utorrent dev should look into TuoTu client

kimmchii

if you dont know, TuoTu client is a new bt client currently only available in Chinese,

see this thread for more info:

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=369072

malaysian users were not able to BT for the last 2 months because the only ISP in malaysia has aggressively throttle the lines, but someone discovers the TuoTu client and it is able to bypass the throttling, now the speed is back to maximum for malaysians, i hope utorrent dev implement the same feature in utorrent to include whatever feature in TuoTu that enable it to bypass the throttling, thank you.

It's back to the same set of problems...the reason why µTorrent doesn't already have UDP NAT hole-punching is due to complexities in making it work. And having another program that does it...doesn't really help that without its source code in hand in a useable form that ludde can use.

In other words, very well-documented source code in English or his native language.

I was lucky in that I was a beta-tester for BearShare back when they were implimenting UDP NAT hole-punching for it. So I actually know a little bit about how it works. However even in the "final" form it was implimented, it still had immense problems with duplicate ips, 0.0.0.0 ip, wrong ports, failure to connect due to firewalls besides the ones in routers, and the occassional networking bugs to boot.

It might not be too hard for ISPs to start throttling ALL UDP traffic to 10 KB/sec or less. And that would nearly kill UDP file transfers even before lots of people get that feature.

Not quite. Many games are using UDP and such throttling would (probably) kill them off. The fact is

we have an arms race here, looks like TuoTu with its UDP transfers is one step forward but for how long - time will tell.

I tried it, but couldn't find any English version. I tried running the tcpcrack and it rebooted me without warning. Thanks a lot! I was also able to start a torrent (in English), but still could only dl at under 10k. My ISP I believe switches users to a dedicated low bw server, so I don't see any way to get around that. They actually disconnect users from the main service first.

I then found that the partial music files were placed in 2 separate directories, and just viewing these directories floods memory, even with the client closed. What's going on there?

...and without the sourcecode documented completely and thoroughly in English so ludde can code something similar into µTorrent, the program itself is of little help except for interrogating handshakes for UDP file-transfers.

Reverse-engineering that would be a nightmare.

• 1 month later...

Another user of Toutu here, it works like a charm. With utorrent i couldn't get more than 15kb/s of download or upload speed, and now depending on the torrent i can get more than 150kb/s of dl and use all my upload bandwidth.

As GameSky says, the client is unstable but as long as it bypasses the throttling i don't care.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived