super slow speeds with hughes net satellite please help

rkrouth

i have tried and tried to get that little green symbol in the bottom but the best i can get is the yellow one i need help my download speeds are only 0.5 and up load are 0.9 really need help guys i have tried doin just about everything on utorrents website...

I posted a thread just a few days ago, and I am using a hughes satellite system as well. Your problem is probably similar to mine, that you are either permanently firewalled from either the NOC or the Modem, by using NAT.

Not only this but hughes blocks ports, interfering with P2P Apps, and gives you no option to forward them properly. The only possible solution for this, and I'm not even sure if it works, is to Purchase a Static IP from hughes for an extra $10 - $20 a month to be able to forward ports properly.

I was getting about the same speeds as you until I tweaked some settings. I now get anywheres between 5 - 25 or 30 kilobyits per second on most torrents. I got the fastest speed with an open office torrent, getting 100 - 120 kilobits per second, however I still have the red and yellow connection status icons. I believe there is no way to solve this to turn it green, as we are permenantly NAT'd and firewalled, so even if you do forward the ports on the router or hook directly into the modem, it is likely that you'll still have Nat problems with being firewalled by either the modem or from Noc.

Follow the sticky at the top of this forum on speed problems, it contains possible tweaks and fixes to improve your speed somewhat even if you are Nat'd or permanently firewalled.

Then try a torrent from http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html and post back with your speed, and we'll try to help you further if necessary, but don't expect miracles especially with hughesnet ;)

Archived