cFosSpeed

Pwnage

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. All it does is change some registry keys in windows. You can't trick your cable modem or DSL modem to give you faster speeds than your internet service provider is providing you. The only thing these programs do is increase your TCPWindowSize and MTU. That can help but I doubt you will see greater than 5-10 KB /sec difference.

You can find them for free too at http://www.speedguide.net/ WITHOUT spyware.

No. All it does is change some registry keys in windows. You can't trick your cable modem or DSL modem to give you faster speeds than your internet service provider is providing you. The only thing these programs do is increase your TCPWindowSize and MTU. That can help but I doubt you will see greater than 5-10 KB /sec difference.

Ive heard alot of people commending this program for managing their bandwidth, i dont care if it makes my connection faster. I just want it to make it so i can download with bittorrent while playing cs.

Some of the forums also said that it helped with bittorrent speed.

I normally get about 160-170kbps, im on a 4 mbps line so it should be higher. Will this prog help with that?

You obviously have no clue about cFosSpeed, so I wonder why you even bothered replying.

Sir, you are misinformed a bit about cFosspeed. I am aware of those programs that you speak of and you are right about those but cFosspeed does not belong in that category. it is traffic shaping software that does work as it is intended. It is not a magic bullet nor will it save the world but to lump it in with worthless software is not fair, I have been using it with a great deal of success for nearly a year now. It does a great deal more than 'just change some registry keys' and it does not 'trick' any providers or modems. It prioritizes certain types of network traffic to give the overall network traffic a smoother flow. And it works that way for me. With it running I can play City of Heroes or Counter-Strike with a 30-50 ping and still download at max bandwidth. That is not adjusting registry keys. If you dont know much about the program that is ok but to slam it because it seems to fit a certain mold is really not fair. to answer the first post, yes, it works as it is intended to, it wont give you faster speeds but it will allow you to fully utilize the speed that you have. And it (at least mine dosent) contain spyware.

well...i got me cfosspeed a week ago and tried it out. I come also from Germany originally..and yes, they dont have cable-modems there,,,,,and yes, cfossspeed also works with cable modems.

BUT...what cfosspeed does is basically bandwidth managemtn and software/QOS...giving priority to or limiting certain protocols over others.

The problem i had with it is that there is EXTENSIVE documentation and all nice and good, but it really is NOT clear to me what it actually prioritizes over what...so i had it running and did some tests and i really didnt know what it actually did to what protocol.

The interface/icon is totally idiotic confusing and i just had a hard time to see how it actually affected my traffic.

Point is...i prefer the minimalistic approach...eg. if i have FTP running then i rather prefer to set (in the ftp options) a upoad limit...and each halfway good bt-client also has an option where i eg. can specify my upload bandwidth so i always know what is running *right now* at my machine with what bandwidth. If i want to game or do extensive surfing while d/l torrents then i just set my max u/l lower in the client.....thats it.

HOWEVER - cfossspeed might be interesting and might need further investigation....the docs need to be clearer and the interface NOT in alien-language/symbols...the icon should be bigger and CLEARLY show me current ul/dl, pings etc. and not in some cryptic 'stylish' code in a much too small icon.

You want cFosSpeed, not cFos. cFos is for ISDN/56k.

cFosSpeed actually replaces the miniport driver to do its work.

You don't need to see or limit upload bandwidth used by an app because that's not the point of it. It prioritizes ACK packets, and shapes upload/download to give priority to a program when it asks, else it gives full speed to the lower priority application, without affecting your ping times or anything.

The priorities page specifies that it automatically prioritizes HTTP traffic as high, FTP and SMTP as Low (second to lowest priority). There's also pre-set applications in the priority list. The built-in filter list for P2P apps are all set to Lower, and you need to add uTorrent to the list.

The mini-interface is just to monitor ping, concurrent connections, and on certain skins, upload and download. The default skin lacks numbers for ul/dl. I recommend changing Net1 to the Liquid Crystal skin so you can see everything more easily, and see your ul/dl. If you want a smaller icon, cFos Numerical works too. Double click will hide it.

You are misinformed a bit about cFosspeed. I am aware of those programs that you speak of and you are right about those but cFosspeed does not belong in that category. it is traffic shaping software that does work as it is intended. It is not a magic bullet nor will it save the world but to lump it in with worthless software is not fair, I have been using it with a great deal of success for nearly a year now.

No offense was intended and it did sound like one of those shitty apps that spread around with viral marketing in email and message boards. I do remember the days when 56K was just the fastest you could get and oh man was it great downloading at 3KB /sec. Some of you may laugh at that but the nostalgia is just incredible if you think about it. So I don't fault programmers for trying to help people in this situation whether it's 56K, IDSN, DSL or a cable modem. However, it sounds to me a lot like a glorified QOS Packet Scheduler. In fact, reading the website, that is exactly what it is. A QoS Packet Scheduler that piggy backs on my damn TCP/IP stack. Not cool IMHO. I'd much rather this task be performed at the router personally as I have many computers in my home and one PC running this software application is going to wreak havoc on the entire network. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a broadband ISP that gives me ~1,000 KB /sec download and ~200 KB /sec upload because half a dozen torrents barely phases my web surfing.

It is a QoS packet scheduler more or less, and it's beneficial because not everyone has QoS (or good QoS if they have it at all) on their routers or know how to use it if they do (the vast majority probably don't have it). And some people don't have routers at all. It's good for the rest of us. It just replaces the QoS packet scheduler miniport that Windows 2000/XP already has with a much much better one, or adds if the original was removed/not present. In all honesty, it does work, and even if you had a lot of bandwidth, it'd help your ping times out when going full speed.

I don't think it would wreak havoc on your network though, it'd just shape the traffic on the machine you install it on, and it would still be subject to the QoS on the router.

I'd much rather this task be performed at the router personally as I have many computers in my home and one PC running this software application is going to wreak havoc on the entire network.

I don't think it would wreak havoc on your network but it probably wouldn't be efficient in traffic shapping. The ACK packet prioritization would still work though so you would have 20% more upstream for torrents. That's cutting back your waiting time by 20% if you use ratio trackers.

QoS is still not widly available in routers but I expect that to change. D-Link has already come out with a "Gamers Router" that offers some crude QoS. There are also third party firmwares that add QoS to Linksys routers (WRT54G series). IMO they are well worth their value as they add a bunch of other very useful features.

For the serious torrenter I really can't imagine not having some sort of QoS. But hey, capping your upstream is a simple tradeoff that will seduce most noobs.

This program is a bit more powerfull than QoS on routers actually. The problem with QoS on routers is that they need to recoginize / analyse packets in order to prioritize them well.For some traffic, this is very difficult to nearly impossible.

You'll also need to have an up-to-date firmware with signatures for all applications / traffic your are using. I don't know of any SoHo-router manufacturer which actually provides such firmwares.

cFos is an excellent application, which is still actively being develloped. I can be set up by any noob, BUT, you do need to be a bit technical to get the most out of it.

Hi

I seem to be missing the point of CfosSpped to be honest, I have it installed, but Im getting confused by different opinions.

Some are saying that you still set Utorrent to 80% as is the norm, but let it use max bandwidth when not downloading.

Some say they have it working fine as (I think) Its designed, let Utorrent run at its max speed and when you browse the Web, the upload/download of Utorrent will get throttled so you can browse and play games ?

I have it running, its not set up just right as you said, as I know a little but am still tweaking, but I have to limit it to 80% or I end up with IE (Finding Google.com then a pause then Googles IP will show up then the page will load) , so I cant see the benefits...its just like me setting Utorrent up to use whatever it thinks is fit, and everything else slows down..

:rolleyes:

You are misinformed a bit about cFosspeed. I am aware of those programs that you speak of and you are right about those but cFosspeed does not belong in that category. it is traffic shaping software that does work as it is intended. It is not a magic bullet nor will it save the world but to lump it in with worthless software is not fair, I have been using it with a great deal of success for nearly a year now.

No offense was intended and it did sound like one of those shitty apps that spread around with viral marketing in email and message boards. I do remember the days when 56K was just the fastest you could get and oh man was it great downloading at 3KB /sec. Some of you may laugh at that but the nostalgia is just incredible if you think about it. So I don't fault programmers for trying to help people in this situation whether it's 56K, IDSN, DSL or a cable modem. However, it sounds to me a lot like a glorified QOS Packet Scheduler. In fact, reading the website, that is exactly what it is. A QoS Packet Scheduler that piggy backs on my damn TCP/IP stack. Not cool IMHO. I'd much rather this task be performed at the router personally as I have many computers in my home and one PC running this software application is going to wreak havoc on the entire network. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a broadband ISP that gives me ~1,000 KB /sec download and ~200 KB /sec upload because half a dozen torrents barely phases my web surfing.

No offense taken and NO you do NOT need this program with THAT kinda pipe and I envy you :P

Archived