Remote Control

I would like to requestthe remote control feature, where I can control utorrent running from a remote machine by a browser like IE or Firefox. This feature is like Swing Web Interface for Azureus.

It should:-

- listing the torrent(s) running.

- allow add a torrent.

- stop, start a torrent.

- Set upload/download bandwidth.

That would mean for controling it from work etc, you would need to install it, and hope the company firewall doesn't block the port..

Where as, I'd assuming 100% of corprate firewalls allow port 80, for websites.. (Yeh you could set it to use port 80, but you still need to install it, besides, it's far easier just to visit a DynDNS url, and login..)

The only things stoping me uninstalling Azuerus justnow are :

No plugins (Which would solve this, and loads of other requets.. :( )

No DHT

I still have a few torrents downloading in Azuerus..

I find Azuerus far far more reliable (in terms of speed), which I'm sure is mainly due to the decentralised tracker thing..

Hmm.. Theres tiny programs that allow you to send (sort of) button clicks to a program (Like : Do File > Exit, so you'd do theProgram.exe File,Exit)

Using this, you could do very basic remote control, using PHP and a webserver on your PC..

<?PHP
if($_GET['exit']=="true"){
system("theProgram.exe File,Exit");
}
?>
<a href="theFile.php?exit=true">exit</a>

But it's really basic..

Something that would allow you to add a torrent from a URL, pause/start torrents, set speeds, etc, as mentioned, would be great..

It's a huge shame that uTorrent doesn't support plugins, as a optional thing ("Make a folder called plugin in the same folder as the EXE and put this in"), so people coudl still have their tiny 90kb barebones, efficant Bittorrent downloader, and people that want more features, can have their 90kb torrent downloader, with 300 plugins..

Doing that would mean people who never download using RSS feeds wouldn't need to have this feature, but people that want it, and don't mind the (tiny) performance hit could use it..

Keeps everyone happy, no? :P

- Ben

Well sort of.

What I would like is to have a webinterface run on the port I wish that would allow me to run it on something like either torrentflux(if you guys can talk to them about the software they do, and output a linux version, then... well you would capture about 20% of the market like that!)

Love you software thou, paypaled you $20, (another linux geek looking for the linux version). Of course the $20 was for your work and what a great program you have done.... not to get you to do linux ;-) would be nice thou.

Love you software thou, paypaled you $20, (another linux geek looking for the linux version). Of course the $20 was for your work and what a great program you have done.... not to get you to do linux ;-) would be nice thou.

Hi, I never got a $20 donation, are you sure it went through correctly?

Thanks

/Ludde

Hi, I never got a $20 donation, are you sure it went through correctly?

Thanks

/Ludde

He's a liar.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to resurect this thread to say that I to would like some sort of ability to control uTorrent remotely. I used to use Azureus (like most people around here) and I had the XmlHttp plugin installed, as well as the Dashboard Widget on my iBook, and this made it really easy to have my desktop PC running as a file server, and my iBook would just access Azureus via the Widget (adding torrents, removing, checking speeds, etc.). This was also suppose to work over the internet as well, but I actually never got around to trying it.

I'm sure I could write the Widget, just that I need the right functionality built into the program. I agree that having a plugin system would allow for the 'micro' part to hold true, but also provide a much more expansive program in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this feature would be awesome. But i think there's one problem which is overlooked easily.

(If it's crappy english, i'm sorry)

Íf Utorrent is going to have a webserver feature, you'll probably be able to add torrents to Utorrent by entering the URL for the *.torrent file.

BUT some private trackers work with hashes. That means you'd have to be logged in first to even be able to download the torrent at all. It's not ip binded.

Is this implementable ? :)

maybe it could transfer the torrent files to your local machine, and run them from there.

I'd love to see this too - or better still - have utorrent publish a RSS feed of current torrrent status - it would be relatively easy to do and lightweight, not to mention easier to maintain.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm using azureus right now on a win2k box, I use mac os x as my main desktop and since I'm completely dependant on the azureus widget I would like to see the XML over HTTP option in utorrent to switch, I would be glad to code a widget to utorrent users using this interface.

So +1 from me on this feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived