relocating files to another drive

allucaneat

Buy a new hard drive. (Have it) Build in and format. Set the default download location to a (self made) folder on the new drive. And you can continue downloading until that one is full :)

You could move some finished (completed, seeded to a decent ratio and removed from µtorrent) video's to your new drive to give windows some breathing space and to allow your current downloads to finish.

I'm not sure this solves my problem - I don't want to add a new harddrive, I want to move everything to a new PC with it's own Windows etc...

Do I just copy my uTorrent "TEMP" folder to my laptop, install uTorrent on the laptop, set the same paths for TEMP and COMPLETED DOWNLOADS and then re-open the same torrent? Will that work?

I have a similar question, so I did not want to make a new thread... I have a completed torrent that is fairly large. Money is tight so I can not afford a shiny new hard drive for the moment; I have a 40 GB as my main hard drive and a 30 GB as my media drive.

I want to move a completed torrent from the C: (40 GB, where all of my uTorrent downloads point to) to my D: (30 GB, random media and such) and then continue to seed it. How can I go about this?

http://www.utorrent.com/migration_guide.php

I had to do a Google search for a couple minutes to find it... I used the forum search for "Migration Guide" but it is not on here; it is part of the uTorrent website itself, not the forums. But thanks.

In the future, a link would be more helpful than just saying "Migration guide". Some people might spend a long time looking around in the forums for this guide that does not even really exist on here.

• 2 weeks later...

I attempted a migration unawares of the migration guide... silly me. That resulted in utorrent attempting to re-download some torrents. Since it managed to collect a few kb before I sorted the problem out, I now have some insane ratios like 1129.230. How do I remedy this, i.e. is there a way to reset the ratio for specific files or do I have to delete them off the software and re-introduce them?

Sterghios

• 2 months later...

It seems I can't be the first to want to be able to reset the ratio. Couldn't a feature be added?

Logically, when 100 percent of a file is downloaded, downloading stops. So when the download is complete, it would make sense to use the size of the completed download as the denominator of the ratio. Instead, uTorrent sometimes uses a different number. This happens, I think, when the file is moved before the download is complete. uTorrent evidently resets the downloaded amount to the amount of the file that had not been downloaded at the time of the move. This is not logical--especially for a completed torrent.

So when the download is complete, it would make sense to use the size of the completed download as the denominator of the ratio.

Wrong. If someone had already partially completed the torrent contents from somewhere else (maybe got lucky and found identical files from HTTP or something), and decided to resume with µTorrent to get the remaining 50MB (out of say, 1GB), then does that mean the user downloaded 1GB with µTorrent? No. And resuming data downloaded from somewhere else is more common than my contrived example makes it sound.

Archived