Upload speeds are up and down

adamscybot

This problem is mentioned elsewhere but a solution was not reached.

Basically 1.1.7.2 (and all the other released I have had) gives out upload speeds that are extreemly unstable.

The graph shows the red line going up and down all the time on all torrents I have tested. My ISP does not traffic shape or anything either.

Downloads are fine and very smooth but I might be forced to go back to Azureus to get my stable upload speeds back.

I'm pretty sure this is some kind of major bug that must be fixed.

What can I do?

Adam

If you are uploading in 10kB/s or slower speeds, the graph will supposedly be more stable.

I do not see this as a problem, but this thread tells more about it: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=1313&highlight=unstable+speed

Or you can try doing as in this topic:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=902&highlight=unstable+speed

P.S. Please use the search function before posting next time.

I see. So it's the graph that needs fixing really

I disagree. I've monitored the graph with an external tool (Netlimiter, but not limiting, obviously) and it's also jaggy. I used the same tool on BitComet, same peers, similar settings and the graph is smooth there.

However, I've noticed a correllation between jagginess and CPU load. Try to run *only* uTorrent and no other processes to check if the jagged graph persists.

My graph usally smoothens out if the CPU calms down a bit.

There might be an advanced setting to work around this issue - I'm still looking...

EDIT: I'm using a fairly old PC - PIII500 with ~300 MB RAM, running XP Pro.

my upload speeds have stayed constantly maxxed out at my bandwidth limit. i have noticed my d/l has become more eratic though, just the other day i was connected to about 15 different ppl with 100% of the file happily going at a 60kbs and then suddenly poof 7 of them seemed to disconnect and speed dropped to about 10kbs. its happened on a fair few other torrents aswell and then a couple of minutes later it reconnects again works for abit then does the same thing again. ( on both public and private trackers )

IMO its just the way the graph is displayed (one of the best speed algorythms going I think).. See, I have seen patterns that resemble functions that look more like RLC harmonic circuits than network traffic.. The most plausible reason for this would be the way the numbers are crunched for the speed graph, the odds that a network is sending data exactly like that is so unlikely that it wuold be worthy of mention in the HitchHiker's Guide..:)

This is a 2 1/2 minute screen dump from DUMeter, as far as I can see each spike represents a second. This is one torrent running, seeding only and connected to approx 50 peers uploading to 6 of them at a time.

Speed varied continuously during this short period from almost 0 to 60 Kb/s. Same problem occurs on downloads but not such a large variation. No other programs running.

This external program should show it's not bad presentation in utorrent. Other clients more or less show a smooth chart in DUMeter.

dumeter9qi.jpg

--

Archived