rafi's settings, I sometimes had these problems even when seeding 1000-2000 torrents. Rafi's settings has pushed the critical number up to over 4000.

A year ago I used to seed over 10,000 torrents using uTorrent v.2, and I never had this kind of troubles, not even once. Has something changed in uTorrent 3 that could explain this?

As an experiment I will install uTorrent 2 again just to see what happens. Is v2.2.1 the recommended one? And uTorrent v.1.x, which version is recommended?

Very interesting. Yesterday I installed v.2.2.1, still using rafi's settings file.

I started to seed 13,000 torrents, all at once, they went into Queued Seed mode, and after a few hours they were all seeding.

It works incredibly fine, no choking issues, no checking 0.0%, no flushing or allocating space problems.

The uTorrent process stays stable at 550MB, it doesn't keep growing like in v3.3.

Now the big questions is: why doesn't it work in v.3.3 when it works perfectly in 2.2.1?

Something must have changed in v.3.3 that makes it impossible to seed a lot of torrents. It would be interesting to hear what the developers say.

I do miss some things from 3.3, especially the improved Add New Torrent dialogue window. And in 3.3, if you change the file/folder name when adding a new torrent, the .torrent file also gets the new name. I miss that in 2.2.1.

I tried to increase the cache in 3.3.1 to 512MB, but I still got the same kind of problems.

I can't see why seeding should be limited to the max # of jobs I've set. I have been running 2.2.1 for 24 hours now, and seeding 13,000 torrents have absolutely no side effects at all. I'm very curious why it doesn't work in version 3, what did they change, and why?

I have been using 3.3 and 2.2.1 under exactly the same conditions.

Thank's to rafi's settings it works even smoother now than a year ago when I used 2.2.1 with my own settings :)

They’ve changed the File I/O subsystem so to better support high speed downloading (with less disk overload). Queuing should work fine, regardless, unless you are not explaining the exact use-case conditions. Any screenshots ?

I am also experiencing the "Flushing to disk" issue after upgrading to v.3.3.0.29544. Running on Windows XP Pro. To my knowledge, nothing has changed, but now newly added torrents complete to 100% done, but are stuck at flushing to disk and are not moved to completed folder. Any suggestions?

I am also experiencing the "Flushing to disk" issue after upgrading to v.3.3.0.29544. Running on Windows XP Pro. To my knowledge, nothing has changed, but now newly added torrents complete to 100% done, but are stuck at flushing to disk and are not moved to completed folder. Any suggestions?

I also experienced the sames issues.

After lots of test, remove/install 3.3.0 with different build and try various settings.

Nothing changing...

- Flushing to disk .... forever

- Checked ... 0% for 2 or 3 days

- process never stopped

- finding peers without finding someone.

After a long and boring time, I download the 3.2.3 and It was a marvellous

- Flushing to disk never appear again

- Check 0% for 1 or 2 seconds

- Process stop when you exit utorrent

- finding peers succeeded finding something.

Next time it will ask to upgrade I'll wait for better comment than for this version.

Have Fun

ive posted other places here without reading this post regarding my low speeds in 3.3...

i have the EXACT same problems above posters have, im running Win XP pro. i only have 1500ish running torrents (was 2500ish when i upgraded to 3.3 but i thought it would help to remove some ( torrents i realy didnt want to remove, but in desperate times... etc.).

same problem with prosess not ending itself, endless Checking of torrents and "disk overloaded 100%", non of which i had in last version...

can anyone tell me how to downgrade to 3.2.3 (without losing the torrents i have seeding etc. i have them seeding from different locations etc. so i dont want to add em all again).

or atleast point me to a guide on how do downgrade to a earlyer version without loss of torrents in the client and there individual settings.

EDIT 1: just downgraded to v3.1.3 with no torrent loss and so far so good, everthing seems to work perfectly (knock on wood). downloaded more in the last 5min then i did in the last 2 days^^.

EDIT 2: everything is peachy and v3.1.3 is running smothly with no probs. Devs need to have a lookat v3.3 it seems the new disk i/o (or something else) has a problem with 500-1000+ torrents... its when the client had loaded torrents in that area i started to notice problems...

i only have 1500ish
Only??

In reality that is ~1480 too many.

was ment in context to the OP of the thread...

but yea, its to mutch, but like 1400-1450 of them are old seed im helping holding active on some private trackers...

mostly old "collectors" stuff like old documentarys, old music vids, subtitle files etc. u know... stuff thats DLed once a year at best...

Archived