Upnp Fix Windows Vista Rc1

Alterno

Please stick this thread. :)

run services.msc

Look for SSDP Discovery Service

SSDP Discovery Service - Discovers networked devices and services that use the SSDP discovery protocol, such as UPnP devices. Also announces SSDP devices and services running on the local computer. If this service is stopped, SSDP-based devices will not be discovered. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Do you have any UPnP devices? No, then disable this.

And for UPnP Device Host

UPnP Device Host - Allows UPnP devices to be hosted on this computer. If this service is stopped, any hosted UPnP devices will stop functioning and no additional hosted devices can be added. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Do you have any UPnP devices? No, then disable this as well.

Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper - Discovers networks.

set them from Manual to Authomatic.

after that go to your windows firewall » exceptions » check UPNP devices.

- Alternative way

Go to windows firewall and click on add port, as name put µTorrent, as port put your µTorrent port (check in the application), check TCP protocl restart and you are done.

Odd though... I'd expect it to not matter, considering how the UPnP implementation is *supposed* to be OS independent, meaning OS services should not make any difference (especially since Windows 9x doesn't have a concept of services in the sense that the NT-based operating systems do). I guess we'll have to see... if it is indeed the solution, then (maybe) Azureus enables those services on run, which might explain someone else's good experiences with µTorrent UPnP after running Azureus =o

The prove..

1cs5.th.jpg

Notes.

1. My connection is U:256/384:D

2. You are still going to receive an error, but you are going to download like always. Firion check why that happens please.

3. It took me 2 minutes to reach that speed.

4. I configured Utorrent in my own way, in case anyone want to know my config, e-mail me.

Alterno,

You're definitely on the right track, but I think there is more to it. I spent a lot of time trying everything you suggested (and much more), but I still couldn't get uTorrent to work properly. I can say that of the three services you mentioned, "SSDP Discovery Service" seems to be the only one that affects whether or not uTorrent can map a port via uPnP. When this service is off, it works, but when it is on, it doesn't.

Although turning off the SSDP Discovery Service allowed uTorrent to map a port (which I was able to verify via my router's webpage), the Port Checker continued to tell me the port was closed and uTorrent itself never gave me the green check. I've tried this with and without the firewall and have tried every combination of settings that I can think of, and I still can't get uTorrent to work properly in Vista.

I was checking and I just made it to download at high speed, so sad it didn't work for you, this version of vista is very stable, is time for Firion to start working on Windows vista, Azureus project was working on it since Beta 1, is what I heard not sure about it. I am getting the same speeds with azureus in vista that I used to have with utorrent in windows XP.

Firon doesn't code µTorrent, ludde does. Stability of an OS does not determine when a programmer should start coding for it. Stability of everything underlying it -- knowing that the internals won't change up all of a sudden -- is what's important. Who knows what else Microsoft is going to change in Vista before it's RTM? I don't know if that's ludde's opinion on the matter, but that's certainly how I would see it. So Azureus supports Vista, that's great (really), but I don't even know if (or think) ludde has access to Vista or any developer tools for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived