Icon Missing for uTorrent version 3.3.1 (Build 29782) Windows XP 32bit

Deathdealers747

I would check to see if you have anything in the Boss-Key field in Preferences -> General . If it's a real bother, why not delete the settings.dat in the %AppData%\uTorrent\ directory and set it up again, if it really bothers you. IF, after deleting the settings.dat and starting fresh with new settings and it's still not there, then it is a "bug" in Windows XP. I have no such problem in Win 7 Ult SP1.

I would check to see if you have anything in the Boss-Key field in Preferences -> General . If it's a real bother, why not delete the settings.dat in the %AppData%\uTorrent\ directory and set it up again, if it really bothers you. IF, after deleting the settings.dat and starting fresh with new settings and it's still not there, then it is a "bug" in Windows XP. I have no such problem in Win 7 Ult SP1.

I did all of that and even updated to Alpha 3.4 (Build 29785) 32-bit. Still, nothing changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue... XP SP3, and an invisible tray icon.

In my case, I completely uninstalled uTorrent 3.2 first. Afterwards, I made sure that C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data folders were all gone, the main application folder was gone, and the registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BitTorrent) was gone.

So it should have been a completely clean install. The tray icon was invisible immediately on auto application startup at the end of the install.

I *did* change the default install location. I installed into "C:\Program Files\uTorrent 3.3.1 Build 29812". Not sure if that's what's causing this bug.

Certainly not a big deal, but annoying. This is the first time I've ever had an invisible tray icon with uTorrent, I have been a user since the beginning.

Another little thing, is I noticed in the lower right of the application window, there is a facebook, and a twitter icon. After single clicking each one, they open the uTorrent facebook or twitter page respectively, but, then the icons disappear. They're not just invisible, they're gone, so you can't click on them any more.

Not sure if that's intended behavior, or a bug.

Another little thing, is I noticed in the lower right of the application window, there is a facebook, and a twitter icon. After single clicking each one, they open the uTorrent facebook or twitter page respectively, but, then the icons disappear.

It is by design..Once you click through each they will no longer be available.

NAK9lCq.jpg

SOLVED: INVISIBLE TRAY ICON

The reason of thise case is that Windows XP doesn't support icon compressed as PNG.

New uTorrent icon (lime color) has up to 256x256 PNG (Vista icon).

Older uTorrent icon (dark green) has up to 128x128 (XP icon).

I ask the BT developers to remake a resource that its maximum size was 128x128 without png compression.

Now put one of those files (renamed to tray.ico) with your other settings files (exe?) and tell us all if it works...

I've just created my own 16x16 icon, placed it in the Application Data folder.

Installed 3.3.2.29944 and tray icon is showing exactly as is should (same as in the previous build 29806).

It's a workaround that'll do for me :P

(The tray icon shows regardless of whether uTorrent is installed to Program Files or Application Data).

20130716_22h08m04s_002__zps8d9ca16e.jpg

Archived