Always choose to "NOT" download something.

Jesse

I wouldn't use this myself but I can see this applied as a useful security measure. I've seen some torrents disguise executables by displaying IE icons so they look like internet links. If you are downloading anything that is not a program it would be very suspicious to have an exe in it.

the sfv are very useful IMHO ,,,it prevents you from reloading 25+ archives since it helps identifying the broken one...besides we'r talking about a few kb at most...are you still on dial-up??

Samples are a different Story altogether...who needs a sample if he already d/l the movie anyways...to pack them together is totally retarded

-DG

• 4 weeks later...

For those asking -why- : If you want the sample first, you will stop everything BUT the sample. Me, I usually check the posts of the torrent for sample screen shots, or just read comments. If someone says the video quality is horrendous, I won't download it. But for the most part, I just download DVD rips and such like that. NFO files are useful in applications, but to me in movie files, not so much. If I need an NFO of a release, I can just goto NFOrce.. The main reason for omitting a sample file is to make the overall time of the download faster so your downloading isn't waste on a file you plan on deleting anyhow.

Another thing about limiting what is downloaded, that some might think is fine, others might disagree: when you use selective downloading, the completed torrent isn't actually completed, and therefore not moved into a directory you choose. (assuming you move torrents once finished).

cuz how do you know the quality of the video before you see it, lol. The tags on the video can lie too, did you think about that.

The sample could not even be from the same file - it could be a completely different movie! If you can't trust the video that you downloaded it to be accurately represented then why are you downloading it?

the sfv are very useful IMHO ,,,it prevents you from reloading 25+ archives since it helps identifying the broken one...besides we'r talking about a few kb at most...are you still on dial-up??

I don't know if you know anything about the BitTorrent protocol but did it ever occur to you that since its target is public distribution using others to distribute your files, that the person downloading is not considered trustworthy? Every piece in the download is hash-checked using SHA-1, which is more secure than CRC32 in .sfv files. .sfv files shouldn't be necessary for a .torrent, they are a relic from when the file was originally downloaded from less reliable FTP links.

Samples are a different Story altogether...who needs a sample if he already d/l the movie anyways...to pack them together is totally retarded

That's why you can download only specific files in a torrent.

• 1 month later...

-1 not as good an idea as it intially sounds.

The problem with most of the files most people don't want/need is their size versis chunksize.

Multi-file torrents often having chunksizes of 1 MB, 2 MB, or even 4 MB.

Many of the undesireable files, such as thumbs.db seldom top 1 MB.

Because torrent chunks overlap files, a small file is often contained in the 1st or last chunk of a large file. Were this torrent to be re-seeded by someone who has lost/deleted the small files, the large file would be unuseable because the 1st or last chunk is missing!

The only way around it is either:

(1) The ignored file/s have to still be on the hard drive but only be correct for their 1st and last chunks...which they share with other files.

(2) Or µTorrent has to maintain a special memory (file?) for missing pieces of 1st and last chunks for large files.

The 1st method results in no savings in hard drive space (unless sparse is enabled), the 2nd would add considerably to µTorrent's bloat.

µTorrent already can not download files by the user's choice...automating this process might cause more torrents to "die" (no complete seeds or virtual copies) sooner.

-DG

erm, but given that TCP is a reliable transport medium, and bittorrent is a reliable transfer protocol, what good is an SFV anyway? ok so the SFV says part47.rar is borked.. if you download it again it'll be the same borked file.. ?

Because torrent chunks overlap files, a small file is often contained in the 1st or last chunk of a large file. Were this torrent to be re-seeded by someone who has lost/deleted the small files, the large file would be unuseable because the 1st or last chunk is missing!

please tell me exactly how you seed a torrent that is incomplete because you deleted files?

if a torrent is incomplete, the client will leech it, not seed it... if the original torrent had thumbs.db and you deleted it, then the client will leech it again before it switches to seeding

I think it's a retarded idea.

it's gonna what, save you 20MB per 700/1300MB Torrent, you wont register on the tracker as a true seeder, so the torrent will appear weaker than it actally is...

by not downloading this stuff you're just removing standards and making the torrent community a worse place than it already is...

and SFVs and NFOs ? what the hell, they're like 5KB.

The NFOs give props to the group who went through the efforts of supplying you with said material, you do realise these groups actually hate the P2P community because people like you guys rip up their releases and do retarded stuff to them without having permission or even giving credit.

and thumbs.db, i wouldn't download a torrent that contained that, obviously a noob uploader and seeder, thumbs.db is a file generated by windows :/

please tell me exactly how you seed a torrent that is incomplete because you deleted files?

if a torrent is incomplete, the client will leech it, not seed it... if the original torrent had thumbs.db and you deleted it, then the client will leech it again before it switches to seeding

I meant "seed" figuratively, because obviously you don't have the missing files and are thus not a 100% seed. If you set up to "never" download those files, you will not be downloading -- only uploading. If µTorrent downloads "never" files...it's a bug and does not change what I'm saying. :P

You are supplying those files to others...just that not only can you not give out the missing files, you cannot even give out the files which overlap chunk-wise with the missing files unless µTorrent is programmed to retain end-chunks.

Super-seed mode might be a bit weird, but it'd probably still work correctly even if you didn't have all the torrent.

Eventually, in an old torrent, the missing files become unavailable due to lack of seeds and virtual copies. This feature would only accelerate that process.

You are supplying those files to others...just that not only can you not give out the missing files, you cannot even give out the files which overlap chunk-wise with the missing files unless µTorrent is programmed to retain end-chunks.

i understand what you mean now..

so, it's not just the case that you cannot give out the missing chunk, its the case that you cannot give out any file that touches the missing chunk too?

suppose i had a torrent with 2 files.. a 2kb NFO and a 700MB ISO. I skip the NFO, so its not downloaded it, so the first piece, of say 4mb will be incomplete.. now because 2kb of that 4mb is the NFO, and the other 3.998 MB is part of the ISO, youre saying that my client can never even distribute the iso either?

Why cant it distribute all the other pieces of the file?

Or can it; and your gripe is that the first piece will never be available for other peers.. I thought the client wouldnt have a problem participating in the swarm because it still has another 174 pieces (700/4mbpiece = 175) it can share..

On this basis, i'd agree with your point that ignoring files harms the swarm - perhaps the logic could be that only files larger than a piece size can be ignored, or that they cannot be ignored (but the client can d/l them then hide them in the recycle bin or whatever).. Sure its gonna rub some people up the wrong way because theyre still downloading something they wanted ignored.. but it's acting in the best interests of the swarm.

What is then faced is the ignorance of the users; they'll claim utorrent has bugs and stop using it.. so perhaps the best option is not to have the feature at all..

User driven software. Yay

µTorrent saves the pieces of files you don't want that share parts with files you do want in the partfile, which is the entire point of the partfile. If you skipped that nfo, it would most likely get downloaded anyway and it would get saved--into the partfile.

for what its worth i also would be interested in auto deselcting sample files for download since i have no interest in them whatsoever. They are a bit pointless anyhow since you can just get the first rar anyway and watch it as a sample.

I agree that small critical files such as nfo/sfv/par2 should always be downlaoded for the sake of the swarm.

Archived