Best wireless router kit?

fofo999

I would ssay a bit of both together, if u know what I mean.

Here are my recent tests tell me what u think for settings.

3879 / 688 (Kbps)

(473.5 / 83.9 KB/sec)

Compared to the average of 667 tests from bell.ca:

* download is 72% better, upload is 33% better

3499 / 679 (Kbps)

(427.1 / 82.9 KB/sec)

Compared to the average of 668 tests from bell.ca:

* download is 55% better, upload is 32% better

4223 / 680 (Kbps) this one is a ny server

(515.5 / 83.1 KB/sec)

Compared to the average of 668 tests from bell.ca:

* download is 87% better, upload is 32% better

Thks

...? There is no "both" in that question. It can only be disconnecting in general, or disconnecting because µTorrent is running ;\ Since you say "both" then you mean "in general," and not "because of µTorrent." In such a case, this shouldn't be placed in the General forum.

Anyhow, by not telling us your budget, there no real way anyone can suggest a possible router for you to buy.

That Linksys WRT54G seems to me to be a better and better idea... if you're into tweaking. If you want a damn fast and stable router, I've been using a D-Link DI-634M for the past several months and it is BULLETPROOF. I can't say enough good about it.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Super-Wireless-Router-DI-634M/dp/B000BKI6NM

I've got a review in there somewhere...

Some routers tend to "die" after a while so that may be your problem. I've gone through 4 or 5 so far and I think I finally settled on one that isn't going to fall apart on me (like that Linksys one is bound to do eventually). :D

The WRT54GL is very well-reputed around here, whereas D-Links... well, many people have had problems with their products. That's not to say the one Falcon4 linked to above is necessarily bad -- I wouldn't know -- but... meh ;\

Additionally, at about $100 USD, I'd say the D-Link is above your budget (which should be around $85 USD if you're talking about $100 CAD being your budget).

As for Netgear... well, I haven't really seen any noteworthy hardwares produced by them, but I suppose that's because I don't really pay that much attention to networking hardware anyway.

True, I should warn that though it's compatible with UPnP in 1.5, the new code in 1.6 broke it. So it won't auto-forward your ports for you. But the major advantage to the 100 dollar router is the built-in booster ('packet prioritization engine', StreamEngine) which lets me upload uncapped and with no connection tweaks, while still being able to download at above-maximum speeds... if I hooked my computer straight up to the router I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I haven't had to use an upload limit in over a year since I had a booster. :D

That's essentially QoS at work, no? In that case, WRT54GL has the same feature, IINM (or at least it can with either Thibor's firmware, or DD-WRT, and probably others, but those are the two major ones). Beware that QoS might not play nicely with Protocol Encryption, though (or at least level 7 QoS).

Edit: Heh if I actually took the time to click the link, I would've seen that it is indeed a QoS solution :P

Archived