µTorrent Linux as Daemon

LyriC

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread :P

Sorry about that.

BUT, I heard some "rumours" (some time ago, some adminpost mentioned it.) about a Linux CLI (with perhaps a Web Interface) version of µTorrent.

And would like to ask about the status on those?

If nothing, i will cry myself to sleep.

If some, i will be a happy forumcamper. and stuff.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

i tried this this (well kinda... i made a script to start it at start up under wine and then told to start)

it seemed to run (i could log in using the webgui) but complained about no display :)

i was wondering if this would cause any problems or if i could stop it looking for a display i tried /hide but that didn't seem to do it

I haven't tested this, but indications on the net show that you can use Xvfb (a virtual X11 framebuffer) to trick Wine into thinking that there is actually an X server running on some non-existent display.

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/2005-August/018695.html

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/TVxb

Taking a script from the latter link and adapting it, I guess you could try something like this:

echo "Running uTorrent:"
export DISPLAY=:1
Xvfb :1 &
wine [PATH TO uTorrent]
killall Xvfb
unset DISPLAY

(replace [PATH TO uTorrent] with the full path to µTorrent like you normally would when running from Wine anywhere else)

At any rate, if µTorrent is running fine, you can most likely ignore the error messages you might see.

thanks that worked :)

if i could stop the logging appearing in the console that i start it in that would be great

eg stop this

HTTP:
HTTP: Accept: */*
HTTP: Accept-Language: en-nz
HTTP: Referer: x-gadget:///gadget.htm
HTTP: If-Modified-Since: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00 GMT
HTTP: UA-CPU: x86
HTTP: Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
HTTP: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.590; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP: Host: 192.168.1.60:8080
HTTP: Connection: Keep-Alive

O.o

Why would you be using the Vista gadget while running Linux...?

Either way, those messages should show up only in the µTorrent logger tab -- not the console. I've never seen it show up in the console either. Additionally, there should be no reason why chucking the logger messages into /dev/null should affect connectability O.o

the gadget is running on another pc on my lan :)

got it :)

#!/bin/bash

USER=torrent
DIR="/home/torrent/Desktop/torrents/utorrent"
case "$1" in
start)
su $USER -c "wine $DIR/uTorrent.exe >& /dev/null&"
;;

*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start}"
esac

edit: as i don't really have any idea what i am doing (i looked at other scripts and tried to figure out how they work) i recommend that someone who does tidy it up and add a stop function

but it works for me as is :)

Archived