Utorrent Sending Emails?

Glimmer

I'm using Zone Alarm and the port I have set is in the 5 digit range. I'll try a different one and see if that makes a difference. It would seem that if it was being caused by a bad port choice it would occur much more frequently than is currently occuring. Other Bit torrent apps I have on the same port are not causing the alarms to appear.

I'm using Zone Alarm and the port I have set is in the 5 digit range. I'll try a different one and see if that makes a difference. It would seem that if it was being caused by a bad port choice it would occur much more frequently than is currently occuring. Other Bit torrent apps I have on the same port are not causing the alarms to appear.

Its not your choice of port thats causing it, its someone that you are either downloading from or uploading to that has choosen a port like 25 or 110 wich triggers the firewall.

Software firewalls are worthless since they can't perform the important task of making your computer unreachable. When a software firewall actually takes action, the connection to your computer has been made already, and whoever is on the other end already knows something is there. Software firewalls exist only to let people who understand little about the internet and networking sleep a little better at night under the illusion that their computer is protected. You're much better off heading down to your local computer store and buying a NAT-enabled router, since when configured properly (translation: NOT DMZ'ing your internal IP) it serves as a much better defense against attacks.

Forget about software firewall. Just buy yourself a router instead.........(if you can afford it)

You are joking, right...

What about stuff sending out ?

You need a Router and a Software firewall in my opinion.

By the time something harmful gets to your system if you have a router, it can already disable the software firewall.

The viruses that aren't blocked by the router come by e-mail or websites. If you have a router, you only need to worry about those two sources.

Sure, for people on dialup it's fine, but for broadband, the amount of additional processing done by a software firewall slows everything down.

I'd use a router over any software firewall (ESPECIALLY ZoneAlarm) any day of the week.

But you shouldn't just use an firewall router, you also need an software firewall in my opinion.

You still need something that allows what programs should be allowed to have acces to internet(+detailed instruction of what they are allowed to do), stealth, stop trojan traffic + routers cant tell what programs an attack is made against.

There are more things why you also need an software firewall, but I'm to lazy to write them down :P

Forget about software firewall. Just buy yourself a router instead.........(if you can afford it)

You are joking, right...

You need a Router and a Software firewall in my opinion.

The "stuff sending out" can be easily disabled by the program doing the sending :P Most "hacker" apps I've seen auto-kill most protection software......

BTW, my linksys router was 50$ at Walmart :P

Speedbooster is some proprietary technology they have to speed up wireless connections. I do believe the wireless adapter has to support it for it to work, so it's pretty worthless. Besides that, Linksys routers are quite good, especially if you use the alternative firmwares. Just make sure you don't end up with a V5 if you pick up a WRT54G. (hardware revisions)

WRT54GS is good to get, too.

I do have to mention, the default Linksys firmware limits the router to 1024 max connections, so you'll have to switch to an alternative firmware (such as HyperWRT, get the latest versions from the forums) to change that limit. I have it set to 4096 on mine, though I haven't actually gotten past 800 connections or so. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Switch to Windows Firewall.

It just (doesn't) works. Maybe it works? Maybe it doesn't.

Atleast it doesn't nag me :P

True, that's why I use Windows Firewall, I'm not concerned about software firewalling at all, so I just leave it turned on so that the Security Center doesn't bother me.. :P

Well, first of all, I like to think I have the computer savvy to know "what not to run". Additionally, a router will protect you from any inbound connections unless you manually port forward or use UPnP. (Hint: Turn off UPnP unless you really need it..)

Archived