3.3.1 close problem

looneyLV

When im downloading for example bluray TV series pack which is 40gb, 50gb or 60gb or downloading bluray film and shut down the computer cuz im going to sleep, in morning i turn on, utorrent turns on and starts to recheck the torrent.

:(And this big file he rechecks SLOW.... about 5 or 10min....

I try to close utorrent first, wait +/- 2, 3min and then shut down pc but the same - as i turn on my pc utorrent turns on and starts to recheck the torrent...

Download directory is not on windows drive© but is on other physical drive(D) what is connected on SATAIII interface(WD Caviar Black)

So there is a problem in utorrent shut down procedure that he dosent 'pause' and then shuts down these big files but just shuts down and when you turn on the programm he needs to recheck it to continue to download..

ANNNNNOYING!

When im downloading for example bluray TV series pack which is 40gb, 50gb or 60gb or downloading bluray film and shut down the computer cuz im going to sleep, in morning i turn on, utorrent turns on and starts to recheck the torrent.

Allow uTorrent time to close cleanly BEFORE shutting the computer down.

When im downloading for example bluray TV series pack which is 40gb' date=' 50gb or 60gb or downloading bluray film and shut down the computer cuz im going to sleep, in morning i turn on, utorrent turns on and starts to recheck the torrent.[/quote']

Allow uTorrent time to close cleanly BEFORE shutting the computer down.

How much is the time?... half hour or half day????

Sorry but I cannot have that time doing nonsense..

P.S. Today I tried to stop the torrent.. waited few minutes, then closed client.. again waited few minutes and then shut down but as i power up again he rechecks. I've waited for at least 5minutes b4 shutting down my computer!

Sorry to say that this project what started as a miracle app that was light and did everything perfect, has become greedy money sucking and lagging shhh.... :(

Well, you do have a choice, you can EITHER; ....

Shut down cleanly

OR

Wait for re-checking on startup.

There is a 3rd choice: bug the devs to fix the bug/issue of not updating resume.dat properly on exit. It should be immediate, and has nothing to do with the extra time it may take to close connections.

The only problem is that this is not in our hands... :P

There is a 3rd choice: bug the devs to fix the bug/issue of not updating resume.dat properly on exit. It should be immediate, and has nothing to do with the extra time it may take to close connections.

Not quite that simple in practice though, there are the pieces that are partially written to disk to consider, so the system either has to commit all completed pieces to disc or have a "rollback" system for uncommitted disc writes, that wiped the partial data from disc before the resume.dat CAN be written. Without that there has to be a recheck to verify what pieces are still intact on the disc.

Aren't partial pieces are in cache, completed are to be written on disk. so? just update the resume when you exit whatever you are done writing... very simple. Also not to recheck, is also not that bad, you just re-download a couple pf pieces... Maybe they should provide an option for that too...

Aren't partial pieces are in cache, completed are to be written on disk. so?
Not necessarily, that is dependant upon cache setting and write coalesce settings. In any case there are the write processes that are active at the point of the shutdown, the cached data can be simply abandoned, as can the incoming in-transit data.
you just re-download a couple pf pieces... Maybe they should provide an option for that too...
Sure, but how does the client discover what pieces are still to be downloaded without a recheck?

If the download was sequential and the pieces were contiguous on the disc it would be a simpler operation (relatively) but given that there is a very high probability that neither of those conditions are going to exist, means that a complete recheck is the only way of verifying the integrity of a 'dirty' download.

By Reading it from (not-up-to-date) resume.dat of cause.

But that would not necessarily be 'safe' from a data integrity point of view, especially if a job was in the process of being moved from 'incomplete' to 'completed' locations. In that situation the entire payload could be compromised, and would require manual intervention to recover.

Not relevant to the issue at hand. And stop debating on edge conditions, and features that only some people use. You can always copy & delete, tho move should be safe too.

The issue was that loosing a few bytes *during* actual download (because of not up to date resume.dat ) is not that bad, and recheck is not required when you can use the resume data.

And stop debating on edge conditions,
Debate is good, it's what a forum should be.

To a developer ALL POSSIBLE conditions count, no matter how remote the likelyhood of them occurring is. When an unlikely condition is ignored or not considered is when 'bugs' start to creep in. The idea of "that will never happen" should not exist in the mind of a programmer. On these kind of 'edge conditions' you and I will rarely, if ever, agree. You think like an experienced end user, I think like a programmer, and as such I will consider and test scenarios that are at the edge of commonsense.

The software engineers watchword is;

"Never underestimate the capability of an end user to screw things up"!

Archived